Kitchen Slang

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1390608953.657775.jpgImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1390608971.292812.jpg

I didn't realize the pen was illegible on here. The English says: She's a hooker. A Looker? Not really. But I took her! In four different pen/handwritings. The Spanish has the lo of mantengalo crossed out and el culo written in its place. The signs have been up for less than twelve hours at this point.

Salamander : celi
Microwave : mickey
Blow torch : flame thrower

Eat a bag of dicks = go f your self

Bobo'd= f'd

Embrace the **** = calm down

Programate= get with the fing program

Fire 9 (as in table 9) in exhibition kitchens was our code for all stations to look up at the fine
female walking by. By far the quickest response time to any command I ever gave!

At one place I worked it was order fire jambalaya, table x. Probably still is. The next part of the ritual was to judge the taste of the expo and his or her fitness to continue to call jambalaya. We are all so tasteless.

anyone ever like being in the weeds? I live for that

Yeah I've had fire also. Except it was more like fire on tables 16, 20, 13, 2 & 3.... There was 5 mins on each fire also lol (5 mins till food was completely plated)

Originates from the French revolutionising the way kitchens work... The whole brigade system / army like structure.
Think of it like... Yes Drill sergeant!
We don't all say it. A lot of people would think its weird. But in every high end place I've worked they say it. And when one of the best chefs in your state shouts out an order at you you have all of 0.1 seconds to shout oui or your ass is his.
It's just the way it is. But in more relaxed restaurants everyone says yes.

Here it's "HAI!" Everybody says it. And if you don't, you'll get the stinkeye.
Pretty much like the Japanese version of Fuggedaboutit.

I recommend watching Louis CK's rendition of diner slang.

"Two lumpy t*ts riding sidecar"

Reading this thread makes me seriously miss being in the middle of a Sat. nite gang rape- printer spooling onto the floor, wild eyed expo trying to answer 6 different people at a time, newbies crouching in the corner mumbling "there's no place like home, there's no place like home".

Sighhh....

Reading this thread makes me seriously miss being in the middle of a Sat. nite gang rape- printer spooling onto the floor, wild eyed expo trying to answer 6 different people at a time, newbies crouching in the corner mumbling "there's no place like home, there's no place like home".

Sighhh....

no place like being in the weeds, IMHO, I love being in the weeds honestly, that's when I work the best

I hate the weeds. I'd rather be one step ahead of a busy service than one step behind.

My girlfriend did hear a fellow cook that was deep in the shits say "please God, make me a bird so I can fly far, far away". That same kitchen would sing when they started to go down, every station had their own "weeded song"

Dardeau, sometimes you can't help it, I know what you mean, but I mean a busy as hell Saturday in the middle of the summer ( I live by the shore), where tickets just keep coming and coming, and its inevitable

It's definitely a love/hate relationship, but with no sarcasm at all I really do miss it.

It's definitely a love/hate relationship, but with no sarcasm at all I really do miss it.

the amount of aggression and angst, when you are grooving on the line is like no other, then afterwords like oh Hey, I just called you a pos 2 minutes ago, now we are best friends LOL

The most important thing in Salty's post is planning. If you have smart and capable hosts and reservationists seating a reasonable number of people in a reasonable amount of time you can do serious numbers both covers and revenue without getting in the ****s, and giving your guests a meal where the waitstaff isn't harried, their food doesn't sit in the window, and the cooks can put effort into making the food good instead of just making the food.

Last edited by a moderator:
that is kind of what I mean I guess, being in the weeds, but being able to work through it, and get through it, know what I mean?

The most important thing in Salty's post is planning. If you have smart and capable hosts and reservationists seating a reasonable number of people in a reasonable amount of time you can do serious numbers both covers and revenue without getting in the shits, and giving your guests a meal where the waitstaff isn't harried, their food doesn't sit in the window, and the cooks can put effort into making the food good instead of just making the food.

I guess I've only worked in a couple of places with that magic combo.
The worst was one where they would seat the entire dr at once then get all the orders and one server would stand there putting them all in the comp. Absolutely impossible.

I guess I've only worked in a couple of places with that magic combo.
The worst was one where they would seat the entire dr at once then get all the orders and one server would stand there putting them all in the comp. Absolutely impossible.

nothing worse than sandbagging, or sitting the whole restaurant at once, stupid hostessess

It helps when the chef owns the place and is a control freak.

Yeah, in the place I referred to the owners were clueless. It didn't last long.

It helps when the chef owns the place and is a control freak.

I won't work anywhere where the chef doesn't have a piece of the action. I'm spoiled at this point, I couldn't do that uncivilized crap again. We have go-downs and chaos but everyone is supported by the way the place works, not buried by it.

Dardeau, sometimes you can't help it, I know what you mean, but I mean a busy as hell Saturday in the middle of the summer ( I live by the shore), where tickets just keep coming and coming, and its inevitable

A busy restaurant is a busy restaurant. I love working in one and I think most people feel the same way.

You really have to go deep into the weeds to fully understand the phrase... IMO. Being in the weeds, to me at least, means you are going down like a flaming pile of $@$^ (and generally the rest of the kitchen is as well). It's one of those shifts where you start off the day in a complete panic with an unreasonable and ungodly amount of prep, with no help, and are about to get completely destroyed during service. It's where everything is going wrong. Where you're looking at the clock 30 minutes after the start of service and praying to God that it will end soon. And knowing you still have all night to go. Where your flight or fight instinct is kicking in and you're seriously looking at the door and thinking, "is this really worth it??" And I've never walked out on a shift or job... ever... but if the thought hasn't even crossed your mind once, I don't know if you've been in the weeds.

Going by that definition, I have not met a cook who considered that to be fun or a place where they thrive. This is not Friday night game time. This is where your soul is being crushed.

Back