Kippington workhorse honyaki pass around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I’m not exactly sure how much postage costs to return Marek’s Kippington back to him in Australia(with insurance) but it would great if everybody could donate a few bucks to help make that happen.

I'm willing to throw in some cash to help you send it back. I believe PT has also kindly offered.

Also, I’m not exactly sure how much postage costs to return Marek’s Kippington back to him in Australia(with insurance) but it would great if everybody could donate a few bucks to help make that happen.

I'm willing to throw in some cash to help you send it back. I believe PT has also kindly offered.

Priority Mail International should cost around $55 plus insurance for any value over $200.

I agree that it is more than fair for anyone who participates in the passaround to help cover costs back to Oz. Just let us know the best way to do this.

Priority Mail International should cost around $55 plus insurance for any value over $200.

Thanks. So there’s 10 participants, if everyone donates $6-7 that should pretty much cover the costs( I’m guessing that will pretty much cover insurance too). We can wait until the end collect the funds. Sound good?

Hah, I'd need to buy stock in thicker cross-sections to make more!
Lets see how these knives get reviewed first. :)

I will try to in the future. Right now I've stockpiled up on 1095, enough to make about fifteen 240mm knives. I'll work on these before I buy more steel.
Now that I have a heat-treating furnace, I'm actually thinking of going for one of the powdered steels. I'll make up my mind depending on how the next few months go with the 1095.

I will try to in the future. Right now I've stockpiled up on 1095, enough to make about fifteen 240mm knives. I'll work on these before I buy more steel.
Now that I have a heat-treating furnace, I'm actually thinking of going for one of the powdered steels. I'll make up my mind depending on how the next few months go with the 1095.

Stick with carbon please! Nothing wrong with 1095, or O1, or W2, or... :)

Stainless is probably an easier sell to the masses than non-stainless. Although if you anticipate your target customer to be like the average knife nut here, that's not as important. I hardly ever use any stainless in the kitchen myself.

Yeah thats one of the reasons I bought the temperature controlled kiln - For its ability to do stainless knives. I've lived with enough housemates to see that there's absolutely no way the average person would be able to keep a super thin carbon knife in reasonable shape.
They've managed to rust my house-share knife, a VG-10 shun. I'm not even mad... I'm impressed!

Is the Kipp laser also w2? It would be pretty cool if it wasn’t, I’d personally like to compare the 2 steels to each other.

They are both W2. No comparisons, unfortunately.

Are you making knives too dave?

There's a "Dave B" over on hypefreeblades who has made kitchen bladesmithing posts over the last month.

I’m a little late to this discussion. I don’t expect to be put on the list here, but chiffnod, if by PNW you mean Seattle, I’d love to sneak a peek while you have it. This knife looks amazing, I’d be willing to drive, a bit.

Not me. I can make dinner. I can make a mess. But I come up short in the mechanical aptitude department.

But the world does need more stainless sujis.

hey pt cruiser, you should do a video! and include two knives that these two examples remind you the most of for comparison sake. i really like that youre the first in this passaround since youve tried anything and everything out there.

hey pt cruiser, you should do a video! and include two knives that these two examples remind you the most of for comparison sake. i really like that youre the first in this passaround since youve tried anything and everything out there.

No promises on the video, but I'll try.

I have both knives now and will be using them this weekend. Stay tuned.

They both arrived on the same day? Sweet!

Pandas suggestion on comparisons to other knives is a good idea. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Back