Looking for gyuto/chefs knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its kinda hard,i couldn’t find any local shops that sell it. Does it have to be ultrasharp? I can find some other brands but not ultrasharp.

No it doesn't have to be Ultra Sharp. That's just a quality made but affordable brand. Like so many things, there are some really bad plates out there so you have to be careful. Atoma, DMT, and DMD are all also popular but maybe more expensive.

There is a solid chance that most home cooks with expensive knives have sharpening solutions just as expensive as their knife collection. I've spent a good $600.00 on sharpening equipment and my knife collection is around $800-900.

There is a solid chance that most home cooks with expensive knives have sharpening solutions just as expensive as their knife collection. I've spent a good $600.00 on sharpening equipment and my knife collection is around $800-900.
Definitely wouldn’t say most. I’m probably ~$2500 into knives and all I use is a shapton 1k. I JUST picked up a 400 because I was tired of taking forever to get some stainless stuff sharp.

A 800-1k grit stone is all anyone needs

No it doesn't have to be Ultra Sharp. That's just a quality made but affordable brand. Like so many things, there are some really bad plates out there so you have to be careful. Atoma, DMT, and DMD are all also popular but maybe more expensive.
https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/-eze-lap-2x6-diamond-sharpening-stone-fine-61f.htmWhat about this? I cant find any ultrasharp. If you have a link from an EU country i would appreciate it very much. Its atleast cheaper to import then the US

https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/pt/-eze-lap-2x6-diamond-sharpening-stone-fine-61f.htmWhat about this? I cant find any ultrasharp. If you have a link from an EU country i would appreciate it very much. Its atleast cheaper to import then the US
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $13.75 36% Off | DMD Kitchen Sharpener Chef Knife Diamond Sharpening Stone 400 600 1000 1200 Grit Whetstone Knife Sharpener Scissors System H3
https://a.aliexpress.com/_oFj7mzl
DMD is fine, but diamond plate will have a lot shorter life span than a true whetstone, you will need to replace them in the long run, and be careful with force on them, they behave differently with conventional stone.

I don't know the brand. That's a common website, maybe write them an email.

I'd recommend sticking to 8" stones though as the 6" can be limiting, especially when learning.

If nothing else, just find something that you think works for you and get it. Learn to sharpen and get a proper edge and after that, the better quality gear will sell itself because you'll want those edges all the time.

Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out! $13.75 36% Off | DMD Kitchen Sharpener Chef Knife Diamond Sharpening Stone 400 600 1000 1200 Grit Whetstone Knife Sharpener Scissors System H3
https://a.aliexpress.com/_oFj7mzl
DMD is fine, but diamond plate will have a lot shorter life span than a true whetstone, you will need to replace them in the long run, and be careful with force on them, they behave differently with conventional stone.
Even if i got a good diamond plate i would still have to replace it? How often would you say? If thats the case i might just get a good whetstone

Even if i got a good diamond plate i would still have to replace it? How often would you say? If thats the case i might just get a good whetstone
Depends on how often you use it. If you are only doing edge sharpening on Masutani I’d say maybe 1 or couple more years. For thinning just days. Dry them after using, they will rust.

Depends on how often you use it. If you are only doing edge sharpening on Masutani I’d say maybe 1 or couple more years. For thinning just days. Dry them after using, they will rust.
Might just get a whetstone then

Do i need any other sharpening gear if i buy a whetstone?

They're all whet stones. Whet means to sharpen. You mean water stone. Water stones dish and need to be flattened and they wear out over time too. It'll last ya a good while but you should think about keeping it flat.

Last edited:
There all whet stones. Whet means to sharpen. You mean water stone. Water stones dish and need to be flattened and they wear out over time too. It'll last ya a good while but you should think about keeping it flat.
But it would still last longer than a diamond plate right? Also will a king water stone do just fine? I found it for quite cheap. Or should i get a shapton?

But it would still last longer than a diamond plate right? Also will a king water stone do just fine? I found it for quite cheap. Or should i get a shapton?
You’re overthinking it. Get the king and use it. Or get the diamond and use it.
If you sharpen once a month (assuming heavy use on the knife) it’ll last you plenty long.

