Kitchen Slang

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand that completely, I don't like being in the $4**s, know what you mean, I guess I just mean being super busy and all over the place

Last edited by a moderator:
-At school one of the kids in my class where we do a lunch service quit coming so every time we had to do an unwanted task we'd just say "I'll have Thomas do it" or when told we had to do something "I think Thomas said he was gonna do it"
-Chicken titties-chicken breasts
-Creped- like raped "we got creped today"
-bang out- i always say this when im gonna take care of something. "i'll go bang out the peppers"
-Pudding pop- after the whole bill cosby thing came out we started calling hot dogs "pudding pops"

A busy restaurant is a busy restaurant. I love working in one and I think most people feel the same way.

You really have to go deep into the weeds to fully understand the phrase... IMO. Being in the weeds, to me at least, means you are going down like a flaming pile of $@$^ (and generally the rest of the kitchen is as well). It's one of those shifts where you start off the day in a complete panic with an unreasonable and ungodly amount of prep, with no help, and are about to get completely destroyed during service. It's where everything is going wrong. Where you're looking at the clock 30 minutes after the start of service and praying to God that it will end soon. And knowing you still have all night to go. Where your flight or fight instinct is kicking in and you're seriously looking at the door and thinking, "is this really worth it??" And I've never walked out on a shift or job... ever... but if the thought hasn't even crossed your mind once, I don't know if you've been in the weeds.

Going by that definition, I have not met a cook who considered that to be fun or a place where they thrive. This is not Friday night game time. This is where your soul is being crushed.

To me that's not being in the weeds.. That's when you've sunk without a paddle

some people have different definitions of "in the weeds"

A busy restaurant is a busy restaurant. I love working in one and I think most people feel the same way.

You really have to go deep into the weeds to fully understand the phrase... IMO. Being in the weeds, to me at least, means you are going down like a flaming pile of $@$^ (and generally the rest of the kitchen is as well). It's one of those shifts where you start off the day in a complete panic with an unreasonable and ungodly amount of prep, with no help, and are about to get completely destroyed during service. It's where everything is going wrong. Where you're looking at the clock 30 minutes after the start of service and praying to God that it will end soon. And knowing you still have all night to go. Where your flight or fight instinct is kicking in and you're seriously looking at the door and thinking, "is this really worth it??" And I've never walked out on a shift or job... ever... but if the thought hasn't even crossed your mind once, I don't know if you've been in the weeds.

Going by that definition, I have not met a cook who considered that to be fun or a place where they thrive. This is not Friday night game time. This is where your soul is being crushed.

I guess I miss that kind of thing because there's a point at which you reach into yourself and say NO we will not gown like this.

DAMN THE TORPEDOS !!! FULL SPEED AHEAD !!!!

lube= butter or olive oil
neutered= no nuts
spayed= no eggs
reggae= regular, as in no mods...all day fire you have two reggae, one split, one spayed
hippie= vegan, fire two chopped, one hippie, one reggae
ball sauce= meatball, arancini, profiterole, any ball shaped food stuff's sauce
and then (in an Asian accent through a drive thru speaker, from Dude, where's my car?) = followed by
sugue= order only
googan= from surfcasting lingo, new guy
sneaky= on the fly, before anything else you're working, fire a sneaky lobster
wax that= to trim something to make it more presentable, from bikini waxing

last night was full of kitchen slang, Christmas eve service is the best :justkidding:, I LIVE FOR THAT $*\T

Sorry if these are repeats, haven't looked through this thread in awhile:

- Hardons = Lardons
- Chef Mike = Microwave (we only use this to therm quarts of soup)
- Heard = Yes Chef (not sure how prevelant this is outside of the Midwest. Former coworker of mine staged at WD50 and they looked at him like he was missing a screw)
- "Sure, sure…" = this is a reference to Tom Hanks in the movie Captain Phillips, when he is being overtaken by Somalian Pirates. One of our line cooks started saying that to our GM when he was making impossible requests and it stuck with all of us.
- "And there is no job…" = also a reference created by the same line cook. It's in reference to an adult website called Back Room Casting Couch. Whenever we a promised a night or shift off, then expected to stay for said shift to cook for a poorly planned party, we look at one another and make this quote.
- If you are "the a s s hole" it's because you messed something up or showed up late.
- "Twigs and berries" = Michelin food = Same cook that staged at WD50 spent nine months at Maaemo in Norway, no disrespect, just not what we do.

Back