new razor

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW. That damascus has a real 3D effect to it. Just incredible!

DarkHOeK

I dont know how, but every next one looks better to me then the previous piece.
Just beatiful :)

LOL man Hoss your work never fails to impress. I really like that damascus pattern.

herring bone damascus with solid core

wenge wood one piece handle

Hoss

008.jpg

006.jpg

Nice Devin, what's the core?

1095cv (50100) This steel was developed for cutlery. It is 1095 with 50 points of chrome and 20 points of vanadium and a little higher manganese. The resulting steel has very fine grain.

Thanks everyone.

Hoss

2 questions:

1) Are there more of these in the works? I'd love to see more.

2) When can I buy one of these? Soon please? I'd very much like to upgrade on the 1900's Fox Cutlery I'm using now.

What kind of razor would you like?

Hoss

If you're playing requests, can anyone make suggestions?

How about a carbon steel Damascus 6/8" non-folding half hollow double bevel? Kind of like a Kamisori, but double beveled.

If you're playing requests, can anyone make suggestions?

How about a carbon steel Damascus 6/8" non-folding half hollow double bevel? Kind of like a Kamisori, but double beveled.

I think your description is vague at best . You would need to provide a picture of sorts.

M

Damascus

DamascusHammers.jpg

6/8"
20060206paperruler.gif

half hollow Double bevel
SRP_GrindForm.GIF

Like a Kamisori
86362_1_n.jpg

(which is single beveled)
Single_Grind2.jpg

But double beveled
194px-Double_Grind2.jpg

So you mix it all together and you might come up with something like this:
9d7b3d98545cfa06017ddef5cb3c14e2.image.750x451.jpg

or this:
f19566df5aa050dc59192e59a79ffeeb.image.750x316.jpg

But Devin might come up with something completely different, yes?

That's funny, I recently asked him about doing something like this mainly because I can't seem to keep the hinge from rusting on my other razor.

Part of me wishes I was into straight razors so I could have one of these. The part of me the controls my money is glad I am not.

These all look amazing Hoss!

Hoss

Honestly, I can't get over the first one posted in this thread. It's just too nice. So if we're talking what I would like to own, it would be a carbon feather pattern either 4 or 5/8" folding 1/2 hollow razor with as slightly rounded a point as can be managed. With a handle that's organic feeling and has some texture, bone or wood, in line with the first, second and fourth posted in this thread. Did I just describe the first one you posted?

If we're talking what I would like to see pictures of, something with the razor wire pattern would be interesting, as would seeing your take on something in a more Japanese style.

Or whatever you darn well please. You've done an excellent job on the ones seen so far, I don't see any reason to think that whatever you come up with next won't be excellent as well.

I was looking through the blade profiles I posted above and thought "we don't see too many framebacks being made."

Here is one of mine:

24600d1241960997-rustiques-05100743.jpg

(Sorry about the blurry photo, btw)

I probably should expand on framebacks. Some of them (including the one I posted) have interchangeable blades. The blade is inserted in a groove and held in place with a screw. I think it allows the use of different steels in the frame vs the the blade itself. The steel more suited to the task vs finding steels that "do it all".

This effectively gives you multiple razors. You could rotate the blades and need to get them "touched up" or sharpened less often.

If you could afford a 7 day set, one could leave this set with your barber and he would use your personal razors to shave you. I suspect the frameback was a less expensive way to do that.

I have seen framebacks with Damascus blades, but they are even more uncommon than framebacks in general. Making one would be an opportunity to use complementary Damascus patterns on different blades and the handle.

this thread over a Straight Razor Place has a lot of pictures of framebacks.

http://straightrazorplace.com/razor-clubs/22320-frameback-fanciers.html

I am reminded of the moto over on the Old Tools list-"the support group from hell"!

Don't have a use for an axe on a regular basis....and ulu's are just weird. A hammer I use almost every time I'm in the shop, so a damascus one would be sweet. It's a sickness, we all know that....at least I can admit it!

That's funny, I recently asked him about doing something like this mainly because I can't seem to keep the hinge from rusting on my other razor.

For me, this is probably the most annoying thing about razors with scales. Without scales, though, you have to really watch out for the edge, which is a pain itself. I like how stable and easy to carry a razor with scales can be. In my experience, I basically have to make sure that my hand holding the razor is dry or else water will get into the pivot area.

Back