KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

We should start calling wide bevels a V grind

I appreciate that this thread is mostly jokes and sarcasm, But I've got an anti-flat crusade to keep up... While this would work for low bevels like Takeda, it'd just reinforce the idea that flat is desirable leading further people away from the glories of hamguri

Still waiting on the W grind. Two cuts for the price of one!

Hardened aebl cladding, carbon core, 1 week sulfuric etch. Two blades for the price of one. A lot to handle.

Also breville is launching the control freak home. On one hand, it’s half the price and what looks like a smaller foot print with the same internals which make the control freak incredible to use. On the other hand, you lose the water resistance rating which has me concerned given how frequently water drips on the unit between steam or boiling.

I appreciate that this thread is mostly jokes and sarcasm, But I've got an anti-flat crusade to keep up... While this would work for low bevels like Takeda, it'd just reinforce the idea that flat is desirable leading further people away from the glories of hamguri

Ok, fine. Call it a UV grind. Just wear sunscreen when cutting.

Hardened aebl cladding, carbon core.....
SusMonkeyMeme.jpg

5893 #realkniveshavecurves

Hamaguri chowdah, wicked good

1711558454310.jpeg

Had a knife essentially complete for over a year. It went from “how’s this idea sound?” To pics on instagram of the forged and handled knife in under 2 months, even though it was a big project. It’s been waiting for final touches/polishing to BEGIN for over a year now with plans to begin “soon” at every update since :upsidedownspin:

Commissioned 4 projects around the same time. The person who started from iron sands still managed to ship first. Everyone else is slacking.

What do I do with a 6.5lbs sirloin tip roast by tomorrow?

I’ve seen recipes to SV for 4 hours, 24 hours and 36 hours.

I’ve also seen to just cook it as a pot roast and treat it like a chuck roast.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I need it ready in about 30 hours lol

The very first thing I would do is immediately remove it from the package, sprinkle it all over with salt, place it on a rack and put it in the fridge. 30hrs is a good amount of time to allow some absorption.

Then I'd probably just cook it like I would any other beef roast - Sear the outside on the stove top (or hot oven if too big) and then drop down around 300F until done. Probably take around 1.5hrs I'd think, give or take.

Alternatively, I'd grill/smoke it. Could go a couple ways here but easiest it would be to sorta mimic an oven and come up to 300-325. Probably 2-3hrs here I'd guess depending on heat control

Be sure to pull it from the fridge around an hour before whatever method you choose.

Last edited:

The very first thing I would do is immediately remove it from the package, sprinkle it all over with salt, place it on a rack and put it in the fridge. 30hrs is a good amount of time to allow some absorption.

Then I'd probably just cook it like I would any other beef roast - Sear the outside on the stove top (or hot oven if too big) and then drop down around 300F until done. Probably take around 1.5hrs I'd think, give or take.

Alternatively, I'd grill/smoke it. Could go a couple ways here but easy it would be to sorta mimic an oven and come up to 300-325. Probably 2-3hrs here I'd guess.

Be sure to pull it from the fridge around an hour before whatever method you choose.

This is what I figured would be fastest.

Do you think braising it like a pot roast makes any sense? I know the fat content is significantly lower so I’m not sure.

Usually in a Dutch oven I just do veggies / tomato paste / deglaze with wine & broth then add the meat and leave it at 275 for like 4 hours for a 4lb chuck roast

This is what I figured would be fastest.

Do you think braising it like a pot roast makes any sense? I know the fat content is significantly lower so I’m not sure.

Usually in a Dutch oven I just do veggies / tomato paste / deglaze with wine & broth then add the meat and leave it at 275 for like 4 hours for a 4lb chuck roast

I personally wouldn't. Just like you said, it's a pretty lean piece.

I think more "giant steak" with something like that.

Sous vide for 24 hours will get you a very tender roast beef, good for sandwiches. Easy is throw a packet of onion soup mix in the bag, vac and cook at 134F for 24.

Sous vide for 24 hours will get you a very tender roast beef, good for sandwiches. Easy is throw a packet of onion soup mix in the bag, vac and cook at 134F for 24.

Yeah was trying to avoid roast beef but it seems that this is what the cut is for.
No one in my family eats sandwiches like that, especially not 6.5lbs worth 😅

This cut was a gift from an employee whose family owns a local butcher shop. Couldn’t say no to free meat.

Back