new razor

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For me, this is probably the most annoying thing about razors with scales. Without scales, though, you have to really watch out for the edge, which is a pain itself. I like how stable and easy to carry a razor with scales can be. In my experience, I basically have to make sure that my hand holding the razor is dry or else water will get into the pivot area.

That's why I blow dry the pin area every time before I put it away and use a silicone treated cotton sleeve for storage. But you razor guys already know what to do.

Man I want a damascus everything. :bladesmith: Damascus knife, damascus hammer, damascus wrench, pliers, vice-grips, heck I want a damascus multi-tool. Bank account says it ain't gonna happen:(

Sean,

sorry to hear that.

Next up I think I'll make a set of moribashi. I was thinking

I would like to make a Kamisori type razor also.

Grat ideas ppl, keep them coming.

Hoss

Sean,

sorry to hear that.

Next up I think I'll make a set of moribashi. I was thinking

I would like to make a Kamisori type razor also.

Grat ideas ppl, keep them coming.

Hoss

Hey you know can't have everything! I like to dream though :D and you Hoss, make stuff I like to dream about reality. Maybe one day I'll get the bank account working in my favor :thumbsup:

Devin,
I remember you mentioned you will make full hollow, have you worked on that?

I did one. It was more like a 3/4 hollow. It turned out good.

Hoss

he said like kamisori but double sided and half hollow,that pretty much the description

A picture is worth a thousand words for those of us who like to follow interesting threads but have no background knowledge about. To you, obviously, the description was very clear.

It was one of the razors that Max tested for me. I'll be getting it back next week, I'll try to take a picture of the grind for you.

Hoss

great thanks.
So what is the conclusion about the best steel for razors?

simple carbon steels with a splash of grain refiner alloy added.

You know this but, 95% is good honing, 5% is steel, heat treat, and geometry. I was hoping that the steel made a bigger difference.

Hoss

simple carbon steels with a splash of grain refiner alloy added.

You know this but, 95% is good honing, 5% is steel, heat treat, and geometry. I was hoping that the steel made a bigger difference.

Hoss
yes but I think still you need to have finer carbides for better results?

A picture is worth a thousand words for those of us who like to follow interesting threads but have no background knowledge about. To you, obviously, the description was very clear.

So, although there were additions for entertainment value in my response, did it help?

My description did have a bit of "straight razor speak". A few years ago I wouldn't have known that a kamisori was a Japanese straight razor, let alone that they are single beveled.

So, although there were additions for entertainment value in my response, did it help?

My description did have a bit of "straight razor speak". A few years ago I wouldn't have known that a kamisori was a Japanese straight razor, let alone that they are single beveled.

Actually, pics you provided were very helpful. I had a vague idea what kamisori razor was, but now I know.

M

Lovely looking blades Devin, I can tell I'm going to get in trouble around here lol :p

Have you considered putting more of a smile on any of your razors?

I think some of those razors would look great in Max (or Max style) scales. I can envision them in black, white, or jade ghost.

Here is one of his Jade Ghost:

max_custom_f_01.jpg

Picture one of Hoss's razors in those scales.

These are the 5 razors I did for testing steels.
Steels used were 1086v, L-3, 12C27, O-1, 1095CV.

Handles are; lace wood, wenge, ebony, blood wood, and wenge.

All have mokume washers.

These are available for sale. PM me for details.

The single photo is the one in the middle that got washed out in the photo.

Hoss

002.jpg

These make me want to buy a razor and start using straight razors, especially the second from the left. I love the middle one as well.

I love the middle one. Too bad I don't grow enough facial hair to justify buying one and I would be too scared to use it on my head.

Have the boys at Badger and Blade seen these? They are absolutely stunning.

I like the blade on the lacewood :) And the blae on Ebony has enough darkness to be really attractive :) Looking good thats for sure.

Thanks DC.

Good to have you back! Glad you're feeling better with the blood pressure stuff.

Glad you like the razors.

Hoss

Any chance we could get a closeup of the one furthest to the left? I'm curious about the tip on it.

Sure. Give me a day or so and I'll get a picture of it up.

Hoss

Am I right that the lacewood is slightly rounded, or are my eyes playing tricks?

Back