Low and going maker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are Jiros worth the hype? I’ve held a few but never used or owned one. There’s nothing superficially appealing to me (my personal and subjective taste obviously) in terms of aesthetics, geometry etc. but they’re exalted by many.

My grandma said if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all >.
Remember when the nuclear option for a grandmother was to say “That’s nice, dear” or “Why, bless your heart!” It hits harder than being chewed out using every bad word in the book, even when very creatively phrased.

A coy gambit by a Jiro publicist to divert attention away from the inquiry? His work does seem to be divisive and I am sure there are people who have views either way

Are Jiros worth the hype? I’ve held a few but never used or owned one. There’s nothing superficially appealing to me (my personal and subjective taste obviously) in terms of aesthetics, geometry etc. but they’re exalted by many.
Yes I’m interested in this as well. Some one was kind enough to let me borrow one and I didn’t love it but mostly because it was in a yo handle and very back weighted. But I did not feel like it was phenomenal (personally speaking)
It’s hard to say definitively because they are so variable.

Is it worth the current prices? Probably not, but in exactly the same way that Kono FM’s, Kato’s, Shigs and Takadas (the list could go on) aren’t.

I don’t really understand why he moved away from the older style that had a proper workhorse profile at the back and a wicked taper at the front, because the new uber thin style is perhaps a better out and out cutter, but the balance is off with the heavy yo handles unless you have a longer knife like a 255 and less distinctive against other J-knives.

I liked my older style 240, I like my newer style 255 (which is still forward balanced due to the longer length), and I really liked my wa Nakiri once it had been thinned a bit.

Last edited:
Nice customer service too if unlucky enough to receive a JJ culinary masterpiece.....but I'm not going to argue with Jesse James

EASY RETURNS & EXCHANGES​

There are no refunds on any knives once purchased, except if there is a manufacturing defect.

Nice customer service too if unlucky enough to receive a JJ culinary masterpiece.....but I'm not going to argue with Jesse James

EASY RETURNS & EXCHANGES​

There are no refunds on any knives once purchased, except if there is a manufacturing defect.
it's easy in that the answer is simply "no"

Some Ashi Ginga are thick behind the edge . . . A 150mm western petty kikuhide, a 240mm gesshin ginga, a kaneshige 180mm santoku ground lefty and fat.

Ashi that were thin behind the edge : 270mm wa gyuto, 180mm western nakiri x 2, wa 180 santoku, 150mm western petty

Pretty good maker but has inconsistency as all larger (relatively speaking for handmade knives) volume makers eventually do

Last edited:
Konosuke FM are good knives, but I could replace it with honestly any other Sakai knife, and I wouldn’t feel like I’m missing out. That little stamp really does drive hype on an otherwise simple knife!
They’re only good grabs at retail price.

Every shigefusa I’ve owned has underwhelmed me. I got a western Kitaeji and was appalled by the handle. The full tang sat at least a mm proud of the wood, and the finish was just OK. I’ll give them credit in their single bevels. Those were nice.
Hear this a lot but I’ve tried other Sakai full convex and they aren’t as good. Perf wise Takada is most similar but grind style is different and they are equally hard to obtain

I’m sorry to make another inquiry but this thread is super active with experienced users… and not really interrupting the flow of conversation rn. Are there any thoughts or strong feelings about Masaya Shimizu’s work? I’ve seen a bit here and a bit there but not all that much of his work nor opinions about it

Back