Line Work Horse Stainless Gyuto/Kiritsuke $70-90 Preferred!?! "Which Knife Should I Buy?"

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually just talked to JCK about the blue moon and they mentioned how sharpening will remove any beginning rust if it were to appear, which I completely forgot about! And I sharpen just about every other day because it gets used so much.

Actually just talked to JCK about the blue moon and they mentioned how sharpening will remove any beginning rust if it were to appear, which I completely forgot about! And I sharpen just about every other day because it gets used so much.

You shouldn't have to sharpen any of these knives daily. Touchups yes, but not full sharpening. Also, I'm curious about the tip on the blue moon. I may have tried a knife that is supposedly similiar, I think, and the tip on that one was quite clumsy. Maybe someone can comment on it that has used that particular knive, because I have not. This takayuki ginsan may come back to haunt you. I think sometimes, when people first get started there is some knives available that later aren't, and we look back and think dang why didn't I buy that when I had a chance. But the takayuki ginsan, 240s, are quite heavy. I love mine, but I'm just saying.

Awesome I appreciate your input. I guess I’ve turned the corner for having Damascus I would still like a Unique knife, but I will say I think I’m more into performance now. Haha and again everyone says the polished edges don’t matter and yeah I mean I guess you don’t ever need any knife That sharp and some don’t want knives really sharp, but I prefer the polished razor edge, I can control the knife just fine and have no problem with it slipping (thank YOU LORD, haha I know that as soon as I would have said that tomorrow at work it would slip on me!) and it just falls through food with no effort. No perhaps I’m not getting to the exact polishing level you all are saying but I think so, even Theory said he didn’t like going above 5k.

But anyways, I appreciate the recommendation brother! I’m so torn! I’m still searching around and looking but I definitely have learned a Ton and now know different Smith names that I’m interested in like Tanaka and Takayuki. But I guess now my biggest question is...

If the knife is stainless clad with a carbon core, will the edge rust after a full day of use of cutting acidic items and onions and other such items? Or will it just stay clean? Or will it patina if I keep it wiped every few hours (some days especially during the summer and weekends im seriously Non stop cooking on the line from 8-4 hours, not including the two hours of set up before and two hours of prep after), but will it patina and prevent the rust? Because on those busy days I won’t be able to maintain wiping the blade every 5-10min to prevent the rust starting.

Seriously I appreciate everyone’s help!!!

Oh yeah also I guess my now new favorite thing after this thread and another one where someone posted salty dogs video on The Grind, Now my new most important thing to me is A Good Grind! One that keeps things from sticking. Like the Takayuki Ginsan Wa saltydog has. Because man, my Gekko sticks like glue and the only thing getting it off is when it pushes up and hits my knuckle and then goes rolling off into something or the floor!

I think you maybe mistaking what we mean by slipping...if you try to cut a vine ripe tomato with a highly polished edge, it won't slide through the tomato, it will slip across the skin whereas a 2-5k edge will bite and actually cut vs sliding across. Polish is nice on a razor because you want it to slide across your skin vs cutting into it. I doubt you find many pros here who finish a gyuto above 6k and many like a finish closer to 2-3k.

As to grind, you'll only know it when you try it...i prefer more release myself but that comes at the expense of 'sliding through product'...you'll have to find your own sweet spot for that...if you're all about release then perhaps you should look to a wide bevel knife.

As to cutting paper, you should be able to do that off your coarse stone (200 or whatever you use)...that's more about defining the edge rather than refining it...should make less noise as you go through your progression...but really no need to be cutting paper anyway...Google/learn the Murray Carter 3 finger test for knowing when your edge is right.

One final note as I remember you talking about k-tip gyuto...while looking cool, the net effect is usually shorter heel height and flatter profile...I personally dislike the short heel and the tips tend to be a bit more fragile which I don't see being a plus in a pro kitchen...there are some with higher heels but the ones I know of are all way above your budget.

You shouldn't have to sharpen any of these knives daily. Touchups yes, but not full sharpening. Also, I'm curious about the tip on the blue moon. I may have tried a knife that is supposedly similiar, I think, and the tip on that one was quite clumsy. Maybe someone can comment on it that has used that particular knive, because I have not. This takayuki ginsan may come back to haunt you. I think sometimes, when people first get started there is some knives available that later aren't, and we look back and think dang why didn't I buy that when I had a chance. But the takayuki ginsan, 240s, are quite heavy. I love mine, but I'm just saying.

The tip on the Blue Moon is not bad at all. The grind to the edge starts at bottom of nashiji finish. There is no Nashiji at the tip so it has a relatively thinner grind. Not thin like a laser but very functional with good knife skills. Most knives food sticks to the side of the blade. The blue moon is better than most because it is thicker at top of blade with a nice semi rough Nashiji.

Don't know what stones you have no need to take it above 2-3K. I take my carbon gyuto's to 4K on a very aggressive gesshin soaker it has a good cutting edge even at 4K but that's partly because of the stone.

Don't know how to make this stick in your brain, mentioned it already in this thread. I'll put it this way used Japanese mono carbons at work for close to 25 years. Putting out banquets and even Gardemanger cutting plenty acidic foods. I never worried about rust, flex, acidic foods, food sticking to knife. Those carbon knives worked great even peeling cases of pineapples. Half the stuff people fret over in forums never even crossed my mind. CARBON KNIVES WORK BEST WHEN USED ALOT!!!!!!! They rust when not being used with poor storage.

Carbon core stainless clad only the edge will turn color. After even a couple days with your use it will start to form a nice patina. It is also good for sharpening beginners don't need a magic marker to see if have a nice even bevel heel to tip. Where the stone contacts the edge will be shiny cutting through the patina at the very edge.

The Blue Moon OOTB doesn't have a great edge, but you can make it razor sharp on a stone.

Yeah I’m really glad you said that I think that sold me I don’t want to miss out on it!

The tip on the Blue Moon is not bad at all. The grind to the edge starts at bottom of nashiji finish. There is no Nashiji at the tip so it has a relatively thinner grind. Not thin like a laser but very functional with good knife skills. Most knives food sticks to the side of the blade. The blue moon is better than most because it is thicker at top of blade with a nice semi rough Nashiji.

Don't know what stones you have no need to take it above 2-3K. I take my carbon gyuto's to 4K on a very aggressive gesshin soaker it has a good cutting edge even at 4K but that's partly because of the stone.

Don't know how to make this stick in your brain, mentioned it already in this thread. I'll put it this way used Japanese mono carbons at work for close to 25 years. Putting out banquets and even Gardemanger cutting plenty acidic foods. I never worried about rust, flex, acidic foods, food sticking to knife. Those carbon knives worked great even peeling cases of pineapples. Half the stuff people fret over in forums never even crossed my mind. CARBON KNIVES WORK BEST WHEN USED ALOT!!!!!!! They rust when not being used with poor storage.

Carbon core stainless clad only the edge will turn color. After even a couple days with your use it will start to form a nice patina. It is also good for sharpening beginners don't need a magic marker to see if have a nice even bevel heel to tip. Where the stone contacts the edge will be shiny cutting through the patina at the very edge.

The Blue Moon OOTB doesn't have a great edge, but you can make it razor sharp on a stone.

And thanks I remember it said earlier but just wanted to make sure thanks for reaffirming it!

Back