Khao men

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That paper towel cut... impressive indeed... are you someone that could get a can lid that sharp with a scythe stone anyway, or is that really a specialty of that thai stone?

Full disclosure.

1. The towel isn't free hanging, the slight bit of tension from its attachment to the roll aids things a little.

2. It's a pull cut and not a push cut. If I was push cutting through free hanging paper towel I'd be less self deprecating.

That said, with the same knife and the same paper I couldn't get a cut that clean from an Aizu or Tsushima with as little resistance. If I take the time with a maruoyama shiro suita and let slurry build up, break down and then gradually dilute it, I can get a similar result, but not as quickly. So there's certainly something to be said for the inherent quality of the stone.

I mean in regards to people who are ordering some after otto's post.. Seems like everyone's photo has one included.. Was weighting up if it's worth it.. Not an issue with price, more so with the space it takes up at home since I already have a few coarse stones that I hardly use

The white binsui is about 1.2k in grit or so I was told. So it's not that coarse anyway

Nice looking stone. I might just have to order one.

I'm relatively new to naturals, but this stone feels like it loves some pressure. Any thoughts from other users on this?

I reckon I use more pressure on my Choseras than I do on the Khao men

But for a relative scale - It needs more pressure than my aoto, monzento , Aizu and Numata. But requires considerably less than Tsushima, hard takashima & yaginoshima. And not even comparable to Ozuku asagi

Interesting, I definitely use lighter pressure on my synthetics.

Though I would say more pressure than my Aoto, less pressure than Thai Binsui, and less pressure than Nakayama Namito. I'm definitely still learning.

what knife was the togo reigou and tell us more about the steel!?

I kept this one under the radar as there seems to not be all that much Konosuke love around here and it came in with a glut of other knives. It's the Kurogaki handled Fujiyama from Tosho.

It's not real Togo Reigou, in that it's not Andrews of Sheffield. It's from a billet of vintage Swedish steel that behaves very similarly in forging and sharpening according to old timers in Sakai.

It's good stuff, whatever it is. Nice to sharpen but holds the toughest burr I've ever experienced but once deburred, it takes a steep, sticky edge and holds that edge for a very long time. Still haven't taken it to the khao men as it simply hasn't needed it after a few months of opening up.

hiho!

ill order my stones the next days. miles also sayed he uses them for his razors.
sounds pretty what i was looking for.
2 khao men and a white grey binsu to germany. and his brother already built the box for them ;)

cant wait to get them! ;)

hiho!

ill order my stones the next days. miles also sayed he uses them for his razors.
sounds pretty what i was looking for.
2 khao men and a white grey binsu to germany. and his brother already built the box for them ;)

cant wait to get them! ;)

The box is a real nifty touch as it created an internal compartment that perfectly contains the stone. I forgot about that.

Hiho!

Well i was kind of shocked that i allready got the box with the Stones ;) !
super solid packaging with a package around that nailed wood box and the stones were in styrofoam custom fit for it..

C1O7GZs.jpg

first of all the khao men is awesome! splash and go.. well just a little water on it and thats all and it made super instant mega mud with my super dull and fine dmt.
It has a veryvery silky feeling and seems to be also nice and fast.. i tried it on a really dull hinoura aogami super suji first binsu and then khao men and a nice zero angle grind.. holy crap it was a nice razor! and smoothly removed every hair from a spot ;)

sooo i really have to thank you guys for the info about this T-Nat which is really breathtaking good!.

The finishing of the stones is good to.. they are perfectly flat ..one side is ready to go and the other sides seem laquerd or something.
corners are strongly and nicely rounded an the edges are all flat.. the binsu was flat and ready to go from top and bottom.

i am really havin stone friday because i also got 2 mystery super fine finishers that also seem to be good..
ill guess ill make some video or stuff about this nice black rock.

Ah the grey white binsu is also very cool. surface has some su like holes but still very solid and smooth.. it makes not easily slurry but feels really hard!.. nice stone and ill experiment a bit mor how to use it best , after or instead of the JNS1k.. The size of this stone is just godlike ;)

best regards, daniel!!

Hi!

Yep i tried both .. size was nearly exactly the same (some mm difference thats it)
Well they both seem to mee equally smooth..

slurry is done super fast and they feel the same to me. what i like about the stones is that you can actually give a knife a finish . miles told me he uses the khao men for his razor.
i actually got what i was looking for ..something cooler than JNS red aoto and as a natural stone with smoother surface.

so it was also super fast with the shipping from thailand to germany! i espected it muuucch later.. it was shipped on saturday 13 and its here within a week! NICE ;) so i can try them all this weekend .
best regards, daniel

Can't wait to get mine. Hope you make it to the post office tomorrow :wink:

i gotta test those stones more, but i totally like the feedback of the khao men.. i guess the red aoto will have stronger polishing power , but ill have to try more and i guess there's a little learning curve with those bricks... such a huge brick for such a good price was just to interesting for me so i could not resist to try;)..

For the sake of balance and to not come across as a complete shill for these - I've found the first application they are not suitable for. I was polishing a takobiki and assumed this would be perfect. It was too grabby and it was difficult to maintain the constant motion and pressure essential to an even polish. I have dropped it from that progression. That said, Krassi's impression very much echoes my own and it's really good on double bevel knives and I also find more and more use for the binsu.

ha, just chatted with him. He's good at upselling, for sure ... haha!

Well, if you have not read this thread: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...ing-much-better-or-jnat-than-the-JNS-Red-Aoto
I´ll just make sure to make a note of it. I have put down a few thoughts from my T-nats.
I can only recommend these stones.
The Khao men is a bit slow and not so fantastic on the 52100 steel, I have learned. But all the carbon steels are great with this stone.
Dreamy and soft as silk (it feels softer than my JNS 6k stone, and even the ohira suita I just bought from Krassi). But it does not dish as you would expect it actually stays prety flat.
Kind of: the best of two worlds.

However, If he is trying to make you buy an orange one: Just do it!
You can leave out the white one, but get that orange brick......

Ah nice @jaknil i am glad the stones arrived safe ! ;)
ahh well i passed on the orange one because it would have been to many stones.. well maybe another time .. grey white one is not really fast, but actually makes a nice polish.
i actually am very happy with my 1k jns and will try jns first and then the binsu

is there actually any need for a jns 6k or something before going on ohira and more if i use the khao men? what are you using "khao men guys" ;)

The Khao men is a bit slow and not so fantastic on the 52100 steel, I have learned. But all the carbon steels are great with this stone.

But 52100 is also a (non stainless) carbon steel.

How would you describe the orange one, how is it compared to a synth? Commonly one reads that for coarser grits the synths are better.

Well, if you have not read this thread: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...ing-much-better-or-jnat-than-the-JNS-Red-Aoto
I´ll just make sure to make a note of it. I have put down a few thoughts from my T-nats.
I can only recommend these stones.
Dreamy and soft as silk (it feels softer than my JNS 6k stone, and even the ohira suita I just bought from Krassi). But it does not dish as you would expect it actually stays prety flat.
Kind of: the best of two worlds.

Didn't talk about the orange one. Which ones that?

Back