Passaround: SharpWorx Professional Guided Free Hand Sharpener

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sansho

(͡° ͜ʖ°͡)
Reaction score
@SharpWorx has offered a guided sharpening system for us to play around with:

https://sharpworx.com/product/sharpworx-professional-guided-free-hand-sharpener/https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/guided-free-hand-sharpener-sharpworx-professional.60482/
who wants in? total slots TBD.

terms:
  • have at least ~100 posts
  • keep the tool for ~5–7 days
  • share your thoughts
  • pay to ship it insured for $450 to the next guy
reply with your country and ideally city and state.

1676520505506.png

Last edited:
I’d be very interested in seeing what people think of this sharpener. I’ve been debating a guided system for a while since I just got my first stone and so far i’m completely awful freehand lol

I'd be very interested to hear people's thoughts about it and by a special discount to KKF members.

@sansho. I’m glad you got it! Please take a sticker before you pass it on.

Everyone, thanks for signing up for the pass around. I am eager to hear the feedback. Please share the good and the bad. If bad please try to propose a way to solve the issue so I can incorporate your feedback in future designs. This is a brand new system so I expect some things can be improved.

A few improvements already coming.
- symmetrical clamp with adjustable width and lower profile clamp for shallower angles.
-thinner rubber and larger magnet for magnetic holder
- rubber pad for vertical rod base because the sharpener was sliding.
- customized box with foam insert
- instructions
- thumb screws to lock in angles instead of using a hex key

Last edited:
thanks @SharpWorx

i'll share pics and a writeup soon.

sorry for slacking – i've kept it longer than i was supposed to. was really busy over the last week and haven't been cooking or doing knife stuff. i'll figure out the passaround order and try to get it off to the next guy on monday.

@SharpWorx

still working on my writeup, and i already sent it to the next guy, but i have a question.

i was just watching your yt chan, and i realized that i was using it backwards the whole time. i had the blade edge facing me instead of away from me!

when i sharpen freehand, i always have the edge facing me because i sharpen ambidextrous style (i change hand roles when i flip the knife over). so i guess that's why i set it up like that, lol.

it seemed to work fine, but i'm wondering if there are any reasons why it might work better one way vs another. the normal clamp has a handle that you can use with the blade facing away from you. is that all?

i'm guessing the angle indicator works fine either way.

Last edited:
@SharpWorx

still working on my writeup, and i already sent it to the next guy, but i have a question.

i was just watching your yt chan, and i realized that i was using it backwards the whole time. i had the blade edge facing me instead of away from me!

when i sharpen freehand, i always have the edge facing me because i sharpen ambidextrous style (i change hand roles when i flip the knife over). so i guess that's why i set it up like that, lol.

it seemed to work fine, but i'm wondering if there are any reasons why it might work better one way vs another. the normal clamp has a handle that you can use with the blade facing away from you. is that all?

i'm guessing the angle indicator works fine either way.
I don’t think that is an issue, I just don’t do it that way.

I designed the sharpener because I wanted to sharpen like the experts here without all of the practice you have gone through. So I consider myself someone still learning about sharpening so hearing different ways it can be used it helpful to me.

I have also thought about moving the vertical rod and base from the from of the stone to the side to allow for the blade edge to be parallel with the stone. The vertical rod would essentially be on a moveable base. I’ve seen sharpening where the edge is parallel with the stone’s long direction on YouTube. This system cannot do that in the current configuration because the knife essentially tips over when the edge of the knife is not perpendicular to the horizontal rod.

n.b. to someone considering buying this... i know i sound overly preoccupied with edge angle consistency, and you can probably ignore that. i think you generally get a pretty consistent, even looking bevel.

1678836496357.png

this was my first time using a guided system, and i like it a lot.

aside from SharpWorx Pro (SWP), i am also somewhat familiar with TSPROF because i had considered getting one in the past. it seems like one of the leading products in this space, and it has a lot of design refinements. beyond that, i have only very limited familiarity with a few other systems.

the SWP is very attractive to me because of the static abrasive concept. i already have stones that i like, and accepting bench stones gives you essentially endless abrasive options. i think it could be less attractive to someone who hasn't already invested in stones though because bench sized stones can be more expensive than the little things used on TSPROF-like systems.

imo, it is desirable for the dynamic part to be as light as possible as that gives you better control over movement and pressure. making it lighter also mitigates tool crash consequences. dynamic abrasive can be pretty light. dynamic knife is heavier. so anything that can be done to reduce the weight of the clamp(s) in SWP is probably good.

on to the clamps...

i know you're going to thumbscrews for the angle adjuster. one thing that bugged me was that two different sizes of hex driver were needed, lol. another thing... on the fasteners that lock the angle adjuster, the washers are not captive. if you need washers for the thumbscrews, maybe you could add a some kind of retaining washer to retain the main washer. maybe like thin plastic kind with an overall diameter smaller than the slot diameter.

the magnetic clamp is pretty cool, and i have not seen this concept in other products. it gives you pretty low achievable angle. you could even use it for thinning, but i'm not sure if you would actually want to. as i understand it, you frequently change the angle and pressure point in thinning to remove metal where you want. i'm not an experienced thinner, so maybe someone else could share their thoughts about that.

