Me, my stuff, and I

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming soon:

20141103_220127_LLS-picsay_zps0eec4f2e.jpg

Are the western Katos that much thinner at the choil than the wa's or is it just my imagination? BTW, they look great!

Dear Lord! those Katos are sexy :ubersexy: and I agree with chinacats they do look a lot thinner based on these photos

Are the western Katos that much thinner at the choil than the wa's or is it just my imagination? BTW, they look great!

For now I honestly couldn't tell you. I have yet to handle a wa version. What got me on this Kato kick was another thread discussing preferences of American vs Japanese makes. I thought the thread was a bit short sighted as there are other great makers out there besides American/Japanese. That said, there were many voices blatantly disregarding anything not Japanese, so I decided to take the "Eastern" dude of my collection a little further, deeper. I didn't intend on having 2 Katos, I had originally wanted the white ebony handle one. While I was waiting, reading and deciding whether or not too get it, it had sold to someone else. So I picked up the the Ancient Kauri handled one. Of course a month later the forum member who beat me to the white handed one hit me up asking if I'd like to take it. At that time I was (and still am) under the spell that is Kato.
Just receiving it the other day and comparing the 2, I'd say the white handle version weights less and comes in noticeably thinner than the Kauri. Yes, there is a difference in wood weight/density, but it goes a bit further than that.
They both cut like champs so I won't complain. The white ebony handle was a little on the rough side, and I believe that's how the original owner received it as well. After a little spa treatment of sanding down the wood and liners, and rounding off the "bolster's" sharp edges along with the spine, it got several soaks of various mineral oils and waxes. Now she's a real beaut!

Andy Billipp 10" Gyuto in 52100 Carbon wearing Maple Burl and brass.
Saya is leather and wood, not sure what kind though.

I've received several inquiries on Billipp's work and how it performs. These photos will be a formal intro for my "review". In the meantime, let's just say this guy knows what he's doing...

AndyBillip-2_zps6a0fa9dd.jpg
AndyBillip_zps6eddee42.jpg
AndyBillip-3_zpsbc862dcd.jpg
AndyBillip-4_zps17190a11.jpg
AndyBillip-5_zps41c2438a.jpg
AndyBillip-6_zps890e3752.jpg
AndyBillip-7_zpsa1548a21.jpg
AndyBillip-8_zpsa0078dfe.jpg
AndyBillip-9_zps285b3c11.jpg
AndyBillip-10_zps315d19d6.jpg

The billipp looks great Marc. Is it just me or does the choil shot make it look like it's not that thin behind the edge?

The billipp looks great Marc. Is it just me or does the choil shot make it look like it's not that thin behind the edge?

No, it's actually not super thin behind the edge. You'd neverbe able to tell when using it though. At this point, the knife performers so well that I'm in absolutely no rush to thin it out. Again, I'm not too sure what kind of magic voodoo Andy used when making this knife, but it's cutting performance rivals if not surpasses the best amongst what I've personally used.

I'm not as knowledgeable on the inner depth workings when it comes to knives as others here on the forum are. I've definitely learned a massive amount since I joined here over 2 years ago though.
I say this as my disclaimer when giving any sort of "review" on a knife.
So with the Billipp I'll offer my take on certain aspects in quick form:

Blade profile- meets my taste perfectly, height at heel which tapers to a fine point smoothly. Also, scary thin distal taper starting at the last inch or so on the tip. The rustic, organic roughness left along the spine and part of the blade road lend itself well towards comfort and (I suspect) less food stickage. The thick machi, or neck, that tapers to that insanely thin tip, it's extremely comfortable when in pinch grip mode. Which is about 90% of the time.

Handle- The figuring on the handle is so "busy" that it became a bit of a task to get a clear shot focus wise. The camera was quite confused. In high action photography you want a fat shutter speed for a crisp still, but this lends to a low light (dark) picture. So slowing the shutter to show more light, even with mounted flash, the figuring of the wood shows a bit blurred. Almost like the "movement" of the figuring was actually moving.
With that said, the handle was the one concern I had when purchasing a Billipp knife. Dig the looks, but where the blade starts it looks as though it would somewhat uncomfortable. The reality, right from the get go is that the handle shape and drop facilitates an easy yet comfortable pinch grip. One that definitely doesn't call for a full on white knuckle grip just to keep the knife steady during performance.

