Kenji Togashi Custom Honyaki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey. I figured i might as well make a post here. A couple guys have, or will send me their blade for thinning down. I can probably take just a batch and work through them if people are interested. Idk how many of these were in this group order.

My only thing is, i would really like for it to only be within the us, if people send them. Just to make mailing them back out easier.

Haven't worked out the exact price. And i'm sick right now. I think i have the flu or something. Hopefully i should be up and back to work in a day or two. But basically i can probably keep it more affordable if i'm just thinning it down, and sending it back in a condition ready to be polished. So that would be using my grinder. Then probably sending it out after doing coarse stone work.
Hope you feel better!

Would definitely be sending mine your way if I didn't find someone else who could help me. This is a super nice offer
Yeah. I had considered posting something here before but i was still working on that last batch so i just didnt have the extra time.

Now that im mostly done i can probably get these knocked out before starting the next one.

Oh yeah. I went ahead and tested the one i already have in my possession.

IMG_20240130_175643737.jpg

I did 2 other tests. The other two came out around 65 hrc. So this thing is pretty hard. Since this isnt completely flat it isnt going to be absolutely accurate but good enough to give an idea.

I had a bit of energy so i started grinding a little. Definitely some wonkiness in the grind...

Perfect example of why you can't always judge a knife from the choil.
IMG_20240130_192010740.jpg

On this the grind at the heel is much thinner than the rest of the blade particularly near the middle.

I mean obviously this isn't a normal case. But still.

Also. Man my heart goes out to anyone that decided to try and do this by hand. Probably would take literal days once you ad up the time spent. To get it properly thinned.

Oh yeah. I went ahead and tested the one i already have in my possession.

View attachment 296996

I did 2 other tests. The other two came out around 65 hrc. So this thing is pretty hard. Since this isnt completely flat it isnt going to be absolutely accurate but good enough to give an idea.

I had a bit of energy so i started grinding a little. Definitely some wonkiness in the grind...
Winter honyaki extra hardness confirmed!!!

So nice being able to see japanese knives get hardness tested, since that is def not the norm. I would love to know what tanaka and nakagawas are really ran at, but that's a bit harder since they dont have tons of extra meat to play with.

Winter honyaki extra hardness confirmed!!!

So nice being able to see japanese knives get hardness tested, since that is def not the norm. I would love to know what tanaka and nakagawas are really ran at, but that's a bit harder since they dont have tons of extra meat to play with.
Yeah. Many Japanese blades being san mai really makes it hard in general to test them.

Looking a lot better.

Before

View attachment 297389
After.
View attachment 297388

Considering polishing it too. Just for my own curiosity on what it will look like. For anyone else that sends me one dont expect me to do that lol.
Fantastic work! Wish I'd sent you mine (but I think it's in very competent hands as well).
Maybe it's time for a Togashi/Blank Blades massdrop? :D

Fantastic work! Wish I'd sent you mine (but I think it's in very competent hands as well).
Maybe it's time for a Togashi/Blank Blades massdrop? :D
I would be willing to do a batch with someone that wants to do the handles 😂. My least favorite part.

After i get the heat treat grind, etc done. The work gets a lot more tedious and slow.

You guys that bought these are probably going to be excited about this one.

I did a test etch just to see what to expect with a full polish.

IMG_20240203_024558420.jpg

IMG_20240203_024741183.jpg

And yeah. Crazy crazy banding on it alright.

(Dont mind the other stuff, its just not a perfect polish, and not a perfect etch so you can see parts where it has smudges)

I’m curious what going on here?

View attachment 297781
That’s a tempered spot where the hamon line sweeps up and meets the spine. Honyaki often crack there so they heat that one spot in particular to make it soft. You’ll have to find a way to work around that, can’t do aggressive full dip etches as easily.

Idk why i never feel like pics of a taper capture how they look in person.
IMG_20240209_131658007.jpg
IMG_20240209_131600277.jpg

Anyway forgot to take a before pic. But this definitely feels like a completely different blade.
@NickMinton
Still needs a bit more 60 grit work. And i still need to go up through the grits on the belt grinder after that.

Back