ODC (Old Dirty Carbon)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a great looking set! Keep em' coming! That's what this thread is all about :)

Here's an old 12" Ontario I salvaged. Didn't turn out too bad.

GEDC0634.jpg

GEDC0635.jpg

Here's a new project - a Dexter Scimitar. I have the tang and machi cut and have ground out the coil area. The spine and choil are rounded and the blade has been cleaned up. I'm meditating on ideas for the handle.

scimitar2.jpg

^thats a beauty. Handle is a little "flashy" for me, but the blade looks great. Any before pics

Here is before - it wasn't in as bad a condition as my Lamson Goodnow was, but it wanted to be thinned and I made a good amount of sludge in the process. I stoned two angles on it and the cutting edge is @ 3mm. Tell you what - it's a big honkin' knife. The handle is black ash and box elder burls.

ontario121.jpg

That didn't look that bad to start off, hell, I have worse ones that get used on a regular basis. You did a great job. Can't wait to see the dexter all finished up

Looks awesome, Mike! I really like the handle.

It's funny how these old carbon knives seem to so naturally become wa handled blades.

Thanks Lefty - I had put a mustard patina on that Ontario, but didn't like the smell so I cleaned it off then polished the blade. The etch I put on the Lamson was much better with dilute etching solution and did not smell afterwards. Must be the organic thing.

For the Dexter I made a Wa-Yo hybrid handle from rosewood and curly maple. I'll get a couple pics up end of the week - I'll will be out of whack for a couple of days.

This Ontario is such an imposing blade I felt it looked even bigger with a shine :cool2:

Here is my new project. Literally found it in the woods hiking today. This is what it looks like after I knocked off th scales, and took some 220 to it. And a pic of it next to my Tojiro 210mm for size comparison. This boys gonna take a lot of work. As the tip is all but pitted out, and the whole edge needs reprofiled. But should be fun. Will be my first ODC wa handle conversion too

gNij8.jpg

F3eiI.jpg

zcNX3.jpg

Oh, and here is what the "original" handle looked like. Held on with bolts. BTW, not makers mark to be found.

na0LL.jpg

Wait ! you found a knife in the woods .
Were is this magical place .

Here's that Dexter Scimitar. I cut a tang, machi, reworked the choil and drilled some extra holes for gluing. Handle is dry fit then epoxied on. After a trip to the stones it's very sharp.

GEDC0643.jpg

GEDC0644.jpg

Thanks for the props - it's a great knife now. Can't wait to make a saya for it - that's going to be fun. LOL

Last one up is an old, old Deba - a short little thing, but so abused over the years. After that I need to get back to guitar work - tax refund season is comming . . . .

That handle is rosewood and tight curly maple. Here is the last one - a 30 - 40 yr. old Deba

deba1.jpg

Wait ! you found a knife in the woods .
Were is this magical place .

It is quite magical... One of my favorite foraging spots as well. I was walking along a trail I have dozens of times, and decided to take a peak of trail (take a piss, lol) and noticed what looked like a knife handle sticking out of the ground. A little tug like the sword in the stone, and behold... A dirty, old chefs kife, with a hill-billy handle. Pitting isn't that bad considering it was stuck in the dirt for god knows how long. It's become a fun project.

Mike, that deba looks like it will be a interesting project. What are your plans for it.

This thread is quickly becoming increasingly awesome!

Mike, I you can salvage that piece of wood from the handle, you should use it in the new one.

I was just about to post something along those lines about the handle too Tom, lol

And yes, great thread, actually, one of my favorites...

Nice Dexter and great story of finding the knife .
I love this thread.

The Deba came out nice I couldn't salvage the handle though. I'll get a pic this weekend. However this old Ekco Forge 8" slicer showed up and is a prime candidate for a conversion.

knife1_zpse6869b9f.jpg

Tang and machi laid out and bandsawed
knife2_zps48a122ad.jpg

The choil is ground and I clipped the tip a little like a suj then got it ready for a working edge
knife3_zpsf07078c3.jpg

Great work! I like the combinations.

Interesting because the knife that sees the most work is a ODC :) 1095 custom that is starting to form a great patina. A little more modern with a CF handle but really a joy to use and sharpen.

DSC_0871.jpg

^ any history on that knife? Looks interesting. The handle looks cool, but more interested were the knife began?

Also, any pics of the deba Mike? And how's the Ekco coming?

Back