Sharpening and Edge Retention- The steel is a finely treated 52100 Carbon. I say finely treated as I really don't have much knowledge in the topic of forging other than the final result- performance.
I left the original edge intact for as long as usual could before taking this knife to the stones. It was a couple months, but keep in mind it wasn't a dedicated couple months. I use/play with many knives every week, and the Billipp has a very Real spot in the rotation.
Once I took it to the stones I gave it a quick few passes on a 1200 and followed with a 5k and light stropping on felt. Hair popping sharp, which doesn't stay, but what does stay is an edge that is quick to slice or dice through just about anything. And that edge has been on there untouched for the past month or so, during which it has seen some good exercise. Do for my use I'd say edge retention is an A+.

Performance- I try not to compare knives and makers to one another here as I find it somewhat crass and uncomfortable. Also, what might fancy my cutting needs today might change tomorrow. That's a "downfall" of having several knives to choose from.
I will say that this knife does compete on a similar level as the Western Kato work house. It does slice through carrots magically easy. Potatoes offer no resistance or stickage from heel to tip. Mincing onions or shallots is a breeze. Sweeping corn off the cob while holding the corn horizontally off the board is super easy. Sweet potatoes are no threat as well. I'd say the differences when comparing it to the Kato is the Billipp feels more agile in the hand, as well as more sturdy. There's a balance that the Billipp has that just offers a little more fluidity when in use. However, all the cutting tasks I mentioned earlier are performed better (read easier) with the Kato, but only by small margins. Keep in mind though, that the Billipp has yet to be thinned any.

Overall Impressions- There are several threads asking the question "if you could only have one knife...", and I think it's such a difficult hand to play. Of course fundamentally I'd need more than just one knife. To many different tasks for just one knife. But if I had to say just one knife for general board work mise, I'd say the Billipp. Today. It'll certainly change tomorrow. I will say this though, there's a small handful of knives out of the several I've had that will NEVER leave my stewardship. Ever. Some for sentimental reasons like the HHH Tuxedo I won the same day my daughter was born. As far as I'm concerned, that's not my knife to give away, it belongs to her when she's of age obviously. The Billipp is one of those knives that will stay in my stable permanently, and not for any sentimental reason, just sheer performance and function.

This is my personal "review" of Andy Billipp's work. Obviously not a full "professional" review, just one from a guy that knows how to cut things very well.

No, it's actually not super thin behind the edge. You'd neverbe able to tell when using it though. At this point, the knife performers so well that I'm in absolutely no rush to thin it out. Again, I'm not too sure what kind of magic voodoo Andy used when making this knife, but it's cutting performance rivals if not surpasses the best amongst what I've personally used.

I'm not as knowledgeable on the inner depth workings when it comes to knives as others here on the forum are. I've definitely learned a massive amount since I joined here over 2 years ago though.
I say this as my disclaimer when giving any sort of "review" on a knife.
So with the Billipp I'll offer my take on certain aspects in quick form:

Blade profile- meets my taste perfectly, height at heel which tapers to a fine point smoothly. Also, scary thin distal taper starting at the last inch or so on the tip. The rustic, organic roughness left along the spine and part of the blade road lend itself well towards comfort and (I suspect) less food stickage. The thick machi, or neck, that tapers to that insanely thin tip, it's extremely comfortable when in pinch grip mode. Which is about 90% of the time.

Handle- The figuring on the handle is so "busy" that it became a bit of a task to get a clear shot focus wise. The camera was quite confused. In high action photography you want a fat shutter speed for a crisp still, but this lends to a low light (dark) picture. So slowing the shutter to show more light, even with mounted flash, the figuring of the wood shows a bit blurred. Almost like the "movement" of the figuring was actually moving.
With that said, the handle was the one concern I had when purchasing a Billipp knife. Dig the looks, but where the blade starts it looks as though it would somewhat uncomfortable. The reality, right from the get go is that the handle shape and drop facilitates an easy yet comfortable pinch grip. One that definitely doesn't call for a full on white knuckle grip just to keep the knife steady during performance.

