My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple rounds of nothing but pork on the Okubo 250 in overcast light. Sent it to Jon for a tip thinning and they cleaned up all the coarse grind marks on it so now it patinas like a mfer.

Ft Swampdog impatiently waiting morning fetch so he can track mud all over my house.

20240308_081405 (1).jpg
20240308_081401.jpg

Is the only way to get color like this forcing the patina? every time i look at this thread all the colors are so vibrant and all my patinas are very light or leaning slightly more towards dark blue/brown. or is this more to do with the steel/heat treat and such

Is the only way to get color like this forcing the patina? every time i look at this thread all the colors are so vibrant and all my patinas are very light or leaning slightly more towards dark blue/brown. or is this more to do with the steel/heat treat and such
That’s what mine look like most of the time too, and the blues fade to brown before long.

Onions and hot protein are normally likely to give you a bluer patina without forcing anything, and I find they tend to be be much more vibrant after a natural stone polish.

Not necessarily forcing the patina, but definitely being particular with what you cut and how you rigorous you clean. My main chef knife at work has a dull muted blue/gray with some random acid etching spots, I clean it immediately after cutting anything that isn't a protein and am a little lazy about cleaning it immediately after anything that is. But blues fade over time, and once the carbon passivates they all eventually dull into that familiar ODC.

The biggest blues you see in this thread are most likely recently polished and fresh from cutting a pile of hot pig or cow.

Not necessarily forcing the patina, but definitely being particular with what you cut and how you rigorous you clean. My main chef knife at work has a dull muted blue/gray with some random acid etching spots, I clean it immediately after cutting anything that isn't a protein and am a little lazy about cleaning it immediately after anything that is. But blues fade over time, and once the carbon passivates they all eventually dull into that familiar ODC.

The biggest blues you see in this thread are most likely recently polished and fresh from cutting a pile of hot pig or cow.
makes sense, i was slightly misinformed into believing that a blue was better than a brown, but i guess there isn't too much of a difference in the end in regards to protection. It's mostly just visual appeal

makes sense, i was slightly misinformed into believing that a blue was better than a brown, but i guess there isn't too much of a difference in the end in regards to protection. It's mostly just visual appeal
Yup, the only protection is passive steel and there are a lot of colors along the way.

I seriously just cut stuff… but hot protein and also pickled stuff gives of nice colours.

If you reset a knife, starts with something like meatloaf or some other hot protein, then you are set. The patina above is almost 8 months if I remember correctly

I seriously just cut stuff… but hot protein and also pickled stuff gives of nice colours.

If you reset a knife, starts with something like meatloaf or some other hot protein, then you are set. The patina above is almost 8 months if I remember correctly
Meatloaf is a serious sleeper in the patina game 😂

Cutting hot meat lasagna gives a nice dark/black color.

Do you let the meat juices sit on the knife for a bit? I’m a home cook, thus am not processing all that much cooked meat in one cook. I had a fair bit of success last night in getting a patina on an white steel, iron clad knife, although mostly on the core steel and not the kasumi polished iron cladding (which was completely covered in meat juice).

I almost always let the meat juices sit on the knife from the time I cut the protein, until the time we are finished eating.

I will admit I am much less fussy with my knives as some of what I read here.

Do you let the meat juices sit on the knife for a bit? I’m a home cook, thus am not processing all that much cooked meat in one cook. I had a fair bit of success last night in getting a patina on an white steel, iron clad knife, although mostly on the core steel and not the kasumi polished iron cladding (which was completely covered in meat juice).
If there is no lacquer left on the blade, even AS will get a decent amount of blue after cutting freshly cooked chicken breast and leaving the knife unwashed for 10-15 minutes.

If there is no lacquer left on the blade, even AS will get a decent amount of blue after cutting freshly cooked chicken breast and leaving the knife unwashed for 10-15 minutes.
Yep no lacquer. I definitely got a striking blue on and around the core steel but not much further up the blade. Probably only let it rest unwashed for two minutes before I ‘chickened out’ and washed it.

Back