Low and going maker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lasery Japanese stuff just works IMO.
So true. I was hugely impressed by the Ashi Honyaki I had for a few days recently. Hiroshi gets so much functional convexity into what is effectively a laser with a thin 2.5mm spine. I was sad to have to return it due it being warped and heeled. Such a shame.

Beautiful thing about this hobby is that there are knives for everyone! I have very different tastes from a couple folks I trust and respect highly, to each their own
I just love their look...

0130a3c1-2fe3-494e-8e6f-d3db192acf3a_text.gif

Funny how one knife can be evaluated differently by different users... I bought a Kono Fuji FM in Blue #2 from another user who just didn't jive with the knife. I love it it though, and to me, it's a fantastic knife that just feels like an extension of my hand. I can't imagine parting ways with it.
Yeah I think people shouldn’t put certain knives down just because of the thread, we all have different taste, one man’s meat is another man’s poison

Let's stoke more fire to the flames.

The coveted Migoto White #1 I got is... fine. For the same reasons as why I find my sample of Tanaka x Kyuzo to be underwhelming - you can't just put a beautiful grind on these knives and throw a thick sharpened primary onto bevel it that ruins the behind-the-edge thinness of these blades.

I can't confirm if these primary bevels are done by the retailer or are a product of the craftsman themselves. But what's the point of all these emaculate grinds if the sharpened primary bevel is so thick ootb that I feel like I have to thin it within a month of use? For shipping protection? Ootb sharpness that doesn't matter within a week? Give me a zero bevel so I can put a stable micro bevel on that and call it a day.

I might just be really unlucky with the samples I got but I hope I'm not alone with these sentiments.

Last edited:
Konosuke FM are good knives, but I could replace it with honestly any other Sakai knife, and I wouldn’t feel like I’m missing out. That little stamp really does drive hype on an otherwise simple knife!
They’re only good grabs at retail price.

Every shigefusa I’ve owned has underwhelmed me. I got a western Kitaeji and was appalled by the handle. The full tang sat at least a mm proud of the wood, and the finish was just OK. I’ll give them credit in their single bevels. Those were nice.

Konosuke FM are good knives, but I could replace it with honestly any other Sakai knife, and I wouldn’t feel like I’m missing out. That little stamp really does drive hype on an otherwise simple knife!
They’re only good grabs at retail price.

Every shigefusa I’ve owned has underwhelmed me. I got a western Kitaeji and was appalled by the handle. The full tang sat at least a mm proud of the wood, and the finish was just OK. I’ll give them credit in their single bevels. Those were nice.
Any Tetsujin is just a nicer Fujiyama purely for the steel variety, same Myojin grind and most importantly it's actually available at decent prices.

Joel Black and Oblivion both way to thick to cut well enough and not pretty enough for me to spend time on. I have seen others from them I love so it may have only been my samples. Delber Ealy.... Awful

My Toyama SS-clad 240 was pretty underwhelming. I have a Wat Pro nakiri that I really enjoy, so was hoping for a similar grind with clean cuts and good food release....but it was just kind of a dud. It cracked carrots and wanted to get stuck on horizontal cuts. The food release was decent but not great. It cracked open sweet potatoes and I couldn't get it through the bisection cut on a butternut without a mallet. My Munetoshi won every head to head battle against it.

Based off all the glowing reviews here I expected more, but I also think I just got a fatty and wouldn't hesitate to try another. The steel was good as expected. It took and held a lovely edge, though I never quite jived with the profile. I just had no desire to thin it myself and moved on.

I think the maker is well established enough here to not worry about harming reputation, but I figured I'd chime in.

20231030_141758.jpg

I'm not gonna name names, but a few years ago, as part of a knife-swap a couple of forum members and I were doing, I got to try out a very popular western maker's work. I was incredibly underwhelmed. And overjoyed: it meant I wasn't going to have to drop hundreds of dollars buying one!
as a US maker, if you ever get a piece I made in your hands, I love feedback, good or bad, it is greatly welcomed....learning this craft is a lifelong challenge and this is what I need to make a better product!

and if the maker can't take the feedback, then gtfo of the grind ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

3 makers I don't understand, don't wish to understand and will never own are CM, JJ and probably more common on KKF, CJA.

I have to appreciate the maker to own their blades, and none of these tick that box.

3 makers I don't understand, don't wish to understand and will never own are CM, JJ and probably more common on KKF, CJA.

I have to appreciate the maker to own their blades, and none of these tick that box.
Out of those four acronyms, I got KKF.
FYI. Thanks in advance if you feel comfortable spelling it out; if not, OK.

I mean, Jesse James is an autonomous self-propelled *********, but other than that, he's alright.

Back