Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
keithsaltydog, are you sure your knife isn't the Tamahagane brand? I find it hard to believe that you purchased a chef knife for that price.
not all Tamahagane steel create equally, there are 4 classes of Tamahagane steel in Japan-1A,2A,1B,2B. Both 1B & 2B Tamahagane aren't that expensive. older Tamahagane steel is very rare and more pure!

I received my new Konosuke Fujiyama blue#2 not long ago, I love the ebony handle, F/F is top-notch. great geometry, very even grind, shinogi line & wide bevel are all flawless done. behind the edge is extreme thin but little fragile; therefore, I put hamaguri edge on it as soon as I received the knife.

No way that stuff is crap compared to mine.Like I said the same knife was 500.00 on another site.I got the longer Santoku type blade.Most of the Tamanagane blades the brother's make are on the smaller side.A-Frames has a couple 210mm wa gyuto for 595.00

They look pretty rough,he explains this in his discription of the blades.I am sure that turns most people off.My blade has a few small imperfections,but it is a superb cutter.I can say with my use of this blade so far that this steel is excellent it is not just a bunch of hype.

Chef you can check it out on A-Frames I have a picture on- show your newest knife thread use drop down arrow page 105 if you like.I have used carbons only at work close to 30 yrs. I know carbons,really like this knife.

Very nice cclin! Did you specifically order it with a lefty grind?
Camera illusion! I had angle my camera slightly to focus on extreme thin very edge. the grind is very close to 50/50, my phone's "Angle Meter" APP can't tell the different between left side & right side. the knife suitable for either right or left handed users.

Just got mine last night. Very much looking forward to seeing how this handles

Konosuke_zps16aa51ba.jpg

Gah this thread makes me want a fujiyama so bad lol must resist :(

Does Konosuke disclose who the actual blacksmith is?

Mine just arrived,such a fine blade,like the weight,not a lazor,little heft,super thin behind the edge.Look forward to cutting with it.

...I received my new Konosuke Fujiyama blue#2 not long ago, I love the ebony handle, F/F is top-notch. great geometry, very even grind, shinogi line & wide bevel are all flawless done. behind the edge is extreme thin but little fragile; therefore, I put hamaguri edge on it as soon as I received the knife.

Just got mine last night. Very much looking forward to seeing how this handles

Konosuke_zps16aa51ba.jpg

I am being picky again! cclin, I don't know if it its camera illusion again but comparing your Fuji to the pictures of marc4pt0 it looks like having a lower bevel. Easy to identify from the distance between shinogi line and kanji. All pictures of 240cm Fujiyama blue #2 have a characteristic wide bevel almost touching the tang. The white #2 Fujis are have a very narrow bevel. Yours seem to be in the middle of both steels. The pics at CKTG show the same wide bevel as marc4pt0's knife. Is that inconsistency normal for japanese knives?

I am being picky again! cclin, I don't know if it its camera illusion again but comparing your Fuji to the pictures of marc4pt0 it looks like having a lower bevel. Easy to identify from the distance between shinogi line and kanji. All pictures of 240cm Fujiyama blue #2 have a characteristic wide bevel almost touching the tang. The white #2 Fujis are have a very narrow bevel. Yours seem to be in the middle of both steels. The pics at CKTG show the same wide bevel as marc4pt0's knife. Is that inconsistency normal for japanese knives?
I forgot to mention mine is Fujiyama blue #2 Bunka with much wider Blade Height about 55mm compare to Fujiyama blue #2 gyuto Blade Height only about 50mm.

I forgot to mention mine is Fujiyama blue #2 Bunka with much wider Blade Height about 55mm compare to Fujiyama blue #2 gyuto Blade Height only about 50mm.

Thanks, that makes sense :thumbsup: actually the clue was in the shadow.

One last question, I suppose the cladding is iron on those Fujiyamas, what about reactivity in daily use?

Out of curiosity, has anyone compared these with the konosuke ginsanko knives? They look very similar and I'd prefer stainless cladding

Out of curiosity, has anyone compared these with the konosuke ginsanko knives? They look very similar and I'd prefer stainless cladding

Ground by the same craftsman, hence the similarity. Forged by a different smith.

I have three and they are my go-to knives for prep, despite having a rack full of Takedas, Katos, Richmonds, etc. Take a super edge, hold it well and are lovely in the hand. Just be sure to keep them wiped as you use them.

It looks like a good group of you got in on a recent batch of these, many of whom have loads of experience. Is it too soon to leave your impressions here of your experience? How DO they perform?

Along the same lines, I'm having trouble finding feedback on my other contender for the knife I'm about to buy. I'd predict that by the depth of experience in the field weighing in on this post that some of you have held/own Dave's treatment of the Hiro AS. I've seen hundreds of drop dead gorgeous photos of them, but can't seem to find an in depth report-back of the non-aesthetic type, though people have said they cut better than before.

In hopes of not derailing the thread or wading into otherwise murky waters, please feel free to leave any feed back for this knife as a first priority and address the latter question however you might be comfortable...or not at all.

Two pretty different looking knives about the same price point...sigh. I'm a home cook btw, so I'm pretty willing to be adaptable in most ways I think.

thanks for everything so far.

It looks like a good group of you got in on a recent batch of these, many of whom have loads of experience. Is it too soon to leave your impressions here of your experience? How DO they perform?

Along the same lines, I'm having trouble finding feedback on my other contender for the knife I'm about to buy. I'd predict that by the depth of experience in the field weighing in on this post that some of you have held/own Dave's treatment of the Hiro AS. I've seen hundreds of drop dead gorgeous photos of them, but can't seem to find an in depth report-back of the non-aesthetic type, though people have said they cut better than before.

In hopes of not derailing the thread or wading into otherwise murky waters, please feel free to leave any feed back for this knife as a first priority and address the latter question however you might be comfortable...or not at all.

Two pretty different looking knives about the same price point...sigh. I'm a home cook btw, so I'm pretty willing to be adaptable in most ways I think.

thanks for everything so far.

[video=youtube;3loKz9cTyto]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3loKz9cTyto&list=UUY7LzKnt-Q59iQz01e10rnw[/video]

thought there'd be more enthusiasm...maybe not for you and you'd like to sell? :)

Back