ODC (Old Dirty Carbon)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a couple of new projects on the way - Ontario 14" blade Lamb splitter/butcher's knife - new

butcher1_zps1b359168.jpg

XL Goodell chef - great used condition

goodell1_zpsdbd9a2ab.jpg

Goodell is one of my favorite profiles on an American vintage knife and they cut like hell.

Posted this in the new buy forum - but had to share - Another former Son knife. I gave it a super clean, got the handle and pins cleaned up, took it to the Gesshin 4k stone, got a stupid sharp edge, and have been enjoying cutting all sorts of things. This knife LOVED some USDA Prime Ribeye. Got a monster steak, grilled for first time this year on charcoal, and after a good 10 min rest, carved and indulged. The patina is gorgeous!
Next to Del Parer:
WpI2VlJl.jpg

Next to Zakuri 270 Suji (pre-cleaning and cutting):
MDFq8xel.jpg

Now for the finger guard... a trip to Home Depot is in order.

Here it is all fixed up. The right side is convex and the left is concave so I put a 70/30 edge on it. I'm taking for a test drive tonight.

goodell6_zps7d1776e3.jpg

goodell3_zps61afe780.jpg

I even made a saya for it ala 5150

5150saya_zps9ac08d61.jpg

Salty, I've loved those Herter's for years! Where's you get it and how is it???

I posted these in the New Buy thread, and someone suggested I post them here, too. Besides these, I have a PILE of ODC. Mostly yard sale finds.
I need to invest in some good polishing and sharpening gear now.

I bought this 10" Dexter for $1. It was pretty rusty, and the work I did on it was pretty quick and dirty. Paid someone to sharpen it on the EdgePro, and it's wicked sharp, and lots of fun to cut stuff up with.

DSCF0424_zps87a1b469.jpg

DSCF0423_zpsfd33b2a3.jpg

I can't find a maker's logo on this 12 incher, but it looks like a nice piece of steel. The handle is pretty blocky and uncomfortable, so that's gonna have to change. I'm also gonna take my time an polish this one up nice.

DSCF0428_zps425c08d9.jpg

DSCF0427_zps04b43b95.jpg

Not sure what I'm going to do with these yet. They'll be petty knives by the time I get them straightened out.
DSCF0426_zps86893b1e.jpg

That 12 in one is probably the best in the bunch and once you sharpen her up she will cut circles around the other guys 1960's vintage American carbon. It's a nice knife.

I actually have a second one of those, maybe a tad shorter. It needs to be re-handled in the worst way.

That 12"'er has a nice profile. Good luck with your project I'm looking forward to seeing it finished.

Here's the other one I was talking about. It's a 10".
DSCF0437_zpse158fbf2.jpg

Along side a cleaver I've been working on. That poor cleaver was in really sad shape. The spine was mushroomed from hammering, and it was pretty rusty, handle was broken.

DSCF0438_zps1be2033f.jpg

DSCF0440_zps368c5987.jpg

Salty, I've loved those Herter's for years! Where's you get it and how is it???

Antique shop. The only reason I go antiqueing with the wife. I got the Dexter-Russels the same way.

I do the same thing but haven't had much luck finding anything of real interest. I suppose its a matter of time and patience :(

That 10" one doesn't look American it could be the lighting., It looks alot like the Henckels model 225 another one of my favorites. especially with the darkwood.

That 10" one doesn't look American it could be the lighting., It looks alot like the Henckels model 225 another one of my favorites. especially with the darkwood.

I hope some day to find the time to fix it up and get a proper handle on it. Should be a sweet knife.

That's nice Turbo. I down have any Foster Bros knives, but have a big ass 14" steel. Would love to come across a piece like that

When I bought it it was never used. Didn't even have an edge from the factory. It was a little rough from the storage but never sharpened or abused. I love it.

I just bought this at a junk shop for $2. Looks kinda home-made, but I think it's good steel.
It does need a little refinement.

DSCF0545_zpsab3dd609.jpg

Looks like they tried to drill it and gave up.

DSCF0546_zps06689ccc.jpg

Here's an old Forgecraft that I've never done anything with so far.

DSCF0441_zps1d6dabf0.jpg

Holy crap!
We need some more pics of that cleaver, esp a spine shot.
That thang is burly/funky/gnarly.

It's hard to get a good spine shot, my stupid auto-focus camera keeps wanting to focus on the floor (that I need to sweep:O)
It's about 3/32" thick, but it's pretty stout. It looks like it's made of bandsaw blade, which would make my day. L6, woohoo!
DSCF0547_zps686e5a59.jpg

DSCF0548_zps47de46d2.jpg

See if you can prop it up on something like some wine corks so we can see the spine and tang.
Or just hold it close to a table.

Back