J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not speaking for anyone else but my original comment wasn’t a dig at Maxim or JNS. Just making a mental bookmark that new stones will probably be coming soon
I certainly wasn't picking on Maksim, just the Jnat industry in general.

New old stock Hakka suita. Super oxidized surface that should become more vibrant as I lap through it. Very soft and relatively coarse stone - I love it
IMG_9584.jpeg
IMG_9582.jpeg
IMG_9583.jpeg

what is the edge like. I remember trying a soft hakka felt around 8k but hella toothy still.
Haven't had a chance to sharpen with it yet. Couldn't resist playing with it for a few minutes last night when I got home around midnight, but was too tired to do more than rub a kiridashi on it. I think it will probably be closer to the 5-6k range in terms of sharpening based on how it felt on small bevel.

Literally, it hits you as soon as the stone gets wet. Very mossy and pleasant, one of the stronger smelling stones I've used. Hope that sticks around after I lap a mm off the surface this weekend.

Haven't had a chance to sharpen with it yet. Couldn't resist playing with it for a few minutes last night when I got home around midnight, but was too tired to do more than rub a kiridashi on it. I think it will probably be closer to the 5-6k range in terms of sharpening based on how it felt on small bevel.
👀 how much would this one go for?

Moot point I'm afraid, this one is either staying with me or heading to a friend in France if for some crazed reason I decide not to keep it. Finding good soft and coarse suita is much harder than finding good finer grained or harder stones

Unless you get exceptionally lucky, you aren't getting a 50mm thick sunashi suita like this anymore without there being a comma involved in the price tag and, depending on the stone in question, there is a decent chance that number before the comma is >1.

Thankfully, most people don't need to worry about wearing out a stone even half that thickness in their lifetime - certainly not for edge work. The value sweet spot comes with stones that have a missing corner or a slightly smaller face. 190x65x35 is often half as expensive as 205x75x30. You can often get high grade Shobu (or other mine) koppa for a good bit less than $200.

Last edited:
Yeah the years of scare mongering (to artificially inflate prices) that supply of quality Jnats was history are well and truly dismissed.
You guys will be surprised how many crappy stones there is !! it is like 98 %
Now I have not been in Japan for 6 years I have something to compare with
Prices got a LOT more expensive, miners hide now they good stones more or dont want to sell them
it is super hard now to pick usable stones there not even talk about good stones
many stones that I used to carry like Hakka, Ohira range suita they are just out of my reach now even if I can find then they are to expensive for me to sell

But on good news, Old mines have been reopened, and they started to learn how to get good stones out of them
Prices still are crazy but I been told out of 1,5 ton mined you get like 1 good full size stone

You guys will be surprised how many crappy stones there is !! it is like 98 %
Now I have not been in Japan for 6 years I have something to compare with
Prices got a LOT more expensive, miners hide now they good stones more or dont want to sell them
it is super hard now to pick usable stones there not even talk about good stones
many stones that I used to carry like Hakka, Ohira range suita they are just out of my reach now even if I can find then they are to expensive for me to sell

But on good news, Old mines have been reopened, and they started to learn how to get good stones out of them
Prices still are crazy but I been told out of 1,5 ton mined you get like 1 good full size stone
Which mines 😳

To dip my toe in the water I got a few cheap JNATs to test on.

I have tested some edges on them including straight razors, naturally I have been checking the scratch pattern on the razors with a loupe....

Is this supposed to be some sort of joke?

Where scratches? 🤯

Back