Knife Passaround !

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think im on the list twice. Put me at the end so i can be the one to ship it to stefan. :)

Yay! I got in! I'll be looking forward to using it in a year or so!:eyebrow:

Hehe did not see that

EU
Candlejack
RobinW (May 15th)
WillC

US
Iceman91
WildBoar
Crothcipt
Pensacola Tiger
ptolemy
tk59
BurkeCutlery
EdipisReks
SpikeC
Andrew H
obtuse

Knife arrived safe and sound with a hot hamon and a nice nimble handle. Haven't put it to the test yet but i'll review it once it's off to Robin!

Yay, very much looking forward to it...Thanks Maxim. I'll pm my address to RobinW in anticipation:D

Candlejack do you have any updates ?? :D

Robin please post here when you get the knife !
Candlejack where is review :D

Robin please post here when you get the knife !
Candlejack where is review :D

Yes i argee where is review?? And like Flashback we dont use spyderco sharpening sticks :) I will soon post my own review of the knife without pass around :)

The ****, i posted one the day after i shipped it out.. will just have to rewrite it then

Well, we'll let Robin be the judge of the edge left by the spyderco.

The ****, i posted one the day after i shipped it out.. will just have to rewrite it then

Well, we'll let Robin be the judge of the edge left by the spyderco.

i don´t doubt the quality of the edge, i just know how long time it takes to sharpen with the V-sticks.

i don´t doubt the quality of the edge, i just know how long time it takes to sharpen with the V-sticks.

Actually, it doesn't take that long at all.. it's just a very annoying motion to do it. Especially with angles that aren't "supported"
But it's good to have it for portability and the price. I'm not in a situation where i can afford to buy a stone-setup right now

Actually, it doesn't take that long at all.. it's just a very annoying motion to do it. Especially with angles that aren't "supported"
But it's good to have it for portability and the price. I'm not in a situation where i can afford to buy a stone-setup right now

i understand :D anything that keeps the knife sharp is better than the dull knives a lot of chefs are using, you can come long way with 1-2 "cheap" stones. and makes the progess a lot faster, let me know if you want to try one out, i can send it to Svealand and you can try it out.

Yeahh maybe even 1k/6k king combo is better, if you are on really low budget.

Knife has arrived safely and is in use.

As to the edge, sorry to disappoint Candlejack, but it is not as good as with stones, good but not excellent. A couple of friends were here yesterday and they were impressed (both with knife and edge), but i know there is definitively potential to get it sharper.
Will will have to do his thing as my stones are still on the ocean.

Sorry for the delay, internet connection is scarce at the moment.

Ah, i'll have to get some stones then (you're going to cost me Robin)

Here are some quite bad pics to start you off with.

http://imgur.com/a/YqUmY

I am to lazy to paste them in, in the middle of the text to make it more exciting. So you'll have to live with it.

The nice came very securely packed, and i could probably have used the package to club an intruder down before having to resort to opening it and using the actual blade itself. I bet the package is as dangerous.

First reaction was the kasumi-finish, i am a fan of brushed steel, so this just felt right. The D-handle was comfortable and the knife was nimble.
It's decided that the Marko i'll get (when i get the money for it) will be with a D-handle now.

It's a light and nimble (once again) knife, that is really good at slicing meat. That was my favorite part with this knife.
It was good at chopping onions too, a joy to do it with this knife. (It's not precisely where my favorite (but now sold) onion-knife (kagayaki AS santoku. But it was too reactive for my taste.) is, but it's close enough to be counted as really good.

Fit & finish:

The blade itself had a nice kasumi finish, there is one place on the Maki line where it's not perfect. (it's in the pics.) but that should be no problem. It's a handmade knife so it's not going to be perfect, it's part of the soul.
Perhaps Maxim chose this knife for the pass-around for just that reason too. The handle is a standard magnolia or ho-wood handle. (i really can't see the difference between magnolia and ho)
It's nothing that needs to be mentioned there, no problems at all. Nice D/drop-shape that i liked.

Sharpening: It's not as nice to sharpen as carbon, in my opinion. But it's one of the better stainless-steels to sharpen in my opinion.
It came with a bit too thin edge, it couldn't handle the stones of the stonefruits i cut and chipped out.
So i put a 40 degree, total, bevel on it. And it handles stones much better after that.

