New Takedas coming

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,
I simply wouldn't make mention of anything going on over at cktg for multiple reasons, the least of which is that i don't hang out over there so wouldn't know anything that's happening anyways.
The vendor mentioned is Knifewear.
And i clean my knives with BKF all the time.

Kevin from knifewear is a great guy to deal with. Knows his stuff.

Wow I never would have thought Knifewear would carry this line. Good for them.

Hey guys,
I simply wouldn't make mention of anything going on over at cktg for multiple reasons, the least of which is that i don't hang out over there so wouldn't know anything that's happening anyways.
The vendor mentioned is Knifewear.
And i clean my knives with BKF all the time.

YEA! I love Knifeware, have several knives from them:bliss: YEA! I love BKF, but I'm betting that with regular use it would thin out any KU finish out there:dontknow:

Kevin from knifewear just tweeted about the stainless takedas. must be true.

Never dealt with Kevin, but I've used a few knives that came from him. His products are great, and he seems to have a very good following. I think I'd like the guy.

As for Takedas, I've now had many in my hands, and once you get past the goopy epoxy, they're pretty special knives. Definitely not for everyone, but still very very nice. I think a stainless clad option might fill the hole that will be left by Hiromoto in the future.

I've owned one. There were several things I liked and disliked. The kicker was when I was testing the blade for flexibility it stayed flexed. I mean the three inches or so between my thumb and index finger near the tip stayed at a 20 degree angle.

I promptly sold it. That was probably 4 years ago. Don't really know if it was a lemon but I've been biting my lip ever since.

The ones i sharpened i actually liked a lot, Nice grind and steel :)

I've owned one. There were several things I liked and disliked. The kicker was when I was testing the blade for flexibility it stayed flexed. I mean the three inches or so between my thumb and index finger near the tip stayed at a 20 degree angle.

I promptly sold it. That was probably 4 years ago. Don't really know if it was a lemon but I've been biting my lip ever since.

I've noticed that easy to bend and stay bent thing on thin Takedas knives too. I've straightened mine out several times. Same for some of the Carters I own. Seems to just be something you can expect from certain clad steel blades.

I've always liked Takeda's steel, it's the profile height I'm not a fan of. I know it's great for some guys but it's just not for me. His other profile I was fine with. I never realized how thin those knives were until I handled one and was told some were ground even thinner. I can see where flexing or remaining flexed would be a problem at that point. Still, I plan to own one someday and rehandle it.

Well guys new takedas are at knifewear, just had an email come in with pics, cannot upload them, keep getting a exclamation mark???? anyone know why? Any way $380 240mm $420 270mm gyuto.

Here's a pic of the stainless takeda's

2s8hjja.jpg

Hmm. I was imagining shiny stainless cladding. I'm glad to see that isn't the case :)

I like'em. But I also remember when his 240 gyuto was $180... Times certainly have changed.

Stefan

They don't seem to have the AS stamp in them. I hope his other ones are still being made.

The appearance is not as 'badass' as the iron kurouchi ones. I don't see the same random black with mottled nashiji patches that make the older version look so unique. But as long as they perform the same..... that is not an insignificant price increase.

How do you guys see the prices on these ones? :)

It's been a while since I bought a Takeda gyuto... were the profiles always that curved? Was there always that much belly starting that far back? I must have lucked out with mine.

And yes, prices on Takeda's knives have changed a bit over the years :)

How do you guys see the prices on these ones? :)

It's been a while since I bought a Takeda gyuto... were the profiles always that curved? Was there always that much belly starting that far back? I must have lucked out with mine.

And yes, prices on Takeda's knives have changed a bit over the years :)

No, the older/first ones bought by the pioneers (i.e. direct from Japan) were very unique, with very flat profiles - almost like a giant santoku.

takeda2.jpg

They changed when people started asking for a more conventional shape I reckon, but retained their characteristic height (obviously they make the narrow "Sasanoha" as well now). Now flatter profile is all the rage, so is the cyclical nature of the forums.

That's the kind of profile that mine has. I got mine second-hand but got it a few years ago now - it must be quite an older one then.

Initially Takedas gyutos were very flat and then us Americans started requesting "more belly" when ordering directly from him so he got the message and started making them with a lot more belly which turned out to be too much, then he seemed to made a slow transition back to middle ground but never really lost the "more belly" feature we demanded. It's a shame because what was being looked for was a slight tweak off of the flat profile so that there was just a little more belly, not so dead ass flat but he went too far.

Yup, he went too far. When my passaround is done, I'm going to using elbow-grease for some hours in reprofiling my Takeda 240 to something I prefer. I'll probably wear down my Atoma 140.

Shosui has been very accomodating with my requests. I requested an extra-long Funayuki, and he gave me one that was 180mm without charging extra. I asked for an extra long/wide nakiri, and he again accomodated my request without charging extra.

Here is Lee (Louisianacook)'s Takeda, it was maybe the first we ever laid our eyes upon....

DSCN1525.jpg

Back