Passaround: SharpWorx Professional Guided Free Hand Sharpener

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was really looking forward to using it, but I've been swamped with work and getting ready for a trip. I'll be mailing it today or tomorrow.

My apologies to everyone for the delay. I had some personal issues that needed to be taken care of. I didn't get a chance to use it, so no review from me. I mailed it out to @Gshep91 today.

Again, my apologies for the delay.

Has anybody ventured to HHT?

A guided system like this should perform HHT unstropped, especially if you follow Kraichuk’s recommendations on angle and microbevel.

Got this a few days ago and gave it a pretty good workout. Small knives and big knives. Thanks to SharpWorx for letting us all try this. First the pros: machined nicely, and a great idea to keep the stone stationary and move the knife. All the fittings are top notch and the screws that should be thumbscrews will be changed in the new version. The cons: The magnetic holder did not work very well. I kept pushing it off the magnet, regardless of the size of the knife. This is going to be changed in the new version with less rubber so there is more magnetic force. Not sure anything less than doubling the force will work. The other knife holder is also going to be changed, and I would say that is a good idea also. I kept hitting the holder on the stone. Guess I press too hard, or sharpened at too slight an angle. Or maybe I just couldn't wrap my head around how to use it properly. I really wanted to like this and I still might. Going to give it another workout today or tomorrow and then it will be in the mail to the next person. Need a PM from the next person in line with address. Will write up my next workout and hope that I can be more successfull.

Got this a few days ago and gave it a pretty good workout. Small knives and big knives. Thanks to SharpWorx for letting us all try this. First the pros: machined nicely, and a great idea to keep the stone stationary and move the knife. All the fittings are top notch and the screws that should be thumbscrews will be changed in the new version. The cons: The magnetic holder did not work very well. I kept pushing it off the magnet, regardless of the size of the knife. This is going to be changed in the new version with less rubber so there is more magnetic force. Not sure anything less than doubling the force will work. The other knife holder is also going to be changed, and I would say that is a good idea also. I kept hitting the holder on the stone. Guess I press too hard, or sharpened at too slight an angle. Or maybe I just couldn't wrap my head around how to use it properly. I really wanted to like this and I still might. Going to give it another workout today or tomorrow and then it will be in the mail to the next person. Need a PM from the next person in line with address. Will write up my next workout and hope that I can be more successfull.
It doesn't work well if you force it. Forget what you know from free handing and let it guide you.

OK. Took the advice of letting the guide do the work and things worked out much better. Got three knives at least as sharp if not sharper than I would get the free hand. I do have a BIG SUGGESTION TO SHARPWORX.

Send out the new clamps to me or the next person. Seems pointless to use it when it is being upgraded considerably. I'd be happy to send the old clamps back to Sharpworx and happy to try out the new clamps. The clamps are the part I like least. Both of the clamps. I am going to keep trying with a couple more knives and will get it out on Monday, if SHARPWORX does not want to send out upgraded clamps. I think seeing the poor number of people writing up their views, that they were not pleased. Seems pointless to keep trying what the developer considers to be an item that needed changes. Will post again after my next session.

Finished up with the SharpWorx this morning and will clean it up and put it in the mail to the next reviewer. Really seems rather pointless as the major beefs I have with it (the knife holders) are being revised. Guess the developer does not look at these post and is not going to take my suggestion to send the upgraded holders to the next person. Last knife I tried it on with a Carter. Came really sharp and even, but the holder (not the magnetic one) was still a hassle. Don't know if I would sink $400+ into it, but with my impulsive nature I just night do it late at night. Would question the point of a magnetic holder at all, and would rather see the savings on eliminating it all together. On to the next member.

Finished up with the SharpWorx this morning and will clean it up and put it in the mail to the next reviewer. Really seems rather pointless as the major beefs I have with it (the knife holders) are being revised. Guess the developer does not look at these post and is not going to take my suggestion to send the upgraded holders to the next person. Last knife I tried it on with a Carter. Came really sharp and even, but the holder (not the magnetic one) was still a hassle. Don't know if I would sink $400+ into it, but with my impulsive nature I just night do it late at night. Would question the point of a magnetic holder at all, and would rather see the savings on eliminating it all together. On to the next member.
I really like the idea of the magnetic holder, if it can be made to work well. It is much easier to check progress and such with the magnetic holder.

I have some in inventory and have a shipment coming shortly. Once I have the larger shipment I think would be a good time to send out another one. Maybe end of August?
Would be nice to test your “best” version. Telling you things you already know about the old one doesn’t seem beneficial.
Feedback on an improved system would allow even more improvement

I have a few in inventory for sales and am waiting for the remaining from the batch to arrive. Once I have them in stock I'm up for doing another pass around.

Has anybody ventured to HHT?

