New Takedas coming

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any info on the ID of the stainless core?

If your still talking about the Takeda's, the core is still AS, it's the cladding that's now stainless.

A bit confused, these are different from the Takedas on the knifewear site right now?

A bit confused, these are different from the Takedas on the knifewear site right now?

Last I checked the new Stainless clad were not up on the Knifewear site. You have to email them for availability/pricing.

Does anyone know what the 'N' stamp on the blade (in place of the AS stamp on the prior blades) would stand for?

Those Yanagibas are really wide! It would be a great do-it-all gyuto-suji fusion.

Some news that I heard yesterday: the stainless-clad knives are not an option, they are going to be the only thing Takeda will be making from now on. The reason has more to do with rising costs on his end than anything else, and it is actually cheaper for him to make the new knives with stainless cladding than with his original cladding.

So... if you like the original cladding, get 'em while they're still available. If you like the stainless cladding, no worries, that's all he's gonna make from now on so no worries about supply balancing or anything like that :)

Hmm so it's cheaper for him to make but it's sold at a higher price (at least on that one site).

From what I understand, he'd have to raise his prices a fair bit if he didn't switch over to stainless-clad. The pricing difference we may see from particular retailers is due to what they expect to be higher demand for the stainless versus the original. Shosui Takeda himself has not changed his pricing though.

I'm just going by what I've heard from a good source, so this isn't first-hand knowledge.

Some news that I heard yesterday: the stainless-clad knives are not an option, they are going to be the only thing Takeda will be making from now on. The reason has more to do with rising costs on his end than anything else, and it is actually cheaper for him to make the new knives with stainless cladding than with his original cladding.

So... if you like the original cladding, get 'em while they're still available. If you like the stainless cladding, no worries, that's all he's gonna make from now on so no worries about supply balancing or anything like that :)

What was his original cladding in?

kurouchi, a burnt finish over iron or very mild steel (don't know which)

shame this isn't an option after seeing how good it was from bkdc.. you still doin the vinegar test?? Time to showcase how inferior plian ole Fe is.. or not!! haha :)

I'll post another photo later. I went through a bunch of tomatos with the nakiri, and the cladding still looks just fine whereas the AS core has taken on the expected brownish patina. It's really weird how different 'iron' steels behave with regard to oxidation.

View attachment 17967

patina1.jpg

Long round of tomatoes, Korean kimchi. Where's the oxidation on the cladding??

Here's my Fujiwara Teruyasu after 5 minutes in kimchi juice.

patina2.jpg

No, the older/first ones bought by the pioneers (i.e. direct from Japan) were very unique, with very flat profiles - almost like a giant santoku.

takeda2.jpg

They changed when people started asking for a more conventional shape I reckon, but retained their characteristic height (obviously they make the narrow "Sasanoha" as well now). Now flatter profile is all the rage, so is the cyclical nature of the forums.

Nice Takeda you have Tim.That is more traditional flatter edge profile slight rise at tip,drop nose.Why anyone would want to change that escapes me.

Nice Takeda you have Tim.That is more traditional flatter edge profile slight rise at tip,drop nose.Why anyone would want to change that escapes me.

It's not mine, sadly. I did have one but it had more belly than this. Nice knife, beautiful hammered taper.

Hard to believe that the unique flat profile was a source of derision, and got him making knives with more belly.

Yeh flatter profile is the rage for some,but it is not new by any means the japanese have been doing it a long time back to tobbaco cutting blades centuries ago.

My first Masa that bought in 1984 was way diff. than the Masamoto's sold today.Super thin flatter drop nose.I'm a cheap bastard in Hawaii bought carbons at the swap meet & cleaned them up. Got a rusty drop nose carbon dried out D handle between 240 & 270 for about 15.00 in the late 80's,Did massive,massive amounts of banquet prep. wt that antique japan blade.It had kanji carved on the blade,it got thinner & worn down over the years.One of my favorite all time knives.

You can still find old japan gyutos & single bevels at the swap meet here.For years I was certain that carbon steel rules & that stainless was crap coming from forschners to these manificent old Japan carbons.I was not alone Tin Fu who I learned cleaver skills from did not own a single stainless knife.Being a good Pake he would hunt down cheap carbons at the swap meet too.

Later the most money I had spent(with the exception of a Aritsugu Yanagi)I bought a Takagi honyaki from Japan woodworker,cus it had the shape I loved & wanted a Honyaki blade.When I got it was surprized that it was a beasty gyuto wt. weight behind it.Thick blade with a assem. edge.Great edge holding & terrific lobster splitter.Later I put a stepan handle on it,I think Dave mounted it.

Later I read on the web somewhere someone thinned the crap out of his blade.I could not beleave it to take a thicker honyaki blade & ruin it.To me it was stupid if you want a thin guyto buy one.The slag finish was durable over time I lost tiny bit of it.

I have deff. softened about stainless just in last couple years have a couple quality stainless blades.Hope have not bored you guys I'm on a Forum roll tonight:)

Does anyone know what the 'N' stamp on the blade (in place of the AS stamp on the prior blades) would stand for?
According to an email from Mr. Takeda, it means "new".

Which Gengetsu did you order?You will have to give us an update when you start using it.:)

does anybody know about takedas handles? some colour seems to come off when i disinfect it...

I wonder if he is forging his own stainless san mai or buying it in?. Love the Takeda I have had time with, the forged hollows on both sides and double bevel are quite something. To forge a knife in hollow geometry and have something close to an even bevel is quite something, especially when your turning them out.....
@Salty, they will flex and stay flexed, they are a hot dog weld construction, carbon core into soft iron, I think iron not mild steel. Forged entirely to taper and profile the core is quite thin and there is no core on the spine. I can see how it would be off putting but unless you actually bend it I never really noticed when used as a precision tool..... and its easy to straighten.... a fact that no doubt comes in handy correcting that thin forged hollow geometry if it warps on ht, would not be practical in a forged mono steel hard to forge and correct.

I guess they are trending right now... A Gengetsu in SS is due at my door tomorrow.

Jon must have done some kind of rain dance.

FYI.. on this link.. there is a link to his dealers in USA too... may save you shipping costs..

rgds
d
I found he doesnt even ask for shipping costs. I got my Honesuki EMS shipping included 20 bucks cheaper than the cheapest US vendor shipping excluded. For us Europeans its easier to order straight from Shosui, as EMS from Japan is about 5 working days quicker to get to us compared to USPS priority.

Back