Knife Passaround !

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is this SS blade similar to the carbon knifes like Masamoto ks or another white\blue steels ?

and what you think about compare this SLD agains Heiji semi-stainless ?

thx

No its not similar, it is semi SS powder steel.
I cant comment on Heiji i dont have one, but also i thing very different.

I think Will will comment much better on steel, he uses blue him self :)

Well I don't want to get in trouble...:laugh: So here are some pics to kick off with.

IMGP2812.jpg

IMGP2814.jpg

IMGP2815.jpg

IMGP2816.jpg

IMGP2818.jpg

IMGP2821.jpg

IMGP2822.jpg

IMGP2823.jpg

IMGP2824.jpg

IMGP2825.jpg

IMGP2826.jpg

Convexity towards heel
IMGP2827.jpg

Midway
IMGP2828.jpg

Towards the tip
IMGP2829.jpg

I hope you don't mind maxim but I started with a brass rod test. The edge is very thin with little pressure needed to ripple the edge.The edge returns nicely with no micro chipping. I carefully applied a little more pressure on one spot and it showed a tiny amount of distortion, (this straightened out on the hones). So I would estimate the steel is not more than 60hrc, its not going to have any problems with chipping or distortion under normal use.

I have given it a full honing session, the steel gets screaming sharp! I reset the bevel to around 10 degrees per side, with no more than two or three strokes on my chosera 400, then took it to sigma 13k followed by chromium oxide.It was a joy to shapen with no frustrating bits to chase in at the tip or heel.
Its an aggressive edge presumably from a some what courser grain. Slightly more so than blue paper steel. Its not the hardest steel as I found with my edge flex test but this is likely an optimal level of HT for the steel, whilst Blue paper likes to be 62 plus, 01 gives great edge at 60/61. So maybe D2 works a bit softer, It certainly sharpens and feels like a nice carbon steel would, which can't be bad for a semi stainless steel. I will report back on edge holding. It will be interesting how this edge wears now and if it suffers any distortion or folding, necessitating another honing session. It reacts well to the strop. Would be nice to try a diamond spray on it, but I don't have any. I suspect a strop will keep this baby good for a long while, unless it got dinked or rolled over on a piece of bone.
Many thanks, looking forward to doing some big meal preps this week, maybe some sushi.:)

The grind is very nice, very even convexity right down to the tip, very thin at the edge, I will spend some time with it now and let you know what I think later in the week and most importantly how it cuts.

Very nice Will !! I am very happy that you got in on passaround and can give your pro opinion ! :)
I am most interested in how steel preforms as i will not cary same knives in my store i will only sell SLD in Damascus and not Kasumi so this one is just for testing :D So dont bother with FF

As it goes, yes, :D

Ok here is my little review. I’ve had the knife just over a week, for that I apologize but I wanted to give it a good workout and the week was too crazy to get much done except use it a couple of times.

I am cooking dinner today for 6, some old friends and their little ones, they are not meat eaters so a mixed wild mushroom pie is on the menu, with spicy roast potato and veg.

So I start my workout with a full honing session. I also hone a carbon Damascus knife along side in comparison. I took both through a progression to sigma 13k then a strop on just plain leather. The D2 I have already established as a tad soft with my rather cruel edge bend test. It sharpens like a dream and the edge in the end is not dissimilar to the harder Damascus, both were tree topping arm hair very nicely.
So it’s a joy to sharpen and gets mega sharp. This has me thinking there is some reasoning behind having this steel a tad on the soft side.

So Onions and garlic to start. And I’ll talk about the grind. The quality and finish of the knife and evenness of the grind are very good. Polished spine, corners knocked off the choil. It has what looks like a 320 grit hand finish across the blade on closer inspection I can see it’s a machine finish, but a very good one none the less. The geometry is convex pretty much from spine to edge, towards the edge the fine scratch marks run toward the edge, almost as if the secondary bevel or “thinning” was done on a stone at the last step. It is very thin behind the edge…custom thin.

20120610_093209.jpg

The tip is so slender it works very well for dicing onion. A little wedge at the heel on the push cut.
On the slice a roll of the wrist makes the slices fall off the blade….nice.

20120610_093154.jpg

I have some baby leeks for my pie, can be a tough veg I’m sure you’ll agree, slicing works perfectly and with great control, a little wedge on the push cut at the heel.

20120610_095409.jpg

Potato, I’ve already established this is a slicing machine, being such a slender blade I’m not comfortable speed chopping against my fingers like with a Gyuto or tall Suji. So of course it slices them perfectly, but at the heel I have to say that extra bit of convexity causing a little wedge in some tougher stuff, is potato parting magic. I wanted fine slices to lay on the bottom of my pie with some egg, and barely one tiny slice lifted with the blade…again nice.

