My favorite color is BLUE!.............A patina thread.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The patina is starting to develop nicely on my Newham nakiri, but to my surprise, it has developed much slower than I was expecting. This is the first monosteel blade that I have ever owned and compared to my iron clad knives, it seems to be much less reactive. Are monosteel carbon blades typically less reactive than iron clad knives?

DSCF0617.JPG
DSCF0635.JPG

Not really sure if this belongs here, but this is the patina from my Makoto Kurosaki "Ryusei" 240mm gyuto, stainless steel cladding over Super Blue core steel.

Despite the name of this thread (and of the steel), there's no blue going on, nor has there ever been. Instead it's all black, with more of a grey near the heel. It's a really black patina in real life.

Personally I think it looks pretty cool - I find it interesting how there are lines of "no patina" going up and down (from cutting surface to the beginning of the cladding) in certain places, like those areas just decided to not react to anything. No idea why that happened. If anyone can explain why certain areas just didn't react/patina, I'd be interested to know - they're still exposed carbon steel...

This patina is all-natural and comes from using the knife on and off since I bought it in Feb 2019 (5 years ago).

Last edited:
The patina is starting to develop nicely on my Newham nakiri, but to my surprise, it has developed much slower than I was expecting. This is the first monosteel blade that I have ever owned and compared to my iron clad knives, it seems to be much less reactive. Are monosteel carbon blades typically less reactive than iron clad knives?

View attachment 301948View attachment 301949

One of the reasons I love monosteel is how low the reactivity is. Cladding tends to be much more reactive than the core steel in my limited experience.

I've been using my gyuto for about 5 months and this is the patina I have at the moment for this Sheffcut honyaki steel from @MSicardCutlery ! My favorite part is the tiny circle where I place my thumb... I love this little detail!

Back