Ming Tsai's new knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They already make one, good luck using a pinch grip...
hhmk.jpg
[/]
W T F? Is that sh*t for real?????

This is a new experience for me, feel free to inundate my PM with links, I love this type of interwebs shenanigans...

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the recently viewed items on that amazon page, really sums it up... (check out the reviews, the fibonacci reference is genius)

The other viewed items is far better than any hilarious review one could make up.

Just got your PM BK, I never knew there was such an amazingly awesome sub culture on amazon. Makes me feel one with the world again...

Thanks, but I got amped on Tuscan milk, and took a 'Corn down with my bare arm pits, after I cleaved dimensions with my nesting knives. I've got a unicorn leg in cure as we speak.

These knives did not perform like the demo's Ming & HSN staff did on air. I bought a pair last year and rarely use them cause they're really dull. The demos Ming & HSN staff doing I'm pretty sure are set up with the knives professionally sharpened, there is no possible way it will it do what they're doing on air right now. :no:

But Ming is back again this year and because it's such a screaming deal this time you get 3 knives vs 2 for same price $19. And it's not so bad if you know how to sharpen these things. It is quite a novelty and it is rather unique with the holes to prevent sticking but that feature is useless if the knives are not in the least sharp.

But I thought you know... the price is really a screaming deal I'm going to buy several sets for Xmas presents & tell them they have to get them sharpened which is not too bad at your butcher or farmer's market. HSN is also offering his other items such as the bamboo cutting board with magnets to hold your knives, again I have to give the man some credit for coming up with cool neat features towards every day items we use constantly. :cheffry:

These knives did not perform like the demo's Ming & HSN staff did on air. I bought a pair last year and rarely use them cause they're really dull. The demos Ming & HSN staff doing I'm pretty sure are set up with the knives professionally sharpened, there is no possible way it will it do what they're doing on air right now. :no:

But Ming is back again this year and because it's such a screaming deal this time you get 3 knives vs 2 for same price $19. And it's not so bad if you know how to sharpen these things. It is quite a novelty and it is rather unique with the holes to prevent sticking but that feature is useless if the knives are not in the least sharp.

But I thought you know... the price is really a screaming deal I'm going to buy several sets for Xmas presents & tell them they have to get them sharpened which is not too bad at your butcher or farmer's market. HSN is also offering his other items such as the bamboo cutting board with magnets to hold your knives, again I have to give the man some credit for coming up with cool neat features towards every day items we use constantly. :cheffry:

No. Just don't do any of that. These are terrible and your friends and family will hate you for cursing them with these "knives". Tell ya what, why don't we find you a suitable knife for your needs? You will see the difference immediately and your life will be forever changed for the better.

Sad thing is I've hung out with Ming a few times and he's a good guy. Our kids played together. No easy way to look someone in the eye when you know, and they know, they shilled for the $$. I guess everyone has their own personal barometer.

The only chefs/cooks I've seen actually use the knives they put their names on or endorse is Ray Ray. I know Ming didn't use that knife in TCM unless it was on an episode I missed.

The only chefs/cooks I've seen actually use the knives they put their names on or endorse is Ray Ray. I know Ming didn't use that knife in TCM unless it was on an episode I missed.

While completely off point... Heston Blumenthal also use the Tojiro knives he endorses. At least I have seen him using them in some of his shows. No idea what he uses in the kitchen when cameras aren't around though.

And why crucify the guy for making a bit of extra dollar. The people who buy these are always going to buy crummy infomercial stuff, and at $20, no real harm, you get 3 months use for them and they really have done their job.

And it takes a special person to get interested in proper good knives, so leave those that just want something that cuts, sort of alone. I have only just started (have 2 guytos) and I constantly get heckled by my wife for "wasting money on knives" or "you already have so many knives" when looking at more.

While completely off point... Heston Blumenthal also use the Tojiro knives he endorses. At least I have seen him using them in some of his shows. No idea what he uses in the kitchen when cameras aren't around though.

And why crucify the guy for making a bit of extra dollar. The people who buy these are always going to buy crummy infomercial stuff, and at $20, no real harm, you get 3 months use for them and they really have done their job.

And it takes a special person to get interested in proper good knives, so leave those that just want something that cuts, sort of alone. I have only just started (have 2 guytos) and I constantly get heckled by my wife for "wasting money on knives" or "you already have so many knives" when looking at more.

I believe in leading by example. If you're gonna endorse a product or put your name on it then shouldn't you use it? Or is it only good enough for the common folk?

My husband has expensive hobbies so he doesn't fuss at me for my knives. Honestly, I think he's just glad I'm not buying any more purses at the moment lol. Can't afford both habits ;)

Oh and welcome to KKF!!

I will bite ... Because such things hurt everyone just a tiny bit. A classic tragedy of the commons.

First an environmental point - a good entry level guyto that can be used for 20 years is much more environmentally friendly than cheapish crap that will be thrown away and fill some dump. And lets not talk about the knives the bladesmiths here make that probably could last a generation or two. You create pollution when you create stuff and to create cheap stuff is as polluting as expensive one since the BoM is very similar.

There is also obesity epidemic worldwide. Bringing people back into the kitchen is probably one of the lowest hanging fruits out there to fight it - just removing the added sugar and salt from the processed food from the diet could have enormous benefits over the course of an year or two. Making prep work hard or unpleasant will not help that goal. And diabetes is expensive disease - so in a way it goes out of the social systems.

And so on and so on ... selling substandard, unusable stuff hurts the whole economic ecosystem.

if given a choice of 'selling out' with a nice compensation, i'm pretty sure all of you hating on this guy or any other endorser would NOT turn down such an offer. it's the public's own fault if they buy into crappy products just because of marketing. don't hate the players, hate the system.

I will bite ... Because such things hurt everyone just a tiny bit. A classic tragedy of the commons.

First an environmental point - a good entry level guyto that can be used for 20 years is much more environmentally friendly than cheapish crap that will be thrown away and fill some dump. And lets not talk about the knives the bladesmiths here make that probably could last a generation or two. You create pollution when you create stuff and to create cheap stuff is as polluting as expensive one since the BoM is very similar.

There is also obesity epidemic worldwide. Bringing people back into the kitchen is probably one of the lowest hanging fruits out there to fight it - just removing the added sugar and salt from the processed food from the diet could have enormous benefits over the course of an year or two. Making prep work hard or unpleasant will not help that goal. And diabetes is expensive disease - so in a way it goes out of the social systems.

And so on and so on ... selling substandard, unusable stuff hurts the whole economic ecosystem.

Definitely bit more than I thought possible, and interesting points. You are drawing some long bows there, but valid ones. Never even bothered to consider about the sustainability aspect of purchasing top quality stuff, but it is quite valid.

As for the economic point, I reckon I could find 6 economists that would argue that continually buying cheap stuff is better for the economy where as I could find half a dozen economists that agree with your assertion.

But they are valid points, though I do say the strongest argument should be that if you endorse a product you should stand by and use it for the applications you say you should.

Well, this is true, but Tojiro is about a gazillion times better quality and durable compared to the Ming Tsai crap.

How could MT endorse this kind of quality and pretend its good and durable stuff, whilst it is not? MT is endorsing a lie whilst HB is endorsing stuff which at least has some pro's to it.

Back