Line Work Horse Stainless Gyuto/Kiritsuke $70-90 Preferred!?! "Which Knife Should I Buy?"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much! Haha I think I’ve now chosen the Natures Blue! If you were to pick would you pick the Natures Blue, Gesshin 125 or uraku, or the Tanaka? I think the nature’s blue is calling my name especially being only $100!

Take it with a grain of salt:) I think the durability of the Natures Blue Moon is a plus in your case. The Blue #2 core steel gets very sharp with relative ease depending on your sharpening abilities. It is a good looking knife not your typical polished blade. All that is nice, but it performs well to, reason one of my favorite bang for the buck knives along with the Tanaka.

The Tanaka ginsan from James is a nice blade, it is pretty thin behind the edge where it counts, you should exercise diligent knife care to protect the edge. You should do that with any knife for that matter, some are more forgiving than others.

Take it with a grain of salt:) I think the durability of the Natures Blue Moon is a plus in your case. The Blue #2 core steel gets very sharp with relative ease depending on your sharpening abilities. It is a good looking knife not your typical polished blade. All that is nice, but it performs well to, reason one of my favorite bang for the buck knives along with the Tanaka.

The Tanaka ginsan from James is a nice blade, it is pretty thin behind the edge where it counts, you should exercise diligent knife care to protect the edge. You should do that with any knife for that matter, some are more forgiving than others.

Good well then the nature’s blue it is because I definitely would be upset if someone messes up the Tanaka especially it being over $160 when you include shipping and a thinner edge. Thanks for your help for real I really appreciate it!

And you don't need anything more than your Amakusa to maintain it. (Not being a smart ass.) Mine loves soft stainless. Such as 420j at 52-54.
You only use your Amakusa? No finishing stone? When I used it I had to use that cheap king 6000 to get it polish and smooth. It definitely would be sharp to slide through paper but it wasn’t razor where it would just push through it without the final polishing.
Bu it's not damascus! :viking:
Haha I know I know...! Buttt it does have that nashiji finish which is not like an average polished stainless blade. Which is another reason I love it

I'm bout to start a go fund me for this guy...

You only use your Amakusa? No finishing stone? When I used it I had to use that cheap king 6000 to get it polish and smooth. It definitely would be sharp to slide through paper but it wasn’t razor where it would just push through it without the final polishing.

Haha I know I know...! Buttt it does have that nashiji finish which is not like an average polished stainless blade. Which is another reason I love it

I never polish cheap stainless. Not worth the time, to me. Even good stainless like G3 I don't take beyond 2k(ish).

I never polish cheap stainless. Not worth the time, to me. Even good stainless like G3 I don't take beyond 2k(ish).
I do it makes such a huge difference even if it is cheap.

Oh and everyone I bought a knife finally! $250 shun nakiri kaji Damascus, what do you think?!

Hey Craig,

Can we just hijack this thread and talk about wimins, whiskey or cigars?

I like med smokes, 50ish ring size, 5 - 6 inches, esp those from the Dominican Republic. You? Anyone else?

Happy to discuss Jesus's politics as well.:spin chair:

You're the worst.
Hahaha I’m just kidding i didn’t buy that! I just actually put an edge on it for a buddy at work tonight. Sharpening it really made me hate shun! And really appreciate the Gekko k tip everyone talks sh it about

You missed Apr 1st by 6 weeks.
Haha I just got this!

And I love JESUS CHRIST I’m a friend of his. I like American Spirit Black and Cuban Cohibas. Howling moon moonshine, and Blantons; I really want to get some Michters 25yr! And I love all women

props to all of you for dealing with this dude. its probably 95 posts too many.

I do it makes such a huge difference even if it is cheap.

Oh and everyone I bought a knife finally! $250 shun nakiri kaji Damascus, what do you think?!

I think, for me, the difference a polished edge makes is a loss of feedback in the cut and particularly in a steel that does not hold bite well off of the stone but to each their own. But I don't even like to take good carbon past about 3-5k.

I think, for me, the difference a polished edge makes is a loss of feedback in the cut and particularly in a steel that does not hold bite well off of the stone but to each their own. But I don't even like to take good carbon past about 3-5k.
That’s funny you say that because Love having a smooth polished edge, it just falls through stuff, I don’t like the bite. That’s what makes the world go round

Okay, I made it through 8 pages...if I knew nothing going in I could tell you that 1)there is no best/perfect knife 2) all the recommendations are solid 3) the recs are good because these people have all tried a bunch of knives...4) $ do not equal performance
If you have any interest in this at all, you need to buy a knife, use it a while, sell it and buy something else...repeat until you can answer all your own questions.
Finally, were I in your shoes I'd either buy a Gesshin stainless or a Tanaka blue2 Damascus depending on how much I wanted to spend...completely different knives but both are solid deals and very good performers.
PS polished edges are good for very few things...to include straight razors and yanagibas.

Okay, I made it through 8 pages...if I knew nothing going in I could tell you that 1)there is no best/perfect knife 2) all the recommendations are solid 3) the recs are good because these people have all tried a bunch of knives...4) $ do not equal performance
If you have any interest in this at all, you need to buy a knife, use it a while, sell it and buy something else...repeat until you can answer all your own questions.
Finally, were I in your shoes I'd either buy a Gesshin stainless or a Tanaka blue2 Damascus depending on how much I wanted to spend...completely different knives but both are solid deals and very good performers.
PS polished edges are good for very few things...to include straight razors and yanagibas.
Awesome I appreciate your input. I guess I’ve turned the corner for having Damascus I would still like a Unique knife, but I will say I think I’m more into performance now. Haha and again everyone says the polished edges don’t matter and yeah I mean I guess you don’t ever need any knife That sharp and some don’t want knives really sharp, but I prefer the polished razor edge, I can control the knife just fine and have no problem with it slipping (thank YOU LORD, haha I know that as soon as I would have said that tomorrow at work it would slip on me!) and it just falls through food with no effort. No perhaps I’m not getting to the exact polishing level you all are saying but I think so, even Theory said he didn’t like going above 5k.

But anyways, I appreciate the recommendation brother! I’m so torn! I’m still searching around and looking but I definitely have learned a Ton and now know different Smith names that I’m interested in like Tanaka and Takayuki. But I guess now my biggest question is...

If the knife is stainless clad with a carbon core, will the edge rust after a full day of use of cutting acidic items and onions and other such items? Or will it just stay clean? Or will it patina if I keep it wiped every few hours (some days especially during the summer and weekends im seriously Non stop cooking on the line from 8-4 hours, not including the two hours of set up before and two hours of prep after), but will it patina and prevent the rust? Because on those busy days I won’t be able to maintain wiping the blade every 5-10min to prevent the rust starting.

Seriously I appreciate everyone’s help!!!

Oh yeah also I guess my now new favorite thing after this thread and another one where someone posted salty dogs video on The Grind, Now my new most important thing to me is A Good Grind! One that keeps things from sticking. Like the Takayuki Ginsan Wa saltydog has. Because man, my Gekko sticks like glue and the only thing getting it off is when it pushes up and hits my knuckle and then goes rolling off into something or the floor!

Back