Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe it has something to do with the whole "exclusive online access ... for all subscribers". Their system could potentially recognize you aren't a subscriber. I tried a transaction for research purposes and got the same message.

View attachment 314416

https://protooling.com.au/products/...to-knife-vg-10-limited?variant=44345727090941

Only $425 USD for this Kikuchiyo Yohei with the discount. Probably the lowest price you'll see for a 240 Takada gyuto these days. Yes, I know -- VG-10 -- but it is Nakagawa, so...

ETA: It is only 221x45mm, which is a good reason it hasn't sold already. But again, Nakagawa & Takada make a pretty good duo.

It’s
https://protooling.com.au/products/...to-knife-vg-10-limited?variant=44345727090941

Only $425 USD for this Kikuchiyo Yohei with the discount. Probably the lowest price you'll see for a 240 Takada gyuto these days. Yes, I know -- VG-10 -- but it is Nakagawa, so...

ETA: It is only 221x45mm, which is a good reason it hasn't sold already. But again, Nakagawa & Takada make a pretty good duo.
210 has been there for 6 weeks and the 240 for 5 or so. Goes to show that the market doesn’t buy anything at any price. (+) Takada and Nakagawa (-) short heel, short length and VG-10 must balance out at less than the full price. Surprised that the sale didn’t flush it out though. I’ve seen them in person - they’re STUNNING!

Goes to show that the market doesn’t buy anything at any price. (+) Takada and Nakagawa (-) short heel, short length and VG-10 must balance out at less than the full price.
It’s got little to do with the specs and steel IMO. “The market” (i.e. us) has consistently shown itself to be rather simple-minded when it comes to brand recognition.

A good example is the Sakai Kikumori Yugiri vs Konosuke FM: same smith and sharpener. One has more desirable specs (based on current trends for height/length/weight), and the other has a nice stamp on it. One will sit on BST for weeks/months, and the other will have buyers clamouring to snatch it up for hundreds of dollars more. You can see the same pattern with Hitohira and Tsubaya’s un-stamped Takada offerings vs the knives sold with the TNH mark on it.

It’s got little to do with the specs and steel IMO. “The market” (i.e. us) has consistently shown itself to be rather simple-minded when it comes to brand recognition.

A good example is the Sakai Kikumori Yugiri vs Konosuke FM: same smith and sharpener. One has more desirable specs (based on current trends for height/length/weight), and the other has a nice stamp on it. One will sit on BST for weeks/months, and the other will have buyers clamouring to snatch it up for hundreds of dollars more. You can see the same pattern with Hitohira and Tsubaya’s un-stamped Takada offerings vs the knives sold with the TNH mark on it.
There may be an element of that too, yes. But the Yugiri is stainless clad, which is less popular and a distinctive characteristic, and they come in a shorter length (225mm) I believe. I think the profile and heel height are also a little different. FMs certainly do have a brand premium, although a couple have sat in BsT for a bit recently (one blue and another white steel are listed and have been for a while). There’s some inconsistency, although pricing and seller-reliability play a role in the secondary market.

Re Takadas, I think that the 240mm Kasumi Yohei that was recently listed sold within seconds because I messaged within 3 minutes and came second in line. One sat in BST for weeks earlier in the year, but probably because it was a 210mm and kasumi - contrast with the suminigashi 210s listed recently, one of which sold in hours and another in a week or so. There is a used Takada no Hamono still sitting in BST after weeks. I think the Suiboku finish also distinguishes the Yohei / kasumi from the branded TNHs, making the latter more desirable.

Just my analysis - could be wrong.

Was it you who listed a Yohei Vg10 earlier this year too? Are you the victim of steel / brand snobbery? Haha!
Pretty sure I’m the only one who has listed one. I like the knife. I use the 210mm version as a SS petty. It is now a dedicated citrus knife.i have been looking at that 240mm since ProTooling got it. If the heel height was at least 48mm, I would have bought it at the full price.

Takada also makes VG10 suiboku now. Looks amazing.

Pretty sure I’m the only one who has listed one. I like the knife. I use the 210mm version as a SS petty. It is now a dedicated citrus knife.i have been looking at that 240mm since ProTooling got it. If the heel height was at least 48mm, I would have bought it at the full price.

Takada also makes VG10 suiboku now. Looks amazing.

He churns out quality only

I would not say the Yugiri has more desirable specs. It’s a k tip and relatively short lengthwise. I don’t think you can translate “desirable” specs like that anyway.

Last edited:
The pictures on ProTooling are no good. This is mine.

IMG_0258.png

I would say it depends on the use case. I have gone through at least 120lbs of oranges and grapefruit. Still plenty sharp. It holds an acceptable edge for so long. The damascus on this knife is stunning in person.
Try a real high end stainless steel, and you will do a thousand pounds lol

Well not like it's a real honyaki anyway, it's zen-ko which is monosteel but not differentially hardened (which they should be labeling it as).

But if you are looking for hardest monosteels, there are a couple others which will be higher, like rex121's, HAP72 I believe which hit 70+. A few others are ran 67+ as well. But not far off, yeah.

Last edited:
Back