Sharpening and Edge Retention- The steel is a finely treated 52100 Carbon. I say finely treated as I really don't have much knowledge in the topic of forging other than the final result- performance.
I left the original edge intact for as long as usual could before taking this knife to the stones. It was a couple months, but keep in mind it wasn't a dedicated couple months. I use/play with many knives every week, and the Billipp has a very Real spot in the rotation.
Once I took it to the stones I gave it a quick few passes on a 1200 and followed with a 5k and light stropping on felt. Hair popping sharp, which doesn't stay, but what does stay is an edge that is quick to slice or dice through just about anything. And that edge has been on there untouched for the past month or so, during which it has seen some good exercise. Do for my use I'd say edge retention is an A+.

Performance- I try not to compare knives and makers to one another here as I find it somewhat crass and uncomfortable. Also, what might fancy my cutting needs today might change tomorrow. That's a "downfall" of having several knives to choose from.
I will say that this knife does compete on a similar level as the Western Kato work house. It does slice through carrots magically easy. Potatoes offer no resistance or stickage from heel to tip. Mincing onions or shallots is a breeze. Sweeping corn off the cob while holding the corn horizontally off the board is super easy. Sweet potatoes are no threat as well. I'd say the differences when comparing it to the Kato is the Billipp feels more agile in the hand, as well as more sturdy. There's a balance that the Billipp has that just offers a little more fluidity when in use. However, all the cutting tasks I mentioned earlier are performed better (read easier) with the Kato, but only by small margins. Keep in mind though, that the Billipp has yet to be thinned any.

Overall Impressions- There are several threads asking the question "if you could only have one knife...", and I think it's such a difficult hand to play. Of course fundamentally I'd need more than just one knife. To many different tasks for just one knife. But if I had to say just one knife for general board work mise, I'd say the Billipp. Today. It'll certainly change tomorrow. I will say this though, there's a small handful of knives out of the several I've had that will NEVER leave my stewardship. Ever. Some for sentimental reasons like the HHH Tuxedo I won the same day my daughter was born. As far as I'm concerned, that's not my knife to give away, it belongs to her when she's of age obviously. The Billipp is one of those knives that will stay in my stable permanently, and not for any sentimental reason, just sheer performance and function.

This is my personal "review" of Andy Billipp's work. Obviously not a full "professional" review, just one from a guy that knows how to cut things very well.

Nice write up Marc, sounds great!!!

Marc, thank you for the pre-review write-up on the Billipp. And those are some wonderful photographs too. I have made my mind :)

Been chopping with this for a little bit more now. What started out as a few drawings and conversations of design (along with a couple postponement)
is now this performer:
the better pics come Ian
mB1tEtSh_zps991289f9.jpg
sQoFm0b-Imgur_zpsed21ac34.jpg
qhZXn1H-Imgur_zpsa7263d60.jpg
Qt0SD6C-Imgur_zpsb3c7b0f9.jpg
qAs9cjL-Imgur_zps7fd531af.jpg
PEk4C5b-Imgur_zpsb40af3f2.jpg
mUcxoIp-Imgur_zpsab05cdcd.jpg
bsUTRiY-Imgur_zps9eaea8d2.jpg
8tfwLlk-Imgur_zps52a7cb3c.jpg
0uSOO97-Imgur_zps2f693510.jpg
Haburn6_zpsaa63f6f4.jpg
Haburn5_zps99fc7145.jpg
Haburn4_zps3c05cd37.jpg
Haburn_zps0593bc28.jpg
Haburn2_zpsde3833e1.jpg
XqwKwBTh_zpseea96dee.jpg

She's a beauty! Not only are his blades finished extremely well, but his handles are just top notch!

His handles are amazing! I mean, look at this msn!

240 Stainless class Kochi. I don't recall the wood as I've had it for some time now.
(Pics courtesy of Ian himself. When there this good, no need for me to shoot more!)

0BoGoIh-Imgur-1_zpsd4d9ff0f.jpg
By30Svj-Imgur_zpsd6c32857.jpg
BAnA0NP-Imgur_zps93297343.jpg
ktXCslj-Imgur_zpsbbb2e79b.jpg

Love the look of that handle on the Kochi!! Great job Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back