Kippington workhorse honyaki pass around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, does it add much to the cost of shipping to have another knife in the passaround? Like, two knives going around together instead of just the one?

I made a thin knife (concave both sides) that would be a nice contrast to the thick grind.
I'm considering sending this with the passaround if it's a cheap thing to do.

O6EtnQl.jpg

If it's costly I won't bother.

kip what was your idea behind the dual concave grind? max food release? that looks way too thin at the edge, lol, you know someone gonna chip the hell out of it.

dave - you're not gonna like it, it's carbon! :D

Max food release? More like the worst food release possible haha!

I made it to push the limits of my heat-treatment (before I got the temp controlled oven), and to see how a 'thin behind the edge' knife would perform in a real world kitchen with the average user.

It sticks to everything, but goes through things like they're not there! It's also amazing how fast this thing sharpens with so little steel to remove. A couple of swipes up and down a 4,000 grit polishing stone and the bevel has been reset!

oh, i was thinking about takeda grind, not fully concave from spine to edge. you right, i bet that thing sucks in every food like a vacuum. i would love to see more updates on all your projects, do you have a blog or instagram?

Unfortunately no, I'm not much of a social media person - I don't even have Facebook.
It would be wise of me to set up an Instagram account though. Just gotta knuckle down and do it.

Added shipping cost on a second knife would be minimal, couple bucks, that knife looks exciting but also looks like you would have to be uber careful with technique as any lateral pressure would destroy it, you should take more pics and get that instagram account rolling.

Good news! Double passaround has been confirmed! :biggrin:

Marek07 - the owner of the thin knife - has been kind enough to humor my proposal to send it out West (I probably should've run it past him beforehand).
It'll be sent out to the first person on the passaround list (I believe it's Pensacola Tiger) as soon as we can confirm an address. Hopefully the knife won't take longer then a couple of weeks to get there and the passaround goes along as planned.

No suji on the cards yet Panda. I'm gonna stick to making gyutos for a while.

Marek's knife should be touching down in the US in the next couple of days.
I know this is obvious, but I have to stress these points:

• DON'T use coarse or medium stones on this knife. Removing only a small amount of metal will reset the entire bevel
  • DO try the knife on fine stones, 4,000 grit and up. It would be nice to hear some opinions on sharpening feedback.
  • DON'T cut hard items with this knife (no thick pumpkin skins)
  • DO absolutely use it to cut potatoes in half. I'd love to know if anyone has a knife that can fall through food better (or quieter!) than Marek's 'laser'
Neither of these knives belong to me, so I'd like to give heartfelt thanks to both Marek and Craig for sending out my work for preview. This post is to help get the knives back to their respective owners in good condition.

Feel free to post any thoughts or criticisms - good or bad. I don't make knives for a living so it's not like bad reviews will hurt my income.
I mostly do this to keep learning about blade performance and design (and coz it's hella fun!). Hopefully these two knives on the opposite ends of the laser/workhorse spectrum will help showcase that.

in other words research/feedback from workhorse vs laser will result in hybrid next? =P

Actually, I leaned a lot about the transition from workhorse to laser from making Craig's knife. A long tapered blade, even if it's thick at the heel, can still perform like a laser towards the tip. Food release gets worse but separation gets better as the spine shrinks - we all know that right? How that transitions from thick to thin along the length of a single blade-face was fascinating to me, and was something I hadn't considered till recently. A heavy taper lends itself to a multi-functional service - highly dependent on the users' arm motion, as well as the location (and direction) of the cut in relation to its distance from the handle.

VXzdZVS.jpg

You are essentially right, my next project is a medium weight knife with the food release of a workhorse and the separation of a 'laser'.
Well that's the idea anyway, drop everything and go straight for the unicorn! :biggrin:

I can’t wait until people see the distal taper on the workhorse that Kippington just shared a photo of. It’s quite impressive in person.

Before I let go of my Kippington, I just wanted to remind everybody why I’m doing this. I love this knife. I don’t want to be without it. It saddens me just to know it won’t be in my roll when I open it at work and set up my station. But it would help Kippington to get some feedback and discussion going about his work so far. Also, I want him to get some more exposure here. And I want some others to share in the experience of Kippington workhorse awesomeness. So please let’s hear some thoughts about this knife both positive and negative.
Merci Beaucoup

So, I didn’t initially respond to this because I thought you’d probably want to send it to people who’ve been around on the site longer. However, on second thought it doesn’t hurt to ask. I’m in Boston (maybe someone else on the list is in New England too?) And if you want more info on me you can find me on google—my handle’s my real name. Again, totally understand if you want to keep the rotation to more experienced members, but thought I’d ask.

So, I didn’t initially respond to this because I thought you’d probably want to send it to people who’ve been around on the site longer. However, on second thought it doesn’t hurt to ask. I’m in Boston (maybe someone else on the list is in New England too?) And if you want more info on me you can find me on google—my handle’s my real name. Again, totally understand if you want to keep the rotation to more experienced members, but thought I’d ask.
Thanks for the interest but I think I would rather keep this pass around exclusively for more seasoned forum members.

Back