20120610_102010.jpg

There was more, Carrot, I used the lovely slender tip to cut the carrots lengthways.
And of course it made easy work of my basket of mushrooms, so many in fact there wasn’t muchroom left on the board, a ha, ha hahh.

20120610_095840.jpg

20120610_095850.jpg

20120610_100429.jpg

Oh and I abused it further with some frozen butter.:D

20120610_095600.jpg

And after all that chopping. …Well, I can’t find my loupe, but can see a few micro rolls towards the mid tip which got the most use. It will no longer shave for the front third of the blade, but the heel still pops hairs. After a quick dozen on a loaded strop, it has straightened right out again and pops hairs right to the tip once more.

In conclusion, a very fine knife, excellent finish, superb grind and clearly some thinking has gone into getting the best of the steel to make it feel and act almost exactly like a carbon steel, though soft, for my tastes now, I really enjoyed how sharp it got and how easy to sharpen. So I would say keep your fine angle on it, and use it on veg and boneless meat, give it a good strop after each use, job done.

I forgot to get a pic of the pie in all its glory, but this was all that was left:D

20120610_163535.jpg

I’ll get this baby wrapped and off stateside on Monday folks. Where’s it going again?

Very cool Will ! :doublethumbsup: Thank you for update !

My pleasure, I've had fun with the knife, thanks for the chance.
I will repack this in a postal tube to go to the states as I've found them the toughest solution and easy to open/reseal as it goes around:wink:
Can you pm me the address for the next on the list please.

Hey guys, received this from will 2 days ago. Will post my opinions in a few more days.

Mike

Who is this going to next? I think my time is up.

Mike

Hehe did not see that

EU
Candlejack
RobinW (May 15th)
WillC

US
Iceman91
WildBoar
Crothcipt
Pensacola Tiger
ptolemy
tk59
BurkeCutlery
EdipisReks
SpikeC
Andrew H
obtuse

Looks like WildBoar...

Sorry maxim! Sent the knife out on Monday to Wildboar, I will write up a review this afternoon!

I received the knife yesterday. Much heavier and thicker at the spine then I expected -- seems a bit heavier then my 300 mm Pierre suji. Balance is quite a ways down the blade.

We have a lot of prep to do tomorrow night and Sunday morning, so I'll give it a decent homecook workout. And if it's okay, I can give it to Travis for a couple days next week to give it a nice workout in a pro setting.

Passed it to tkerns earlier today for a little workout in a pro setting. Will mail it out Monday.

Will post my thoughts on Sunday, along with some pics alongside my Rodrigue 300 mm suji.

Knife returned to David last night.

Quick review: I used it to fillet salmon, portion skate, shave chives, dice potatoes. Its a strange knife, sort of in-between a sujihiki and a yanagiba. Its fairly thick with a balance point a couple inches up the blade. A very flat profile, nice grind and tall. To me it had quite a bit of knuckle clearance (though other, gorilla handed, people might disagree). I didnt sharpen it so I can't speak for how the steel is.

Man, nice job on the review and pics Will!
This is a great thread I've been curious about Yoshikane for awhile.

Knife is on the way to Crothcipt; should be delivered Thursday.

Out of the box it looked decent enough. The handle was a nice size, and the fit and finish was above-average, but not perfect. I think RobinW and WillC summed things up pretty well in this department.

In a side-by-side with the 300 mm Pierre Rodrigue suji (in O1), the spine thickness at the heel was a bit thicker and the distal taper a bit more gradual then the Rodrigue, which led to the balance point seeming a bit too far forward for my tastes. But it did grow on me, and after using it a few times I found it to be pretty nimble, probably due to the short blade height.

The first few days we had the knife, both my wife and I used it for prep for a couple cookouts. It’s main duty was slicing and dicing onions, tomatoes and other relatively soft items. She quickly returned to her Miyabi, as she did not like the balance point and had issues with onion slices sticking. I found myself having to slice almost everything instead of push-cutting, so I ditched it and used my DT ITK and Fowler gyutos in order to get everything cut up quicker. Unfortunately the fare we served was mostly sausages, white hots and burgers, so there wasn’t much opportunity to carve roasts, etc.

I passed the knife to tkern on Thursday so he could give it a pro workout, and picked it up again on Sunday. Travis’s comments are posted above.

I played with the suji a little more after getting it back on Sunday night. I began to appreciate the nimbleness a bit more, but the knife struggled while slicing tomatoes. In fact, only the section of blade near the heel could cut through the tomato skin without crushing. So I stropped it a bit on some CrO-loaded felt, and the edge improved substantially. It push-cut and sliced paper with ease and was shaving hair, and thinly *sliced* tomatoes and onions. But I could see a few short (<1 mm) sections where the edge was still slightly rolled; I suspect the edge would have benefitted from stropping on something a little firmer, like leather. I would have done this, but the leather on my stropping setup has pulled away from the metal plate and is curled up at the edges, and I figured it would do more harm then good. So Crothcipt, if you are reading this please note you may want to strop some more before using the knife.

