Kitchen Slang

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haha chefuccinno

too bad I drink coffee like a maniac literally never any to leave

We are required to say oui chef/yes chef where I work right now just a sign of respect and keeps the kitchen working properly and everything on time old school fine dining french it works well if you ask me sometimes I forgot to say it and then feel like a real *******

"What's black and lives in the oven/under the salamander/in a pan?" A question posed when someone is letting something burn

"What's black and lives in the oven/under the salamander/in a pan?" A question posed when someone is letting something burn

Yup... Heard that a lot. However sometimes I feel that by the time someone's said it they could have rescued the thing anyway rather than letting it burn and being a smart ass :)

I've also considered buying / making a small black doll and hiding it under the salamander... Call her something like....oprah.
Then I can say "oprah lives there and why the f**k are you letting bread burn?"

A little effort but worth it

Another spanish one that's all over Chicago ...

Chingadera .. That's how it's said not spell. It's Spanish for "little thing"

"Hey! Gimme the chingadera! No whay! The other chingadera with the black handle"

We always say it just before it's burnt, so they can save it. The look of panic is usually priceless.

The absorbent meat pad in packaged meat products is called a tampon and I probably shouldn't say this but if you ever hear a waiter talking about Canadians... Well then your waiter is a racist. Just a heads up. 95% of the slang I hear is spanish. Like guey, chapin/a, no jodas, vato, pizado, chingone, mariposa, maricon, puto, gordo, chino.

Out of curiosity, why would a waiter be racist if he's talking about Canadians?

In the US waiters will say things like "those Canadians stiffed me." They are really referring to a minority not Canadians. A way to be racist with out people knowing. Although I don't know how appropriate it is to talk bad about a whole nation of people either but we're not dealing with the smartest people. I do know it is not just a regional thing either. I've heard it in restaurants all over the States not a lot though. Thankfully.

Thats interesting. Most Canadians I know tip 15-20%, so you're clearly right when you say you're not dealing with the smartest people.

Honestly waiters/servers piss me off more than anything else I have to deal with at work. More so than the customers even.

I like chefucino a lot, we use NeStaffee for the staff coffee pot that needs refilling like 4 times a shift

buey of course, and artiga which means squirrel i think

I worked at a resort in Arizona that received a lot of Canadian travelers during the Spring months -- I can most assuredly say that a majority tipped lower than the standard gratuity and it is absurd to say that it is 'racist' to say such a thing.

For everyone misunderstanding Canadians is a crass euphemism for black/African American/whatever the PC term is.

To offset this actual kitchen pictue

Never heard it used like that in the kitchens I've worked at.

ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1390434898.081906.jpg

It generally identifies the user as an *******.

Canadian is code. I use it. Have for years.

Doesn't make me a racist.

At my old place where we had a huge attented station brunch buffet, as we cycled from kitchen to floor we would refer to attractive women as "cheese". And of ciurse use different types of cheese to refer to the age of the woman and/or color of dress being worn.. that was a great cheese cave on mothers day and easter. But every sunday was fun

Vultures = FOH before staff meal.

Vulture feed.

Also "CRAWW!!!"

Damnit I keep looking at my coffee as chefaccino lol. I pour it hot and prep then drink it cold. I've called parsley sprinkles and mote. Andirons guess working in the south I call the spider a banjo.

Chicken pot pie = chicken pie, chicky pie or chicken mota

Sheppherd's pie = sheppy

Sandwich special = Sando because that's obviously Spanish for sandwich.

Prime rib on a kaiser roll = Kaiso. Same rules apply.

And for some reason I'm throwing titties on e grill a lot.

And for some reason I'm throwing titties on e grill a lot.

Don't throw them ... Place them. Boobs need tender love.

Theory: vultures .... That's great! I call em seagulls. I've insisted a few times that if they want to eat they must yell kaaaah! Kaaaah! And flap their wings. Only a handful of FOH do it. It makes me so happy :)

"spin this" spin that" spin: to make, or to make happen. Spin the soup please, and can you spin a dessert special for tomorrows 12 top?

Back