Low and going maker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me it's Catcheside. Super blocky handles with weird materials like aluminum shavings in epoxy, and grinds that are wildly different from knife to knife, but never advertised as such. With my first one, I thought I was just an idiot that couldn't cut straight at the time. I sold it to @Bico Doce (and I made sure he knew it was whack before I sent it) and he confirmed it just had a very heavy left-hand biased grind. I ordered a custom from him afterwards and specified that I really wanted a 50/50 grind. It's not quite there, but it feels A LOT better in use. Here's my first and second catcheside choil shots. The second also looks pretty asymmetrical, but I can just barely notice it in use, so maybe its just near the heel.

Hopefully everyone else's Catcheside's have been exactly what they want, but mine just haven't quite hit the mark for me.

CatchesideChoil1.jpg
CatchesideChoil2.jpg

Last edited:
For me it's Catcheside. Super blocky handles with weird materials like aluminum shavings in epoxy, and grinds that are wildly different from knife to knife, but never advertised as such. With my first one, I thought I was just an idiot that couldn't cut straight at the time. I sold it to @Bico Doce (and I made sure he knew it was whack before I sent it) and he confirmed it just had a very heavy left-hand biased grind. I ordered a custom from him afterwards and specified that I really wanted a 50/50 grind. It's not quite there, but it feels A LOT better in use. Here's my first and second catcheside choil shots. The second also looks pretty asymmetrical, but I can just barely notice it in use, so maybe its just near the heel.

Hopefully everyone else's Catcheside's have been exactly what they want, but mine just haven't quite hit the mark for me.

View attachment 307967View attachment 307968
I think his forged geometry approach to knife making leads to all this variability. Choil shots are going to be less informative as the shape could change from heel to tip compared to a ground-to-shape type blade. I think you already alluded to this. Anyone buying a Catcheside nowadays has to cross their fingers. There are some I have seen in pics I wouldn't touch with a barge pole and others that 'appear' better candidates.

He said most hyped not most prolific. I can't remember anyone hyping up Mazzer except some dealers price gouging on some unusual pieces. My guess its Kiyoshi Kato, but that would be contrary to my experience. But I guess there is a tenuous connection.

View attachment 307967View attachment 307968

I really love his stuff. I’ve only had two of them: a nakiri and 180 mm gyuto. Both were quirky. The nakiri was kinda heavy and the gyuto had the funny upswept tip bullnose profile. But man, they were magic. All too pricy for me though.

He opened his books lately and seems to be intent on getting the performance part on point. He’s been prolific(compared to before) with the cutting vids on IG lately too. Will be nice if the recent knives have ended up with fellow KKF members so they can provide feedback.

Last edited:
He opened his books lately and seems to be intent on getting the performance part on point. He’s been prolific(compared to before) with the cutting vids on IG lately too. Will be nice if the recent knives have ended up with fellow KKF members so they can provide feedback.
Well, i actually thought i was happy with my current collection and didn’t feel an imminent urge for a new knife….
Then came an IG post and some messages, now i have this beauty from will catcheside in my possession. Yet to use it because it ARM… not the best timing to buy new gyutos😅

InstaView attachment 305963

I’ll report after ARM, first impressions were good

Back