I was surprised at just how dull the edge was before stropping. I suspect the edge may roll over a bit more easily then one would hope due to either the thinness directly behind the edge (similarly to the first pass-around knife Del sent to me) or the relatively low hardness (as WillC determined). It’s nice that it comes back so easily on a strop, but I wonder if the edge is too delicate with the current geometry.

As I used the knife following stropping, I appreciated it’s slicing ability. Since slicing motions result in the cuts finishing at the tip -- where the blade is at its thinnest and shortest -- there was no sticking and little resistance. But push-cuttting was not a strong point. It took a bit more effort due to some wedging resistance, and the edge was a little too flat.

I wish I could have done a bit of head-to-head slicing against the Rodrigue with some roasts, etc., but we did not have the chance with the types of food we prepared over the past week or so. The Rodrigue is substantially taller, is thinner along the spine, has less convexity and has a bit more flex. I suspect the Rodrigue would have won out, although that has a lot to do with personal preference.

As a home user, I just don’t see using this suji as a do-all knife. It is nice that the edge comes back so well with stropping, but I think it requires stropping more frequently then my other go-to knives. For veggie prep I prefer my gyutos, and for roasts I would have a hard time picking this over the Rodrigue.

Pros working the line have a different set of criteria, so it may work great for slicing smaller proteins and doing other line tasks. And the stainless is a must for those who work in areas where carbon steel knives are not allowed. But I don’t think it would work well for doing all the prep earlier in the day.

Maxim, thanks for allowing me to play with this knife. I wish I could say it fit in with my likes a bit better then it did. If they thinned the spine a little I would likely be singing it’s praises.

I will post some pics of this knife paired with the Rodrigue in the next day or two.

It arrived safely today. I just opened it, and looks good. Can't wait to do some work with this.:excited::jumping2:

Ok first of all WOW!

I was very unprepared for what I was thinking and what this is.
It is very light for its length. The video and pics don't do this blade justice. The scratch marks on the top part of the blade make the hamon line to pop.

The steel is very superb.. With as fatigued the cutting edge was when I got it I was very surprised that there was no chips. That being said, I have never been so afraid to scuff a blade in my life. I did do a few passes on my 5k (highest I have) but it needs to be dropped down and given a better sharpening.

The feel in hand seems like a extension to the hand/arm. When picking it up you think the handle is heavey, but the center of mass is right were the makers mark starts from the handle, which makes no sense when holding it. It gives a very sleek, agile impression in the mind of how it will react cutting.

I let a few people try it out on some onions, and they wanted to do a rocking motion. With the blade being 80-90% flat this isn't ideal for that hand motion. It is 100% a slicer which you can see in the vid I will post.

It was used on onions, tomato's, potato's, 3cold briskits, green onions, and a few more vegies that I can't remember right off the top of my head.

I want to say :madebooboo: on one side of the tip when going over the stone.
2012-07-29 20-53-17.565.jpg2012-07-29 20-46-59.670.jpg
I took a little to much off on one side.

some more pics
2012-07-29 20-54-29.046.jpg2012-07-29 20-52-07.594.jpg

And some cutting, sorry about the lighting going funky. First time using that camera at that angel. I didn't think it would turn out as well as it did.

[video=youtube;-Gcc1Cdkxm4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gcc1Cdkxm4&feature=youtu.be[/video]
At the end I was attempting to show how flat it really is, but I was to close for this to be really effective.

Sorry for the time I took with this. It was a very busy week for me. It being the busiest week of the year for the restaurant I work at, and getting a second job has been a little new to me. If next person on the list will pm me their address I will have this off tomorrow.

Again Maxim thx for allowing me to try this out, it has been a pleasure. I would recommend this knife and steel to others.

Cool !! Thanks guys that is exactly what i looking for many different opinions :D

I used the Yoshikane for a week, comparing it to a Devein Thomas "mystery carbon" sujihiki. The two knives were pretty much the same in length, profile and grind.

c233555d.jpg

I found that they were very hard to tell apart. Devin's knife was ground just a hair thinner, but that didn't translate into any perceivable difference in how the two knives cut once I had refreshed the edge on the Yoshikane.

On the stones, I found it easy to rise a burr on the SLD steel in the Yoshikane. It is very close to the SKD in the Yoshikane gyuto I have.

A week in a home kitchen isn't long enough to judge edge retention. I'll just note that I didn't feel any need to strop it at any time.

Bottom line, if I didn't already have the Devin Thomas, I'd probably pick this Yoshikane up.

Thanks, Maksim, for sending this one around. It's on its way to the next participant, ptolemy.

Rick

Back