The stones are more important than the knife.
That is pretty good advice.
People often actually have at least OK knives at home but blunt ones.
They somehow think that japanese knives cut magically and are a revelation.
The bigger revelation though is a good sharpening.
It takes practice but is so rewarding to at least become OK at it.

I have a King 1000/6000 that collects dust in my home. That would leave you with finding a solution to flatten it now and then.
You can have it for 10€ plus shipping. I am in Fürstenwalde.
If i find the dvd, i can even add murray Carter’s first sharpening video although that can eventually be found on youtube.

You’re overthinking it. Get the king and use it. Or get the diamond and use it.
If you sharpen once a month (assuming heavy use on the knife) it’ll last you plenty long.
Yeah you’re right. Thank you

That is pretty good advice.
People often actually have at least OK knives at home but blunt ones.
They somehow think that japanese knives cut magically and are a revelation.
The bigger revelation though is a good sharpening.
It takes practice but is so rewarding to at least become OK at it.

I have a King 1000/6000 that collects dust in my home. That would leave you with finding a solution to flatten it now and then.
You can have it for 10€ plus shipping. I am in Fürstenwalde.
If i find the dvd, i can even add murray Carter’s first sharpening video although that can eventually be found on youtube.
Thank you for the offer but i’m just going to buy a new one

Cool. Good luck and fun with learning to get your knives sharp!
There is good tutorials on sharpening to be found. Jon from JKI for example has lots of very good stuff on youtube.
Thank you very much

There is a solid chance that most home cooks with expensive knives have sharpening solutions just as expensive as their knife collection.

Just to illustrate this line of thinking:–

Food cost: $75

Knife to cut the food: $150

Stone to sharpen the knife that cuts the food
JKI 1000/6000 diamond: $300

Plate to flatten the stone that sharpens the knife that cuts the food
NL-10 lapping plate: $585

We therefore conclude that at least one path down this rabbit hole has the “doubling down” property – it’s easy to spend as much on the next thing as you spent on all the other things put together. 🤪

Which is why it was so nice to hear from Shoji Hamada in this thread

800-1k is needed. Anything else is nice to have.
Technically true, but on the other hand:

Life begins at 220

Last edited:
We therefore conclude that at least one path down this rabbit hole has the “doubling down” property – it’s easy to spend as much on the next thing as you spent on all the other things put together. 🤪
But not all paths are quadratic… a more linear progression might be

Knife: $150
Shapton Glass 220 + 500 + 2000: $150
Stone holder: $50
Atoma 140 + 400: $100

Or even
Knife: $50
King 220/1000: $50
Atoma 140: $50

Last edited:
The shapton pro 2000 is a little cheaper than the shapton glass 1000 if you want to save a bit. It also comes with a case you can use as a holder. I don’t personally have one but I see it frequently recommended as an initial stone.

No need for a flattener right away - just buy some coarse sandpaper and flatten on your kitchen counter as needed. Also no need for other stones for quite a while depending on your usage.

The shapton pro 2000 is a little cheaper than the shapton glass 1000 if you want to save a bit. It also comes with a case you can use as a holder. I don’t personally have one but I see it frequently recommended as an initial stone.

No need for a flattener right away - just buy some coarse sandpaper and flatten on your kitchen counter as needed. Also no need for other stones for quite a while depending on your usage.
I’m just gonna buy a king 1000. Also do i need a leather strop?

do i need a leather strop?
Not now. In a year you might get a leather strop and load it with diamond compound. For now though, no.

You can strop on just about anything.

Newspaper or denim over a countertop or 2x4 supposedly does the trick. What I can tell you for sure is that if you are not sharp pre-strop then the strop will not save you.

It is often used to compensate for poor stone sharpening. A complete deburring should be achieved with stones. Wait before exploring stropping.

I know this is only one opinion and i might have the wrong technique but i never use my DIY strops. I find a piece of cardboard quicker and easier for stropping.
There is a quirky sushi chef who makes films about sharpening his single bevels (amongst other things); always strops on newspaper.
https://www.youtube.com/@MonsterS4R996

Back