So all in all, it's a nice, light, nimble knife with a nice kasumi finish. (as i'm a sucker for the brushed look)
Would i pay close to 500 euro for it? Probably not, i don't have the economy for it and haven't sunken that far into the knife-swamp yet. And i'm a bit of a carbon-guy (I'm still on the "cheap fixes" haven't transferred to the heavier stuff yet, you junkies)

Put a custom handle on it, and you have a great stainless blade with a great looking handle on it. That should satisfy you.

I'll try to rewrite this a bit better, i'm not that good with writing long texts

// Daniel

(and i'll add here as a safety that the 40 degree angle was a joke, and that i never cut any stone-fruits or anything hard for that matter. I just touched the edge up before sending it on, it didn't need much work. It held the edge very good for me.

I've already played a mean joke on Maxim saying that the knife had cracked in the middle during shipping)

Thank you very much for Review !! It is actually very nice to have sharpening prospective from a V-stick user, not all of us use stones :)
BTW note. that knife do not cost 500 euro, Damascus cost that

Thank you very much for Review !! It is actually very nice to have sharpening prospective from a V-stick user, not all of us use stones :)
BTW note. that knife do not cost 500 euro, Damascus cost that

Oh, my mistake then. I went from memory on that, was so sure about it.

Sorry!

So it is my turn… tomorrow the knife ships out to Will.

Stats: As Daniel didn’t post any stats, here are the ones I could get (I do not have access to a caliper so take the thickness measurements with a large grain of salt (I used an old ruler);
Weight: 139 grams
Edge length: 270mm
Total length: 323mm
Blade height at heel: 38mm
Blade height mid: 30mm
Blade height 10 mm behind tip: 9mm
Tip height above board: 10mm
Balance point: 43mm in front of the heel
Thickness (spine) at heel: 2.5mm
Thickness mid edge: 2.0mm
Thickness 10mm behind tip: 1mm

F&F: Handle is good, obviously not like Mario/Pierre or other custom makers, but has a nice fit and good grip. Fully acceptable but not fancy. Horn ferrule. I would not feel a need to change it. Slimish in size.
Blade is nicely finished to what looks like a 400 grit handrub. One can (if looking carefully) see perpendicular scratch marks on the 5mm closest to the edge. Lamination line is nice and has a little “life” to it. Both sides are pretty symmetrical. Very thin cladding in the tip area. Spine is nicely rounded and the choil is ground into a smallish V-shape. The one obvious flaw I could see in terms of F&F is that it seems the top of the choil area was made a bit too small thus a small part is left unground with a black “kuro-uchi” style finish just where it enters the handle. This area is rather uneven but so small it really would not pose a problem (at least it wouldn't for me), it is hard to get a finger in there to feel it at all.
Grind (crossection) is very good. Thin behind the edge and nice bevels. The edge curve is suitably flat for my liking and has a nice subtle curve.
Kanji looks very nice and hand hammered.

Steel: The steel behaves pretty much like my Yoshikane SKD11 Hammered gyuto (not a big surprise maybe) in that it takes a shadow of a patina.
The edge seems to hold up well, although I must admit that I really have not had the possibility to put it to heavy use, thus I’m not really in a position to make any statements. I do know however, that my SKD Yoshikane is not particularly pleasurable to sharpen, there is something “deadish” in the feel on my stones (Shapton pro that admittedly are created for carbon steels). As I presently do not have access to my stones I have no way of comparing.

Use: In use the suji is wonderfully nimble and it just feels “natural” to use. It simply feels like an old comfy pair of jeans the instance you pick it up. I have another 270 suji so I may have a head start though. It cuts very well and as expected from a suji, sticktion is not an issue.

Bottom line: A very nice knife, nimble and comfy. F&F (with the exception of the choil flaw) is very good and the blade grind is really good. If the steel is as good as the rest this should prove a very nice buy!

Thanks for passing it around Maxim.

:needpics

Seriously. San Mai, semi-stainless and no pics? You people should be banned...

Now it up to Will if he want to be banned or not :wink:

:needpics

Seriously. San Mai, semi-stainless and no pics? You people should be banned...

Honestly i agree, but i did not think crappy blackberry pics would make anyone happy (all my stuff is still locked up in customs). Thus i'd rather let Will take some proper photos that did the knife justice.

This is with me now:doublethumbsup:,My back decided to go into spasm lat night and tody i'm serverely does on painkillers, `I'm dying to take it to the hones and get a feel for it. I feel a video coming i=on. First impressions through blurry eyes, it is sleek, nimble and the geometry kooks most promising.
Remind me...this is an equilivent of D2? stainless or carbon clad? With a nickel layer.

Back