Munetoshi gyutos anyone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi rj, 230g would be just about right. I would still love to hear how does it compare to Toyama (or others). I am trying to avoid ordering both Toyama and Munetoshi, even though the trio (including Kato) would make for a great comparison review :)

Matus-

230g was just an educated guess. I too have been eyeing a Toyama. I really enjoy Itinomonn but would like to try something a little heftier.

My willpower broke last night and I ordered a 240 Munetoshi. I will report back next week with its weight and thoughts.

Cheers,
rj

Wow. This thread is making me want to pull the trigger on one of those. I looked on JNS. Both the butcher and 240 guyto seems very attractive. It is going to be hard to choose.

Wow. This thread is making me want to pull the trigger on one of those. I looked on JNS. Both the butcher and 240 guyto seems very attractive. It is going to be hard to choose.

Easy. Just get both

The butcher is pretty specialized for making big pieces of meat into smaller pieces of meat and does a great job of it. Not so useful for board work or any kind of multi-tasking. I want to try a gyuto one day - but not today.

Where do you guy find Munetoshi Kasumi? I only see KU version on Maxim's site..

Maxim had some Kasumi when he first brought the maker in but is only doing Ku now

This thread has me convinced I should get one. The question is 210 or 240. Sounds like an excellent middle of the road knife. Middle of the road not in the quality sense but not a fad knife like a laser or super duty workhorse.

Can anyone tell me if they measure short, long, or dead on ?

This thread has me convinced I should get one. The question is 210 or 240. Sounds like an excellent middle of the road knife. Middle of the road not in the quality sense but not a fad knife like a laser or super duty workhorse.

Can anyone tell me if they measure short, long, or dead on ?

Egads! I hope you figured it out because both are OOS now.

Egads! I hope you figured it out because both are OOS now.

Heh! At least Maksim is getting them back in stock every couple weeks. Part of which I'm guessing is due to the lower level of finish on this series, compared to some other knives out there. Which I'm all for btw.

Matus-

I was wondering the same. I think I saw someone post that the 210 weighs 190g. Guessing the 240 would be ~230g given the specs from Maxim. Seems like these will be a bit heavier than Itinomonn yet still thin behind the edge.

Really just guessing here. I am really tempted since I don't have a 240 that I really enjoy using as a workhorse.

Cheers,
rj

Just weighed my 240mm and it came in at 186 grams, I love this knife, best J knife I have purchased for many years, grind and HT is stellar!!
Unbelievable value at this price point a better performer IMHO than Kato and Shig, F&F is actualy pretty nice on mine, few sharp edges but no biggy
Great knife

Just weighed my 240mm and it came in at 186 grams, I love this knife, best J knife I have purchased for many years, grind and HT is stellar!!
Unbelievable value at this price point a better performer IMHO than Kato and Shig, F&F is actualy pretty nice on mine, few sharp edges but no biggy
Great knife

Thanks. I just wanted to order one, but they are sold out and it will be 20th of July before first Maxim and then me will be back from vacation :(

Mine weighs in at 194g. The KU is nice. F&F is really not bad at all. Edge OOTB was pretty good which I used for 3 days at work then sharpen on the JKI diamond 1/6K set. The steel felt great on the stones and took a great edge very quickly. I have put 3 days on this edge and it still feels great. For comparison, I usually prefer to touch up white #2 after 2-3 days of reasonable use. I will see how many days before I feel the need for a touch up. The grind feels like an Itinomonn but just a bit heftier (no experience with Kato or Shig). So far this is a great knife for the price point.

Cheers,
rj

Indeed this thread makes one want to buy one. For you guys, however, what makes you love this knife compared to other? what are the characteristic that yo like. What I read from this thread is it is a workhouse thin behind the edge. But why is it so exceptional?

Indeed this thread makes one want to buy one. For you guys, however, what makes you love this knife compared to other? what are the characteristic that yo like. What I read from this thread is it is a workhouse thin behind the edge. But why is it so exceptional?

Take this with a grain of salt since I have only used it for 6 days of work. Also, I am only a fairly recent convert from being a laser lover to being more of a workhorse type of guy. The Itinomonn knives have really impressed me due to nice heft, doesn't flex like a laser and excellent food release yet still chops very well for a very reasonable price. This Munetoshi seems like a further extension of the Itinomonn knives; a bit heftier and a bit better food release with a steel that is easier to sharpen and yet holds its edge a little longer (still to be determined for myself) all for a really nice price.

I thoroughly use my knives in a commercial setting. I don't abuse them and do take pretty good care of them (Konosuke w#2 gyuto was my daily driver for several years) but my personal price point is not much over $300. I just don't feel comfortable spending much over that on a knife that I heavily utilize and would probably baby it to the point where I am not using it as I really should. I don't think I would ever step into the $500-1000 range (of course this could change). Saying all of this, performance wise I am very happy with my Munetoshi KU 240 gyuto.

I hope that helps,
rj

Someone just sell me theirs finally! :beatinghead:

... I guess I need chill out :wink:

Necroposting since I decided to order a 240 gyuto from Maksim but have to wait until next month to play with it. He's on vacation. Sad face.

Back