Line Work Horse Stainless Gyuto/Kiritsuke $70-90 Preferred!?! "Which Knife Should I Buy?"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hopefully the tip gets saved by the rubber mats. Yep Stainless steel table tops take a toll, in back of the house sheet & roasting pans.
I had a petty that was knocked off my board due to a false plate from above. Fortunately the rubber mat saved it. It came out unscathed.

You would get a real lesson in grinds with that knife. I have the non Damascus version and you r not ready for that knife :biggrin:

Haha you’re talking about the Sakai Takayuki right?

Think the 210 Tanaka Lite with shipping is around 160.00 maybe a little less. What's best hard to say if you are sharing it on the front line with others. A couple Do Do's can wreck havoc with a fine blade that does not belong to them. For toughness either the Uraku or Misono would be best.

The Tanaka is a better knife, but the edge cannot hit hard objects like burner grates, skillets, plates, etc.

The Stainless clad Kochi is a JKI knife. 210mm around 260.00. Great blade, handle, knife worth every cent.

Wait which one is the Misono!?! I don’t remember this one! Is that the Gesshin $125 one? And yeah sadly that’s what I’m going to need though is a tougher blade, I’d be Realll pissed when some dumb ass chips it or breaks the tip!

Hopefully the tip gets saved by the rubber mats. Yep Stainless steel table tops take a toll, in back of the house sheet & roasting pans.

I mentioned the Blue Moon right off because it is a workhorse blade. At the handle the spine is 4.5mm thick & that's on a 210mm! Does not thin out much on the spine until hits the tip grind. All that thickness goes into a rather tall grind that gets thinner at the edge. It has a attractive Nashji stainless clad finish, potatoes just fall off this blade no sticking.

You mentioned concern about carbon core rust. The edge will patina quickly because your cutting all kinds of food. Don't fret about every little stain Geeez just cut with the darn knife no worry! Carbon works best when used a lot!! All you have to do is wash & dry completely at end of shift. The exact same knife is 35.00 more at CKTG under a different name, JCK is the best deal at 95.00. If the edge takes a hit easy to put a razor edge back on it. You do not have to baby this knife. Just keep it sharp. Only thing do not care for is the resin bolster expected at this price point, other than that no complaints.

It has chisel carved kanji, nice nashiji pear finish and a quality carbon core what more can you ask for?

Nice thanks for the reassurance on that!

And wait so which knife are you talking about exactly?! The blue moon? Do you have a link?

Ohhh the ******* western Swedish steel ****!? Nah bra no way I’m not getting a Misono!

Haha I know I’m sorry bro beans! But yeah I’m going to have to pass on that. I’ve never liked Misonos, I actually have used one of those before the Swedish steel gyuto and I just didn’t like it hahaha and I just looked at the prices of the Swedish carbon and the “chef” who had it was telling me how it was a $1000 knife that one of his old chefs gave him for free. This was well before I started getting into knives like a year or more before I got into them. I knew he was such a liar he lied about everything!

Holy ****! a 100+ messages what knife should I buy thread? Dude! just buy a knife!

In 3, 2, 1…..... “Thanks for the advice but I changed my mind. I’m saving up for a Kato.”

Nice thanks for the reassurance on that!

And wait so which knife are you talking about exactly?! The blue moon? Do you have a link?

It's OK like to see what you end up with. I cannot post links on my better half's computer. I will give you 3 sites to look up the same knife under different names.

I'm on my second beer- 1) Japanesechefknives - Natures Blue Moon series 210mm 98.00 oval chestnut handle resin bolster the wood handle is not bad has a good feel, but like I said the bolster leaves a little to be desired. Cheap Japan shipping 7.00

2)Chef Knives To Go- Kohetsu Nashiji Blue #2 Gyuto 210mm 140.00. Exact same knife and handle 42.00 more. Rip off.

3)Blueway Japan (E-Bay) Japanese Sakai Ichimonji Kichikuni Blue steel wa gyuto Ichii. Think the price was 138.00 Same knife with a upgraded handle Ichii wood octagon with buffalo horn collar. Blueway site has best pictures by far has close ups of blade spine and choil grind shot. It looks pretty fat at the top of grind, but looks are deceiving this is a good cutter, push, slicing or chopping. Also he offers your name chisel engraved. Again cheap 7.00 Japan shipping. 40.00 more for a upgraded octagon handle is not bad. Both Japanese vendors are good JCK and Blueway Japan.

i give up trying to show de way to da queen, lost cause.

I think we should push him out of the rabbit hole. Then, naturally he will try to do the opposite, buy a knife to spite us, and push to get back in.

It's OK like to see what you end up with. I cannot post links on my better half's computer. I will give you 3 sites to look up the same knife under different names.

I'm on my second beer- 1) Japanesechefknives - Natures Blue Moon series 210mm 98.00 oval chestnut handle resin bolster the wood handle is not bad has a good feel, but like I said the bolster leaves a little to be desired. Cheap Japan shipping 7.00

2)Chef Knives To Go- Kohetsu Nashiji Blue #2 Gyuto 210mm 140.00. Exact same knife and handle 42.00 more. Rip off.

3)Blueway Japan (E-Bay) Japanese Sakai Ichimonji Kichikuni Blue steel wa gyuto Ichii. Think the price was 138.00 Same knife with a upgraded handle Ichii wood octagon with buffalo horn collar. Blueway site has best pictures by far has close ups of blade spine and choil grind shot. It looks pretty fat at the top of grind, but looks are deceiving this is a good cutter, push, slicing or chopping. Also he offers your name chisel engraved. Again cheap 7.00 Japan shipping. 40.00 more for a upgraded octagon handle is not bad. Both Japanese vendors are good JCK and Blueway Japan.
Thanks so much! Haha I think I’ve now chosen the Natures Blue! If you were to pick would you pick the Natures Blue, Gesshin 125 or uraku, or the Tanaka? I think the nature’s blue is calling my name especially being only $100!

Seriously,
If you buy a shun after all of this I’ll be pissed.
Haha already bought the sign it’s on the way thanks for the help;)!

And kamakoto panda, they’re just so beautiful and stamped in China! You can’t beat that!

Back