kanji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just posted a topic on the Tanakas. Can anyone please see if they can answer my question?

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on this forum!
Really enjoying reading all the threads so far!

Was wondering if someone would be able to help me with this knife.
Want to find out what it is to see if it is worth restoring.

Look forward to finding out what it is!

Cheers,

20141203_180725.jpg

20141203_180702.jpg

I love hearing the knives' Kanji pronounced in Chinese it gives a whole different ambiance.

Hi all,

This is my first time posting on this forum!
Really enjoying reading all the threads so far!

Was wondering if someone would be able to help me with this knife.
Want to find out what it is to see if it is worth restoring.

Look forward to finding out what it is!

Cheers,

The kanji says: "Kikusui Kinsei HonWarikomi", where kikusui is the name, kinsei means 'humbly made' and honwarikomi is 'real warikomi' :)
I can't find your knife on their website, but the prices on these knives don't suggest they are worth a lot of dough. However, they seem to be more interested in selling Mouzoutou, which are imitation swords, and look pretty COOOL!!!

Hello All,

I purchased this left handed 270mm yanagiba used from ebay awhile back. It's unusual, to me at least, in that it has a copper ferrule on the octagonal handle. I've seen plenty of older knives with the brass ferrule, but never anything octagonal. Can anyone help shed some light on the kanji?

Thanks!

Hello All,

I purchased this left handed 270mm yanagiba used from ebay awhile back. It's unusual, to me at least, in that it has a copper ferrule on the octagonal handle. I've seen plenty of older knives with the brass ferrule, but never anything octagonal. Can anyone help shed some light on the kanji?

Thanks!

From what ebay seller did you purchase it? I cant find any lefty knives on ebay

can anyone tell me what it says above the masamoto stamp? I figured the last one is 鋼, but the other two(three?) have me stumped.
ObE3d7m.jpg

can anyone tell me what it says above the masamoto stamp? I figured the last one is 鋼, but the other two(three?) have me stumped.

Welcome to the forum :)

I think that says '純日本鋼' which translates to 'pure japanese steel'.

Welcome to the forum :)

I think that says '純日本鋼' which translates to 'pure japanese steel'.

Thanks a lot. I think you're right. I was hoping it was something special lol :biggrin:

Also thanks for the welcome. I'm a long time lurker. The information here is always so helpful.

Any help with this yanagi? Can get some .better shots if need be.
p5pb12251701.jpg
p5pb12251704.jpg
Thanks for the help.

Not sure if this is the active kanji ID thread but I have a doozy if it is. I know the stone is maruoyama but some of the kanji are obscured by years of use.

Any ideas?

Yellow suita. 黃色巢板

六型菖蒲宗五郎山

Thanks Xoomg, does that mean type 60, shoboudani something something mountain?

Thank you
No indication on what steel is it right? I am being offered a 120mm deba and I am on the fence about it.

Thank you
No indication on what steel is it right? I am being offered a 120mm deba and I am on the fence about it.

The steel type is usually stamped on the opposite side of the blade

Back