NNew Line of Knives In Works

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a prototype 175mm chef with a Western handle. I think for now I will make the first and possibly second batch exclusively with Western handles. I haven't decided as to what to make, but 180-225mm gyutos are considered, as well as 250-275mm sujis.

Marko, I understand you are catering these knives to home cooks as well as pro's, however I feel most pros would want gyutos in the 240+ range.
Personally if It were possible I would want your knives entirely for my core working kit and hopefully I can work towards that :) A 250-270 gyuto a 150-180 petty and a 270-300 sujihiki. Those 3 knives cover almost everything for me at work.

Your knives really are a perfect working knife. Pure function and they look great without being over the top.
That prototype looks great by the way.
Watching this thread like a hawk :)

Agree with Geo in that the only size mentioned so far by you (Marko) that i would 100% buy is the 225mm in AEB-L Western but any shorter and ill have to pass.....

I was thinking of starting with 225mm line knife. I am often being asked for smaller knives, so that's where 180mm would come into play. As for larger knives, it's just a matter of time. I personally like using large knives and like making them, so no worries 240+ gyutos and 275+ sujis are coming.

Marko

I appreciate the temporary love for smaller knives.

Is there a sign up for these (gyuto) or eta on them? Interested but depends on timing and price....

The pricing for this line will be at $1.50/mm and I will offer a promotional price for leather sayas at $.30/mm for first 20 knives. I am finishing a saya for the prototype, so pics will be posted shortly.

Now, I want to make it very clear, that these are not mid-tech, mid-line, or mid-antyhing knives. No part of the process is subcontracted to the outside. These are ready-made knives made by me, just with simpler geometry (simpler compared to my S and asymmetric grind) and with less expensive handle materials. All work is done in-house. Knives will be ground thin at the edge and will have a hand-finish.

The only help I get in making these knives is wood prep work, milling and fitting knife guard and the handle blocks, drilling tang hole and making leather sayas.

Thanks,

Marko

When you say line knife, are we talking like super short heel height line knife? As in something <40mm or line knife as in just a small-ish gyuto? Thanks

When you say line knife, are we talking like super short heel height line knife? As in something <40mm or line knife as in just a small-ish gyuto? Thanks

Line knife length on the edge is 225-230mm. Height is proportional to the length. I personally prefer taller gyutos with a workhorse profile (can do tip, prep and general cutting work).

M

Looking to see this beauty ready and with wa shoes

Marko that sounds perfect, i greatly prefer taller as well!

Also workhorse profile is such a nice utilitarian design/grind

I struggled to complete the survey on your site due to the captcha. Im using the newest Chrome.

Anyhow, at 1.50/mm a 240 gyuto done by you would be an automatic purchase for me.

Folks if you want to get on a mailing list when these knives will be available, please fill out the form, or if having some technical issues, please email your contact info and I will add you manually. Here is the link to the form:

http://www.tsourkanknives.com/index.php/surveys/stock-knives-inquiry

The knives will be sold through the web site only, on first-come-first-served basis. Sorry, no reservations. The only option that is available with these knives is a custom fitted saya, with following prices: .$35 - softwood, .$50 hardwood, $1/mm exotic wood. $.35/mm for leather.

The knives are priced at $1.50/mm (typically, knives are 5mm longer over the stated length, though I don't charge for that) + $15 flat rate shipping.

The knives geometry-wise are benchmarked to Carters, and the profiles are modified Shigefusa (less of a belly).

Hardness is around 62.5RC for AEB-L and 52100 and about 63Rc for A2.

Convex geometry with edge thickness around .14mm. I will do a run of workhorses (thicker convex geometry) down the road as well.

Right now I am using cocobolo and ziricote for the handle material, but will be adding other woods soon. Might also try to use more expensive woods if the added cost is acceptable to the buyers.

I will primarily make knives with D and Western handles, but octagonal are always an option (an easier option for me, may I add).

I have 6 x 225mm line-knife gyutos in works and 3 x 180mm nakiris. Half of the gyutos are Western, half are wa. Nakiris are all wa. All are in AEB-L steel. After these knives, there will be 4 x 260mm gyutos, half with Western handles, half with D.

Going forward, folks on the mailing list will be notified 12 hours before I post the upcoming sale info in my sub forum.

The Professional/Entry Level Line of knives will come with the same life-time warranty as my custom knives, and with 7 days returns for a full refund.

These are fully made in-house knives - heat treated, ground, polished by me. The only difference between my custom and ready-made is geometry, and a lower grit hand-finish (400 grit).

Hey Folks,

I have got contact information from several of you and will add you to the mailing list. Sorry, I am not sure why the form doesn't work. Perhaps it needs an update. I will look into it.

I have also got several inquiries if premium woods will be used on this line. In principle, I don't see why not. I have mentioned that I teamed up with a friend who is passionate about wood and I have a great collection of handle wood on hand for my customers. However, since this was to be one of the most affordable line, I will do the bulk of knives with budged woods, like cocobolo and only some with premium. The latter would be priced to market and the cost will be added to $1.5/mm for the blade. I will gauge the response and will make adjustments (upward or downward) accordingly.

The wa handles will feature the classic Japanese look with contrasting ferrule, metal spacer and the wooden handle. The western handle will have a bras tip.

Thanks,

Marko

Sounds great...I have to hold back though. :(

Here is an example of the ready made pro/entry line. $338 + shipping.

225mm Western gyuto in 52100. 53mm tall at the heel. 230mm on the edge. Ziricote handle.

Thanks,

Marko

DSC_1192.JPG

Amazing work as usual Marko. Thanks for doing these. You rock!

Correction! The knife in the picture above is in AEB-L, not 52100.

Thanks,

Marko

Here are examples of the Pro/Entry Level knives that will be periodically available.

DSC_1216.JPG

DSC_1217.JPG

DSC_1213.JPG

DSC_1214.JPG

DSC_1215.JPG

DSC_1211.JPG

DSC_1212.JPG

I will be adding a "workhorse" geometry akin to Kato knives for some of my Entry Level/Pro Line blades. These knives would be geared at folks who do a lot of prep work and like good weight to their blades and good food separation. I will use AEB-L steel.

Parers are in plans.

Thanks,

Marko

Latest posts

Back