ODC (Old Dirty Carbon)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That cleaver rocks!!

That Forgecraft looks to be in good shape - maybe try a rehandle on it.

I think that Forgecraft has sat in a drawer for 60 years. It doesn't appear to have ever been sharpened.

Forgies have an interesting grind being somewhat hollow in between the spine and the cutting edge.

Yeah. I was reading somewhere (probably here) that they used a very large diameter wheel to grind them, giving them that subtle hollow grind.

image.jpg

The Forgecraft grind is flat up top, somewhat concave/hollow about a cm from the edge, and even into the edge, as far as I can tell. It's a big part of why they are such proficient cutters. Combine that with a really great profile and you have a really solid knife.

That one is a 4*elephant at 9 3/4". It has a sick taper and the tip is paper thin. The first one I used that tapers to nothing like that. The previous one is labeled bazaar New York made in France and its 9" and not as wide. I'm currently using both of these on the line and they are great.

I made a little progress on my Village Blacksmith cleaver. This thing started off as a solid ball of rust, with the spine severely mushroomed from hammering.
I had to accept that I wasn't going to get rid of every single pit, nor get it perfectly flat, as I wouldn't have a cleaver left. This is the result of about 3 hours with a 4" stationary belt sander, 5" angle grinder with flap disks, bastard files and sanding blocks. I finally have 95% of the waviness out of the edge. I just need to figger out what my kid did with my 180 grit Norton stone.
DSCF0554_zps312a60bd.jpg

DSCF0553_zpsc9a424be.jpg

Lookin' good man!
Nice that there's still some maker's mark/stamp on it as well.
What does it say?
Solid Steel Orgou???

It's a Village Blacksmith? Nice! They're my most requested company, next to Forgecraft. You're in for a treat.

Dexter 45A12H reporting for duty. This knife is even lighter than the Ontario.

dexter4_zpse9a0ea64.jpg

dexter2_zpsa41fd182.jpg

Think I felt it move, lol. That looks awesome. What the handle?

Also, still my favorite thread ever!

LOL - that was funny. Black ash burl ferrule and box elder burl handle. This thing took a beautiful edge and almost made for a trip to the stitchery while I was wiping it down.

Wow - time to move this thread to the front -

14" meat fork of unknown origin - it was in rough shape but all better now!

GEDC0674_zps5ac4e15d.jpg

GEDC0679_zps63bc3f47.jpg

And a NOS Regent Sheffield 10" chef - amazing lightness @ 6.8oz and the blade took an awesome patina.

GEDC0683_zps951d216e.jpg

GEDC0686_zpsedd242c1.jpg

Is it my imagination, or are your handles getting nicer and nicer?
Wow - time to move this thread to the front -

14" meat fork of unknown origin - it was in rough shape but all better now!

GEDC0674_zps5ac4e15d.jpg

GEDC0679_zps63bc3f47.jpg

And a NOS Regent Sheffield 10" chef - amazing lightness @ 6.8oz and the blade took an awesome patina.

GEDC0683_zps951d216e.jpg

GEDC0686_zpsedd242c1.jpg

I love that fork. Handle looks great!! That Regent looks great too. I really like the single mosaic pin

I'm pushing my own envelope - I've been making my own mosaic pins and actually pinning my handles to the tangs on these western styles. This was the first "coke bottle" shape I've done - what a PITA :lol2:

A co-worker brought a set of Sabs in for me to clean up for him. They belong to his mom, and he wanted me to clean em up for her for Mother's Day. Figured I'd post a before pic in the ODC thread. :D

uXT2UpA.jpg

Nice set! They seem in pretty good shape too

Yeah, they are in pretty decent shape. There was a fairly deep spot of rust near the tip of the chef knife, and the paring knife pictured at the top looks like it was run through the dishwasher about a million times, but other than that they're great. :)
Very hard to give them back to him, lol!
Will post some after-cleanup shots later today.

Some weird shadows goin on, hard to see the finish on em. Wish I had gotten some better pics, but he seemed pressed for time. So I just snapped a few quick ones as he was leaving, and this was the best one, lol.

M24G2Ta.jpg

They look better in person, I think my arm cast an odd shadow over the bottom ones. :D

They turned out great. I bet it was hard to give back, lol. Did you at least take one out for a good time on the board?

Some weird shadows goin on, hard to see the finish on em. Wish I had gotten some better pics, but he seemed pressed for time. So I just snapped a few quick ones as he was leaving, and this was the best one, lol.

M24G2Ta.jpg

They look better in person, I think my arm cast an odd shadow over the bottom ones. :D

How did you go about cleaning these?

Back