D. Martell Moving Shop

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'M BACK!!! Well I'm online anyway which while a small step for most is HUGE for me today.

So what have I been up to? A lot has happened since I last posted but some things have remained the same. I actually hate to admit this and to make this post but I need to. The situation with our housing and my work shop is bad - very bad. All of our belongings (including shop equipment) is in storage. I haven't been able to make but a few dollars through website sales and since I can't work with my hands we are income-less...99% dead in the water The truth is that we're nearly homeless at the moment, we would be homeless is it wasn't for the generosity of our parents. We've been staying in hotels for a couple of weeks and now we're in a cabin in a campground.

How did this happen? We were evicted from our apartment/shop because the landlord found a new tenant who was willing to rent all of the garage bays IF they could have our shop and apartment in the package. This meant a big income increase for the landlord (who's an attorney) so you know what he did..... Yup he took us to court citing that we owed back rent (nearly $4k) from a 5% per annum increase (that was in the contract from 2008) that he never asked for. At the time he served us papers we were 5 days late on rent and had been late off and on over the 6 plus years we lived there. Full disclosure here except for the scumbag's name, satan knows who he is and will be waiting.

Why haven't we found a new house/shop? There isn't one to be found. We, along with multiple realtors, have been scouring for a suitable home (and/or shop even) but nothing (NOT a damn thing!) has materialized. We are at a loss for what to do here. We're at a point where we NEED to get a place, I mean time has run out for us.

As for me running off with people's money, I can fully understand this concern, but let me state that I HAVE no choice but to make this business work out - to get a shop - and to get back to work. Most of you don't know this but I have a pretty serious medical condition that keeps me from going with steady "normal" employment. You see back in 2002 I had a brain tumor removed that left me with some side effects that run my life, I am 50% deaf (right ear nerves have been disconnected), I have pain on the right side/ear/neck, my balance is crap, I get migraines behind my left eye, and when it's cold the fat inserted in the hole in my skull contracts and puts me out. I have some days that are good and some that are bad but mostly it's a 1/2 day or by the hour type thing that would not allow me to work other than for myself which affords me the flexibility to deal with these issues. So like I said, I HAVE to make this work - I have no where else to go besides SSI or welfare or something to that effect.

For those of you who have contacted me through email, I'm sorry but that has all been lost. I will try to recover from my downloads what I can but I had to ditch my old (Verizon) email address. I have a new (Gmail) account though so I can move forward with this.

For the PM's here, I have 13 waiting, I promise I'll get to them ASAP.

Finally, thanks for all the kind words and well wishes, it means a lot. :)

Dave

Good to hear from you, a lot of people were worried about you bro. To some extent I know what you're going through, wasn't that long ago that I literally lost everything of value to what can only be described as a living soap opera. When I got to Hawaii all I had left was four small boxes of clothes, a suitcase, and a bicycle. With the help of family I was able to get back on my feet, but I don't know what I'd of done without them.

Best wishes,
Mikey

Sounds familiar, sorry to hear that, Dave. Hope something will come up, worst case scenario you will have to move to New Jersey ;) So, what is your current Paypal address?

Stefan

Oh, so it's the Hawaii handle maker cartel now. :surrendar:

Rick, Ryan...take care of these guys! :spiteful:

Two islands down, just three more to go:happy222:

A hui hou,
Mikey

Wow, this sucks Dave.

I wish you all the best and hope you find yourself a nice place to live and set up shop. You are in my prayers.

Hey Dave give me a call or shoot me an email, got some stuff to go over with you. P.S when we left that building it was the worst chapter of my life financially and mentally.

Sorry to hear this Dave, the situation with the landlord sounds very familiar to me, having been forced to move recently. Thankfully just workshop not home. Luckily I found a place. I wish you the same good fortune my friend.

Dave,

Could you PM me with the size and services you need in a shop? I don't want to raise any false hopes too early, but my family an attached shop 30 mins from Fleetwood, PA. It's been out of use by our family for a while, and it could be a temporary option to get some work out while looking for a permanent spot.

My father had crippling migraines that eventually prevented him from keeping up with a 9-5. My family and I can truly sympathize. Regardless of what works for you, I wish you blessings in getting past this temporary rough spot.

Dave, I can talk to my BIL about letting you use his detached garage/ shop for a little bit. It's set up for woodworking, but has a lot of space. No running water, but water is available from hose bibs at the main house. It's about 45 minutes from your old place, in the Malvern/ Farmville area. You have my phone #?

Dave, I can talk to my BIL about letting you use his detached garage/ shop for a little bit. It's set up for woodworking, but has a lot of space. No running water, but water is available from hose bibs at the main house. It's about 45 minutes from your old place, in the Malvern/ Farmville area. You have my phone #?

Thanks David but I'm hoping for a more permanent solution. I do appreciate the offer though, it's very thoughtful of you.

He mentioned to me that the cost of moving shop gear puts too much of a dent into the bit of extra productivity that a temporary spot affords. Makes sense. Even free help ain't free in this world!

Dave is right, my last move to this one cost me over £5000 and a few months work. The things that make the move more time consuming and expensive are, building new storage, workspace in your new place, and electrics, if you have to do it all from scratch that can really blow funds and time. I was a little upset to only get 3 years out of my last place. But this move has been efficient as I had all the storage and work furniture I needed already, landlord installed the electric, I just have to wire the 3 phase machines in and reassemble benches and shelves. This place has a 5 year lease. In this sense its much better and cheaper often to rent a purpose built industrial unit and be able to tell the landlord what you need. This time I also hired help for the actual moving. Its a real false economy trying to do it alone, down time is the killer and having help speeds things up three fold, even just getting one strong helper. Especially as when moving your stressed and thinking about a million things at once, it helps to have a relatively unstressed head to bounce off.

Also, Dave has a group of us within a couple hours. I'm sure we can help with some of the sorting and lifting if he gives us some notice :) gotta help a KKFer in need

Well another week has gone by and nothing good to report. Just thought I'd drop an update. :(

Hi Dave, only just seen the updates, good luck with everything and hope you get sorted soon:thumbsup:

I wish you all the best I can Dave - that is some though situation you found yourself in. I hope you will find some place to live/work soon. I wish I could help.

Now is a good time to start writing a book. "Sharpest Tool in the Shed: The high and low spots of a master blade sharpener by Dave Martell"

Or "The Knife Whisperer: My life on the cutting edge of the industry"

I sure the other folks here could chime in with some even better titles.

Thanks for keeping us updated, I hope things work out for you.

If you want a change of scenery, and maybe a little warmer winter, let me know and we can get you moved to NC for a new start. There are a lot of vacant properties here and I bet we could find somethuing that could fit easily.

If you want a change of scenery, and maybe a little warmer winter, let me know and we can get you moved to NC for a new start. There are a lot of vacant properties here and I bet we could find somethuing that could fit easily.

I've looked into NC as well as a few other states. If it was easier to check out locations (and move everything) I'd be much more receptive to going a further distance. Thanks for thinking of me though, I'll be sure to keep this in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back