kashima sanjo impressions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cookie cutter knives. I think knockoffs to go has the same stuff under a different name as well.

I´m interessted in this line aswell, especially because you can buy them without a handle, choil shot dosnt look like a cookie cutter knive so have you tried it or how do you know? Also had good experiances with cleancut

how can you tell that just by look? yeah the mazaki looks nice but i want at least stainless cladding for my 210 gyuto

I don't know anything about it but the description says, "The geometry of this knife is something out of the ordinary. The leaf ridge is relatively strong while it has well-balanced tapering and a very thin egg.":scratchhead:

any difference with JNS mazaki vs cleancut's? cleancut does look like to have a better finish or is it just the pictures?

Cleancut certainly push it (the Kashima Sanjo) as one of their better knives, in favour of stuff like Shibata Kotetsu and Takamura R2. I guess they would prioritise selling their house brand, though.

Curious to know what/why the Mazaki gyutos are so appealing to those who have bought them? Seeing a lot of threads and posts about them. What's the scoop on these knives? Or are they popular right now because they are a relatively new offering? Someone enlighten me

Curious to know what/why the Mazaki gyutos are so appealing to those who have bought them? Seeing a lot of threads and posts about them. What's the scoop on these knives? Or are they popular right now because they are a relatively new offering? Someone enlighten me

Profile, white steel, and run long (added benefit of relatively low cost)... This is the preference of many users

Waiting on Panda's confirmation, but cleancut has it listed as 25cm. I think there is also some appeal that he trained and continues to train under Kato.

Ive been really curious about these. Will be looking at the otber thread for your thoughts.

how can you tell that just by look? yeah the mazaki looks nice but i want at least stainless cladding for my 210 gyuto

i was probably drunk when i posted that, dumb post i agree. but i am guessing i made an assumption cause it appears sand blasted and the looks reminded me of hiromoto which lead me to be let down that it is stainless clad and not iron like i originally thought.

i still think it resembles gengetsu and wakui. someone should give it a try! cleancut has been a blessing to deal with, and im still shocked how fast it arrived from out of country. not to mention free shipping. i would gladly go through them again.

Bumping this thread...anybody tried kashima sanjo yet? I have a hungering to rebuy a wakui hairline but it’s more fun to try new stuff. Will I be the first on this continent to own one?

Bumping this thread...anybody tried kashima sanjo yet? I have a hungering to rebuy a wakui hairline but it’s more fun to try new stuff. Will I be the first on this continent to own one?

I true pioneer just forages ahead without asking.

I've ordered one. For some reason I had impression it was stainless clad, not iron. (Comparisons to Gengetsu helped with that) May be a quick turnover.

Did you just order one now? Would love to hear your impressions when it arrives! I think it's stainless clad though - "The stainless blade sides have a matte finish and the carbon steel core is polished to a shiny finish."

Can't find the stainless word. From cleancut website:

Kashima Sanjo is a wonderfully fine series that is forged in Japan. The knife has a carbon steel shirogami # 2 core that is very lightweight and takes an impressive sharp edge. The geometry of this knife is something out of the ordinary. The back of the leaves is relatively strong at the same time as it has well balanced tapering and a very thin edge. Because the knife is so delicate, it is necessary that the knife is used correctly so that damage to the blade does not occur (read more about correct handling in our knife school). The blade sides have a rough finish and the core steel is polished mirrorless. The feeling in the hand is superb. The knife has nice weight while it feels pretty and delicate. This is a real winner that we are very proud of.

Can't find the stainless word. From cleancut website:

Kashima Sanjo is a wonderfully fine series that is forged in Japan. The knife has a carbon steel shirogami # 2 core that is very lightweight and takes an impressive sharp edge. The geometry of this knife is something out of the ordinary. The back of the leaves is relatively strong at the same time as it has well balanced tapering and a very thin edge. Because the knife is so delicate, it is necessary that the knife is used correctly so that damage to the blade does not occur (read more about correct handling in our knife school). The blade sides have a rough finish and the core steel is polished mirrorless. The feeling in the hand is superb. The knife has nice weight while it feels pretty and delicate. This is a real winner that we are very proud of.
From the cleancut website:

NOTE: Shirogami # 2 is not stainless. However, the cap around the core steel is made of stainless steel that will not be significantly affected by moisture and raw materials. Remember to always wipe the egg dry to avoid rusting. Since the steel is reactive, a patina will occur relatively quickly. If you cut into proteins, a blue and green patina will appear, while vegetables will produce more of a gray and brownish patina.

The knife has not shipped yet - they said they needed my phone #. I asked to ensure I was ordering the stainess clad variant. Should know in the morning.

Thanks so much Dave, taking one for the team. You're probably the most qualified person who can compare it to the Gengetsu thanks to the many that you've used :D

Back