My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is the only way to get color like this forcing the patina? every time i look at this thread all the colors are so vibrant and all my patinas are very light or leaning slightly more towards dark blue/brown. or is this more to do with the steel/heat treat and such
I've never forced a patina. Certainly as others said cutting the right thing is helpful. Hot protein has pretty much guaranteed blue for me. The brightest colors come in the very early stages of patina formation. After a while the color fades.

Another big factor is the finish of the knife. In my experience the more polished the steel is, the more intense the patina.

Is the only way to get color like this forcing the patina? every time i look at this thread all the colors are so vibrant and all my patinas are very light or leaning slightly more towards dark blue/brown. or is this more to do with the steel/heat treat and such
I cheat whenever I have a big hunk o meat. Freshly polished/reset/unpatina'd knives are most reactive so I always lay down a hot pork or beef base to get the blues and purples going strong. Then I cut whatever and use as normal and funky patina builds on top. It's also dependent on the particular iron cladding. I've had some cladding turn lovely blue with garlic or onions while others turn rusty brown.

20240304_184512.jpg

Yep no lacquer. I definitely got a striking blue on and around the core steel but not much further up the blade. Probably only let it rest unwashed for two minutes before I ‘chickened out’ and washed it.
I don’t normally leave a knife resting for that long before washing it (apart from one time when I was trying to get my Wakui WH to look remotely like @NickMinton and @Uncle Danny’s).

Washing in really hot water seems to help.

A couple rounds of nothing but pork on the Okubo 250 in overcast light. Sent it to Jon for a tip thinning and they cleaned up all the coarse grind marks on it so now it patinas like a mfer.

Ft Swampdog impatiently waiting morning fetch so he can track mud all over my house.

View attachment 306214View attachment 306215
As if there weren’t enough reasons to get an Okubo 250

Do you let the meat juices sit on the knife for a bit? I’m a home cook, thus am not processing all that much cooked meat in one cook. I had a fair bit of success last night in getting a patina on an white steel, iron clad knife, although mostly on the core steel and not the kasumi polished iron cladding (which was completely covered in meat juice).
I will sometimes let my knives sit in hot meat juices. It’s helpful to also put them under super hot water, then wash with soap and then rinse again in hot water.

This is all made better when you’ve also just finished polishing a knife

I will sometimes let my knives sit in hot meat juices. It’s helpful to also put them under super hot water, then wash with soap and then rinse again in hot water.

This is all made better when you’ve also just finished polishing a knife
Look at us talking about polishing knives like it's a totally normal thing that people do. 🤣

Look at us talking about polishing knives like it's a totally normal thing that people do. 🤣
“Oh hey man, check out this knife I just got, I’ve been waiting for 18 months and it cost me $1500!!!”

“That’s a really cool knife, does it cut super easy or is it the worlds sharpest knife?”

“no, not really. It’s alright at cutting”

“Oh really? Then why did you buy it?”

“So I can polish it on some stones (points at Renge suita bench stone”

“How much do those cost??”

“Uuuhhhhhh”

“So…you bought a $1500 knife just to rub it on a $2000 rock?”

“Yeeeaahhh…something like that”

“Oh hey man, check out this knife I just got, I’ve been waiting for 18 months and it cost me $1500!!!”

“That’s a really cool knife, does it cut super easy or is it the worlds sharpest knife?”

“no, not really. It’s alright at cutting”

“Oh really? Then why did you buy it?”

“So I can polish it on some stones (points at Renge suita bench stone”

“How much do those cost??”

“Uuuhhhhhh”

“So…you bought a $1500 knife just to rub it on a $2000 rock?”

“Yeeeaahhh…something like that”
This as to be pin somewhere! This is an excellent summary👌

Hey Honey, so this May sound wierd out of context but I just finished working on the knife, so you want to eat some ham ?

Attachments

• 20240322_204632.jpg
    20240322_204632.jpg
    922.2 KB · Views: 0
Interesting. Always assumed pineapple was too acidic for a nice blue patina
Well, I kinda lied. The blue is mostly from pickled radish, but its stable enough to stay blue after a pineapple I cut.

Now the magic patina I believe comes from peeling mangoes, I get blues, purples, and even greens from those and it's fantastic. Waiting for mango season to come by again.

Well, I kinda lied. The blue is mostly from pickled radish, but its stable enough to stay blue after a pineapple I cut.

Now the magic patina I believe comes from peeling mangoes, I get blues, purples, and even greens from those and it's fantastic. Waiting for mango season to come by again.
Haha all makes sense. Dying for my shihan customs to come to fruition, one is very similar to yours.

Back