the blade and spine of a knife might not be parallel. i first thought to set up the adjustable spine stop at an angle to make the blade edge parallel to the clamp edge, but i realized that's a fail when you go to flip the knife over in the clamp. it would be sweet if the clamp itself were flippable, but alas.

it's interesting how the swarf builds up on the blade because of the magnet.

i managed to use this petty in it just fine:

1678838186458.png

but i think you can't use a knife much shorter in height. the magnet needs at least so much purchase for good clamping.

the magnetic clamp is not flippable, so you have to remove the knife every flip. that was kind of annoying, especially because i like to flip regularly on the final, low pressure, edge leading strokes (stone stropping).

i know you're planning on increasing the magnetic clamping pressure by using stronger magnets and reducing the distance to them. i think that's good because i had to be careful about how i held it to ensure angle consistency. i tried to hold it with at least one hand like this:

1678838559416.png

thumb on the clamp, index below the blade. basically, i was manually adding extra clamp force. increasing the clamp pressure will help with that, but i hope it doesn't make flipping too much more annoying.

have you considered a design that utilizes magnetic field shunting (like magswitch magsquare, see demo) "switch off"? it adds cost, complexity, bulk, and mass (which i know i just said is bad for the dynamic side), but it could be pretty cool.

on to the normal clamp. the current one is ok, but i'm glad you're upgrading it. i won't go into too much detail since it's not making it to the next design iteration anyway. i managed to sharpen a sypderco chaparral, but i think you can't go much smaller with it:

1678841114315.png

i do ok, but i'm honestly not that good of a sharpener. i have trouble with angle consistency, curved blade sections, tips, etc. i do manage, and i get my kitchen knives sharp enough freehand. however, i have a lot of trouble with pocket knives, and i find few opportunities to practice. this blade is basically entirely curved, and it's small, so the muscle memory from kitchen knife sharpening doesn't translate well to it.

with the SWP, i reset the spyderco chap bevel to something nice, even, and fairly crisp looking. it's the sharpest i've ever managed to get the thing. freehand, i couldn't get it as sharp as it came from the factory, so i'm very happy.

i saw your rapid prototyping in your new vid. the clamp design looks a lot like TSPROF. not sure if you were inspired by theirs, but if you haven't looked at it, you should. they might have the best clamp design, so might as well rip it off or even see if you can improve upon it.

the 'level joint' on the vertical rod adds a horizontal offset (illustrated in my prev pic... green lines). have you ever considered canceling that offset by moving the vertical rod over ~1cm left or right to put the horizontal rod in line with the stone holder's centerline (red line)? i.e. make the part of the base that holds the vertical rod a scalene triangle instead of isoceles. i don't think it would add cost or bulk to the design. you may notice that i have the stone mounted offset. i couldn't help myself, lol. this ties into my preoccupation with angle consistency across the stroke. also, with some knives (like this pocket knife), you can't move the blade heel past the edge of the stone. the ricasso or thumb guard or whatever gets in the way.

after several hours of use, i noticed that the level joint got squeaky and was no longer smooth. taking it apart and putting it back together fixed the issue, and i'm not sure what went wrong, but would it be good some kind of washers at the fastener head and at the locknut? i was surprised to see that missing. assembly mistake, or is it really not needed?

1678841245338.png

1678841780561.png

i am also noticing a distinct absence of low-µ polymer in this project. maybe this could be a good spot for ptfe or delrin, lol. i endorse any project that uses delrin. for example, on the right side in the above pics: level block, delrin washer, thin metal washer (to distribute the clamping load), bolt head. or two more thrust bearings + washers, lol.

Last edited:
when i used it, i started with a very fine stone and sharpie. this lets you see how the angle's going to look on your knife, and you could use that method to match a pre-existing primary bevel.

when you change stones, be sure to re-level the horizontal bar if the stone height changes. the bevel angle will change if you forget to do this.

on my kitchen knives, i noticed that it took quite a while to reset the bevel by the tip. i know when i freestyle sharpen, the angle probably changes when the knife curves (it must get more acute). the SWP probably does this too, but maybe less than my freehanding.

i noticed more of an issue here on thinner knives. flexing is probably bad.

Last edited:
have you ever tried to characterize the angle inconsistency across stroke in various real world conditions in solidworks or pro/E or whatever you're using? e.g.
  • at the front vs back of a 10" stone?
  • how does the angle between the horizontal bar and the stone's longitudinal axis (when viewed from above) change it? call this angle the bar–stone angle.. or BS angle (lol)... or φ
  • what about a long knife? is it better to re-clamp a long knife as you work along the edge? i'm guessing the combination of 'inconsistency functions' (sharpening angle error as a function of φ) would just lead to convexing at sections of overlap.
  • curved sections, tips
is it possible to overcome this somehow? more DOFs?

you had said this to me previously in an email:

SharpWorx said:
The angle between the base and stone need to be the same as the horizontal rod. Otherwise the angle will change during the stroke.

did you mean that you need to minimize φ to minimize sharpening angle change?

have you seen this paper?

Informal Notes on the Geometry and Kinematics of Guided-Rod Sharpening Systems – Anthony K. Yan (2013)

Last edited:
in conclusion, i like it, and i'll seriously consider buying one when the new one's out.

hey! unfortunately I had some grandma issues so I didn't get to try it out as much as I had liked, also the reason why I've had it longer, but it's going to be headed out to @Hockey3081 tomorrow and I'll try to get my thoughts down to post about it.

Back