Knife Passaround !

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will ship out the stone tomorrow to the next in line:)

Few of my comments... I am a big newb with high end knives so I was kinda scared to use it. I only used it on veggies and it performed glorious. When slicing onions, there was no actual effort from bringing blade down to cutting.

I was able to use the edge to cut length wise and then gently slide down from top for dice.

I think it's too big for me, I would have much rather have 210mm even 180mm because then I could control the blade better. My board is only 12", so that may have something to do with it.

Thanks Maksim for making this happen!

The knife is in the mail to Eamon. I don't have a whole lot to add so I'll make this brief. I also got limited use out of it just because my work is kicking my a$$. Anyway, it's pretty and quite stainless. The geometry is on the thick side which is fine for most tasks. In fact, it was a pleasure to use for the most part. The only time cutting with it didn't make me very happy was on the hard stuff where wedging was significant but not awful. As a pure slicer, I thought it could stand to have a little more curve and I thought the profile was on the narrow side. While a little more height would increase drag, it would give the knife a lot more life and that might be important to a pro. For myself, I would probably buy this knife if I were looking for a nice 270 suji in this price range. I did not sharpen it out of respect for the great condition it is in and the little use I got out of it but the steel is quite tough and pretty wear resistant based on the effort required to touch up the edge. Thank you for providing this knife for a passaround, Maxim. :thumbsup:

Thanks tk :)
I am quite surprised that some of you think that knife is on thick side. I will probably not accept thinner knife then that.

I didn't think it was all that thick really. It was mostly the tip that had a bit more resistance than my other sujis. Because it's narrow, it necessarily thickens up pretty quick as you go to the spine. Like everything, it's a trade-off. You can get taller sujis with the same spine thickness that don't wedge as much or you can thin it down but then you get flexibility.

the knife arrived today, and here it is next to my Konosuke suji, which i'll be comparing it to. it looks really nice! btw, who does this go to next?

dsc2542n.jpg

after using it pretty extensively, tonight, i'd say that it's really nice, except it doesn't hold an edge very long.

after using this knife quite a bit, i think it's quite nice. great F&F, very good geometry and profile, feels very nimble in the hand, and takes a nice toothy edge. it does lose that edge pretty quickly, though, with board contact, which i wasn't expecting, given my general experience with D2. however, the edge comes back easier than my general experience with D2, so it's probably a good trade off. i really like the handle on this knife, there is something about it that makes it very comfortable.

I received the knife today, and so far I like it!

Andrew has decided to pass on this, so is Mainaman next?

I liked the way this knife felt in hand right off, slender and maneuverable. Over time, though, the smallness of the handle proved to be less than suitable for my hand size. I like a blade that has a good flat area in the back half of the blade, and another flatish area toward the tip. This blade profile has more curve in the front which led to some accordianing of green onions when push cutting with the front of the blade, it was necessary to use the back half to get clean cuts.
When received the edge was nicely sharp and cut well, but the edge retention was not impressive in use on a Boardsmith cutting board. I prepared some soups and carnitas, nothing excessive for a family of 2 in one week, not only did the edge loose it's aggressive feel, but the front third of the blade developed several chips. After sharpening out the chips the back half of the blade felt less sharp, as I only sharpened where the damage was.
This is a very attractive knife, but it did not work very well for my cutting style, and I suspect that I would grind it into oblivion if I kept using it long term.
Thanks Maxim for the opportunity to experience this knife!

Thanks Spike !! Yes pass it along to Mainaman then we are finished with this one :D

Back