I need help from you guys - Please?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. Every piece is a winner but... #1. It looks unique although a little over the top. If going natural, well, I have a soft spot for beautiful Koa so #10.

Personally I don't think you could go wrong with any of the natural woods from those last choices. With a blade that beautiful, in my opinion, you want IT to be the star and your handle to be the supporting cast if you know what I mean!

Either way it's going to turn out killer!

-ah

Looks like these are the 4 most popular with #10 currently in the lead.
With them next to each other it might be easier to choose which you like best.
I like them all but you guys have the final say. Probably see where we are at for the final decision Tuesday.
m001-1.jpg

Thank you for all the help. It is a lot more fun this way than just picking one myself.

I was just thinking :shocked3:
How about Tuesday afternoon we will see which one is the block to be used for the knife. I will also use the random number generator for a drawing. The winning post number can pick one of the runner ups for themselves.

I think ten is going to be the winner on this one, even though I would love to see another live edge handle.

Looks like these are the 4 most popular with #10 currently in the lead.
With them next to each other it might be easier to choose which you like best.
I like them all but you guys have the final say. Probably see where we are at for the final decision Tuesday.
m001-1.jpg

Thank you for all the help. It is a lot more fun this way than just picking one myself.

Rather than vote my own opinion, maybe I can give you my subjective insight and let you choose.
1. Very unusual, and looks like something that would fit in well at your crazy workplace.
5. I like it, but I would cut the exterior off and use the lighter colored part for a "bolster" that was made by nature.
3. Fits your theme the best, it is very stormy-looking, but looks the least like wood to me.
10. The wood I would go with, but only for a wa-handle. Truly a stunning piece of koa.

I like 5 for my first pick and 10 for a second pick!! Either one will look very classy on the knife, without overshadowing the blade!:beer:

I still like #3 but for me it would depend on what kind of handle you were planning on having if it's to be a wa handle I think one of the naturals would work best for a western type handle I think all four are options and would still pick #3.

I really like Eamon's idea of using 5 as one piece of wood, white bit as the ferrule.:thumbsup:

+1 on #5 without the live edge, but not so sure about using the white end for the ferrule.

I'd go with #5 or #3 if you want to be wierd.

Then I would have to go with one of the naturals, #5 for my tastes but only because I dont like koa, that said number ten is a really nice piece, if your into that kinda look.

only because I dont like koa

Dave, you need to do something about this!:nono::spin chair::slaphead::scared4::wink:

:noway: I have never heard of such a thing and as a temporary resident on the islands I am outraged :wink:

Stefan

I knew I wasn't going to get away with bashing the new "it" wood, and I apologize, it just doesn't work for me on knife handles. I could imagine it looking pretty good used for grips on a chromed gun though.

Well, Its a tough call as all of the pieces are exceptional in there own right! Im gona vote 3

No matter what you use from the 4 its gona have a amazing looking handle, have fun and keep us posted!!

I knew I wasn't going to get away with bashing the new "it" wood, and I apologize, it just doesn't work for me on knife handles. I could imagine it looking pretty good used for grips on a chromed gun though.

I resisted buying koa for a few years. I had seen a lot of photos and a few mediocre pieces in hand.
I told myself "no way I am going to pay $100+ a foot for that stuff" Then one day a customer brought me a piece of the good stuff and I have been hooked ever since. A while back I bought some heirloom koa and paid $200 a foot. When I got it I was happy and asked if I could get more.

Off on another tangent.
Nick Wheeler was doing a limited edition fighter a short while ago. One of the customers said he didn't like koa but got excited about a piece of fiddleback mahogany so that is what went on his knife. Everyone else who saw the mahogany thought it was a piece of high end koa.

Obviously number 5 is the only rational choice. What was this for again?

hekler, tk59, johnnychance = Koa haters?!?

What are we going to do with these guys? :scratchhead:

I didn't count things up, just went with the overall feel of things.
#5 Amboyna Burl is the piece I will be using for the handle.

I used the random number generator to select which post number would be the winner.

It selected post #51
Congratulations TK59 - You are the winner!

Whoever had post #51 can select one of the runner-ups for their prize.
Send me a PM with your mailing address and I will put your prize in the mail.

You mean the guy who dont like Koa won Thats just not right!! lol !! LMAO!! Congrats and a great choice Mark!!!!

Well that probably means he wont take the koa!

All those woods are too fancy for Tinh. Do you have a plain piece of cocobolo he could have instead?

Latest posts

Back