Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apart from the price what is the difference between these and JNS Munetoshi?
That must be it…he retired so he can make some real money
I can only speak on ones I cary, Our Munetoshi have Hand chiseled Kanji, It is thinner behind the edge for less wedging, Also I fix all of them for bends as he uses softer clading material they need to be all checked before they are shipped out, and Have same handle as on Shigefusa Toyama Knives, I get our handles from same maker

It is same price as before for Wakui, he have many different lines from cheap to expensive, Our is costume order much larger then other Wakui, all are hand laminated for it is requested, thicker at the spine and have more hight, and also same handle maker as Shig and Toyama

I can only speak on ones I cary, Our Munetoshi have Hand chiseled Kanji, It is thinner behind the edge for less wedging, Also I fix all of them for bends as he uses softer clading material they need to be all checked before they are shipped out, and Have same handle as on Shigefusa Toyama Knives, I get our handles from same maker

It is same price as before for Wakui, he have many different lines from cheap to expensive, Our is costume order much larger then other Wakui, all are hand laminated for it is requested, thicker at the spine and have more hight, and also same handle maker as Shig and Toyama
Do you ever get Munetoshi 270s? I've been hunting for one without success

IMG_2813.jpeg

26C3 is not a very expensive steel. Takes a lovely edge and I absolutely love sharpening it, but with no cladding, I’m on the fence 🤷‍♂️

Just don’t see that comparison out of mono steel construction only

excusez-moi, I was mixing up the core steel of the San mai with the mono Apex.

Edit: would still go for the wrought and 26C3 - but don’t know the smith either
Totally reasonable. But you have to understand that all Swedish knife makers are good because it’s very cold there in the winter. They develop their skills quickly because there’s nothing else to do but be cold all the time.

That 215mm does look nice and checks in at a svelte 138g!

Kind of a side track, but I'm surprised that you don't see more recommendations of 26c3 as a starter carbon for makers versus recommendations of 1080/1084 or 5160. It's easy and forgiving to heat treat, takes a high hardness, and is such a nice steel to sharpen. All that and it's dirt cheap. Here are a couple in progress 26c3 monosteel blades (the handles are for reference, but are pretty long at 6". I'll likely shortened a half inch before mounting to some larger blades):

1000006341.jpg

If California would stop dumping rain, then I can get back to forging a piece vs. these stock removal blades. Or, I should say turn my novice arm into jello while being shocked at how little my out of shape ass moves the steel. Gives a whole other level of appreciation for what some of these makers do, especially those without the luxury of a power hammer.

Last edited:
Totally reasonable. But you have to understand that all Swedish knife makers are good because it’s very cold there in the winter. They develop their skills quickly because there’s nothing else to do but be cold all the time.
Sorry, I didn’t take that in to consideration. All the love to my Swedish neighbours 💙💛

Meanwhile in Switzerland....

Back