Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mean, it's Switzerland... What do you expect?

I lived there for a while, everything is ridiculously expensive. Groceries, Gas, Transit (although everything is very efficient), it's not at all affordable. Swiss people are used to paying obscene amounts for things so it makes sense that they'd list at such high prices
Actually a trip across the border to Lugano was a regular thing for me. Gas was ~30% cheaper there compared to Italy.

I mean, it's Switzerland... What do you expect?

I lived there for a while, everything is ridiculously expensive. Groceries, Gas, Transit (although everything is very efficient), it's not at all affordable. Swiss people are used to paying obscene amounts for things so it makes sense that they'd list at such high prices
....and speeding tickets, please do not forget the speeding tickets.

Yeah that's actually a stupidly good deal for his Blue #2 Hon-San Mai. If I was a fan of Mazaki's work then I'd definitely pick one up for the price (currently 15% off with the ECLIPSE15 code, up to 20% with the "spin to win" thing they have on the website).

K&S was asking $590 for their Blue #2 Hon-San Mai with an upgraded K&S handle (unsure of how good said handles are) and Burrfection was also asking around that price point (IIRC about mid $500 or so).

currently 15% off with the ECLIPSE15 code
😲 Wow that’s a steal then.

Proper nice specs, good profile, and that Wenge handle looks great.

I’d grab (another) one if taxes from Canada weren’t completely insane!

Has anyone else checked out Ivan’s vid on sharpening/cleaning up a Mazaki? I wonder if that one was an outlier or if they often need a lot of work. Haven’t used one myself in a few years.

Has anyone else checked out Ivan’s vid on sharpening/cleaning up a Mazaki? I wonder if that one was an outlier or if they often need a lot of work. Haven’t used one myself in a few years.
Oh god, I have two Mazaki’s earmarked for some work. Do I want to watch this??

Oh god, I have two Mazaki’s earmarked for some work. Do I want to watch this??
There were a few bends he fixed, shinogi inconsistent which he also raised, profile ootb needed work as parts of it didn’t touch cutting board, etc.
None of this really deters me from potentially picking one up I’m just curious if these are common issues.
Also he used NSK 200 for some of the work and that stone looks super badass.

Also important to remember Ivan has an insanely keen and picky eye. He's going to see stuff a lot of people wouldn't pick up on. Slight bends, modest reprofiling, and some shinogi work is something Id expect to see on pretty much any knife tbh. I don't think him calling out these things while prepping a knife to his standards is evidence of sub-par work.

Also important to remember Ivan has an insanely keen and picky eye. He's going to see stuff a lot of people wouldn't pick up on. Slight bends, modest reprofiling, and some shinogi work is something Id expect to see on pretty much any knife tbh. I don't think him calling out these things while prepping a knife to his standards is evidence of sub-par work.
Yeah I just watched it and if anything was reassured that the stuff he picked up on was pretty minor and easily fixed for a very affordable knife.

It probably is time to pick up a knife straightening stick though…

I can agree somewhat. It’s all relative really. Curious if Ivan would find the same things to work on if he picked up 10 different Mazakis or not. I’d notice if roughly 2 inches of the blade weren’t in contact with the board immediately though.

Back