Stefan's News from the shop

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$700.00 for buffalo horn:shocked:
is that for just rolls or tips .
like to see a picture of thatcool:

So, I stayed in the office 2h late today, going through my order list, double checking the sizes of handles I need to make, planning the sizes for pieces I need to cut, arranging a sequence so that it would be most efficient, and updating all the info I had missing in my work list. Then I went straight to the shop from work. Guess what I left in my office? Yep, the list... :slaphead:

Worked on some handles that I had started before. Then I knew it was time to go home when I got attacked and almost killed by a black palm handle. I had it on the polishing belt, the belt broke, ripped the piece out of my hand and torpedoed it at about the speed of light right under my nose into the wall. Poor handle didn't have a chance, broke right in the middle... See, woodworkers live dangerously :eek:vg: Makes me feel smart that I am wearing a respirator and eye protection. :thumbsup:

I'll go back to the fighting zone tomorrow, wish me luck!

Stefan

I had lot's of good intentions, and I have a few handles finished plus 2 dozen that are almost there, but these days I don't get to the shop much - final week of the semester and lots of papers to grade... Maybe I'll get a few pics of the finished ones up in a few days. Overall, I am behind as usual but not as ridiculously far as I was last year. Having a shop really makes a huge difference.

Stefan

Another great adhesive, if you want to get to work quick, is Loctite 330 Depend. it is a 2 part kit, the adhesive, and activator. You don't even need to wipe grease of the surfaces and this stuff sticks! I swear, it will stick crap to a flannel blanket!

Worked on some handles that I had started before. Then I knew it was time to go home when I got attacked and almost killed by a black palm handle. I had it on the polishing belt, the belt broke, ripped the piece out of my hand and torpedoed it at about the speed of light right under my nose into the wall. Poor handle didn't have a chance, broke right in the middle... See, woodworkers live dangerously :eek:vg: Makes me feel smart that I am wearing a respirator and eye protection. :thumbsup:

I'll go back to the fighting zone tomorrow, wish me luck!

Stefan
Wait...sorry about your near death experiance...they make belts for polishing? All this time I have been trying by hand...I really need to get to the hardware store more often!

Did you win those? :eek2:

I think then I would really have myself committed or increase my medication dosage ;) No, that's just crazy. Craig has really great stuff, but occasionally, the prices make no sense at all. No idea why this cedar piece went that high, I have a few dozen pieces that are better-looking. Or maybe I am just too cheap...

Stefan

Cool, I just discovered multi-quote :)

Another great adhesive, if you want to get to work quick, is Loctite 330 Depend. it is a 2 part kit, the adhesive, and activator. You don't even need to wipe grease of the surfaces and this stuff sticks! I swear, it will stick crap to a flannel blanket!

Thanks Pierre. That sounds like it is strong and fast-acting? I just wanted to get some 5min Devcon for quick jobs, but it this is fast, I'll be happy to try it out. I used Acraglass on my current batch and so far it looks great and holds up really well.

+1
Section 179, baby

I applied for an extension, still have to figure some things out. Turbotax only taks me so far, I think there are other options. Never heard of section 179, have to look into this, thanks!

Wait...sorry about your near death experiance...they make belts for polishing? All this time I have been trying by hand...I really need to get to the hardware store more often!

Polishing is a bit much, I have a few belts in 600grit and 800 grit, even a few in 1200 grit. Problem is, they either clog up within seconds or they heat up the pieces in seconds, so I don't use them very often (the 1200 not at all). 600 grits works if you have a very light touch and clean the belt obsessively.

Stefan

What are you doing up? Go sleep! :wink:

Good point, I hadn't even thought about that. Quite a range in materials and sizes. Btw, the top left one will go out to you tomorrow (for Tim), togehter with the micro drills and some wood (mac nut, mango, ironwood).

Stefan

mmmmmm... :drool: I'm getting closer I can feel it.. :excited:

Dang! So many beautiful handles, but that bright red/pink one in the 2nd photo is the attention grabber.

OOOoohhhh man. I like top row 4th from left, and top row 3rd from the right. Love the spalted wood...

The pink one is bakelite, came out really nice. Sean, you are so predictable ;) I thought about you the other day when I was looking at a beautiful piece of spalted maple burl.

Stefan

P.S. I probably should mention that two of them are available:

- top row the very right, blackwood, blask ash spacer and dyed teal box elder or maple ferrule (I think maple...), best for something around 200mm in length

- top row, 4th from the right, black ash burl and black palm ferrule for a knife around 180mm

Dang! So many beautiful handles, but that bright red/pink one in the 2nd photo is the attention grabber.

that red/pink bakelite one is mine! woohoo! actually, it probably has a bit more of a darker red background to it in normal light - more like a ruby. the streaks are white - but it does transition through pink to get to white - can't wait to see it when it gets here. also, those spacers have a little bit of a blue-ish tint to them.

Beautiful!! I like the one on the far right, top row, with the green ferule, and I think maple spacer. What is the handle material?

Beautiful!! I like the one on the far right, top row, with the green ferule, and I think maple spacer. What is the handle material?

Thanks Mike, the handle is just good old African blackwood. The spacer is black ash burl. The ferrule is either maple burl or box elder burl. I had shipped them both for dying at the same time and now I have a hard time telling them apart in such small pieces. :slaphead:
I sent most of the handles out, didn't want to delay it further for taking better pictures, but IMHO they all look better in real life than on these snap shots, including the bakelite one...

Stefan

that red/pink bakelite one is mine! woohoo! actually, it probably has a bit more of a darker red background to it in normal light - more like a ruby. the streaks are white - but it does transition through pink to get to white - can't wait to see it when it gets here. also, those spacers have a little bit of a blue-ish tint to them.

Lucky bastard. That one looks awesome. Take some more pictures when you get it. Lots of good work Stefan!

Here's a quick pic I snapped. In my opinion, this handle is ridiculous (in a good way). I think the flash might be emphasizing the swirls a little too much - it's not that all those swirls aren't there, but some of them are a little more under-the-surface - there's some 3D stuff goin on. On the other hand, the flash did pick up the mokume on the spacers and the awesome horn that stefan picked out for me (he did a better job than i could have ever imagined). Stefan deserves some major props - he's a real master at this kind of thing ... did I mention that I have a piece of blue bakelite, too?

dscn2191.jpg

**** you

Those are some seriously awesome materials and in usual stefan fashion, flawless execution. Where did you get the bakelite?

this red one i happened to get from exoticblanks.com - and i happened to get one blue from them, too. nowadays i rarely ever see them for sale there anymore - they're always 'sold out'. agh.
BUT - i think stefan scored some bakelite as well (but probably not from the same source). i know he has some blue (which will probably be more manly than the above) - and he might have some red (my red from exoticblanks was a really dark ruby red - i don't know if stefan's red, if he has some, is as dark or if it's more fire-engine red)
the mokume (not that you asked) is from M3 - it's 50% cobaltium and 50% galactic bronze/gunsmoke - but i asked them to NOT put in the "sparkles".
the horn is predominantly a dark gray color ... from stefan ... who apparently has the most extensive collection of buffalo horn there is to be had ... anywhere ...

Back