A guided system like this should perform HHT unstropped, especially if you follow Kraichuk’s recommendations on angle and microbevel.

care to elaborate?

care to elaborate?
I’m thinking of pp. 32–35 and onwards

IMG_7366.jpeg

IMG_7367.jpeg

IMG_7365.jpeg

I have been negligent in posting, my apologies. I’d kept meaning to drop the system back off in person, but regrettably that hasn’t happened and it’ll be back where it belongs tomorrow.

My use of the system was constrained to a single day, but I think I got a good feel for it. To start, I don’t think I’m the target audience for a system. I sharpen often on a wide range of knives and am comfortable calling myself proficient at most tasks knife & stone related at this point. I think there is value in such a system for someone who wants to get to good results quickly without practice. I got good sharpening results in my testing for sure. I’m not sure I got anything better than what I’d expect to get doing it free hand, but it was certainly a clean crisp apex. I found the blade holding apparatus(es) a bit fiddly and bulky but otherwise everything is exceptionally well thought out and intuitive. A great idea well executed. I do think it was hard to get really light finish strokes like I prefer to do normally with the extra weight of the clamp to deal with, but that’s a personal thing.

I bought their Sharpworx Master 2 and I am quite disappointed with it. My arthritis is getting worse so I am looking for some kind of guide system that allows me to use my stones as keeping an angle is getting harder. I have read all the comments and the version I received may not be the version that was passed around. The magnetic clamp is very strong and I nearly cut myself twice trying to get my knives off to flip over (it didn't come with the clamp I saw on the YouTube videos I watched) and I also scratched one of my knives getting it off. I found it hard with my 240mm Gyuto mostly because of the length and the angle markings were way off for me (I checked it with my digital angle cube). I tried to return it but was sent a link to their return policy which states the following

"To be eligible for a return, the item must be unused, in the same condition that you received it, and in the original packaging. You must also provide proof of purchase. We do not accept returns on special promotions such as BOGO.

To return your product you must request a RMA number. Once you receive you RMA, your return should be shipped to the address provided in the email. You will be responsible for paying the original, return shipping costs, and a 25% restocking fee. We recommend using a trackable shipping service and purchasing shipping insurance as we cannot guarantee that we will receive your returned item.

Once we receive your returned item, we will inspect it and notify you of the status of your refund. If your return is approved, we will initiate a refund to your original method of payment. Please note that it may take some time for the refund to appear in your account depending on your bank or credit card company's policies."

Seeing that I had to try it to see if it worked, I was not able to return it, I didn't contact the seller as I didn't want to get into a discussion about their return policy (25% restocking fee seems a bit high to me). If this worked for you then fair enough but with a return policy like this, I will not be recommending it to others I talk to.

I bought their Sharpworx Master 2 and I am quite disappointed with it. My arthritis is getting worse so I am looking for some kind of guide system that allows me to use my stones as keeping an angle is getting harder. I have read all the comments and the version I received may not be the version that was passed around. The magnetic clamp is very strong and I nearly cut myself twice trying to get my knives off to flip over (it didn't come with the clamp I saw on the YouTube videos I watched) and I also scratched one of my knives getting it off. I found it hard with my 240mm Gyuto mostly because of the length and the angle markings were way off for me (I checked it with my digital angle cube). I tried to return it but was sent a link to their return policy which states the following

"To be eligible for a return, the item must be unused, in the same condition that you received it, and in the original packaging. You must also provide proof of purchase. We do not accept returns on special promotions such as BOGO.

To return your product you must request a RMA number. Once you receive you RMA, your return should be shipped to the address provided in the email. You will be responsible for paying the original, return shipping costs, and a 25% restocking fee. We recommend using a trackable shipping service and purchasing shipping insurance as we cannot guarantee that we will receive your returned item.

Once we receive your returned item, we will inspect it and notify you of the status of your refund. If your return is approved, we will initiate a refund to your original method of payment. Please note that it may take some time for the refund to appear in your account depending on your bank or credit card company's policies."

Seeing that I had to try it to see if it worked, I was not able to return it, I didn't contact the seller as I didn't want to get into a discussion about their return policy (25% restocking fee seems a bit high to me). If this worked for you then fair enough but with a return policy like this, I will not be recommending it to others I talk to.
Did you buy it from the manufacturer directly or their dealer or private 3rd party? if it's direct and the product is different than advertised then you should be able to return it. Obviously videos maybe outdated and product maybe upgraded since then, but if that video is on the product page, then they should note it. If the video is just on their yt page, then likely not. I guess what I am saying is there are many many caveats there and we need a bit more details.

As for their return policy, it's pretty hard one and def discourages trials, etc, but I imagine it's there because it's a very small business and it was up to you to read their faq and return policy before making the decision.

I am also thinking about this system, but waiting for v3.0 when hopefully a lot of concerns mentioned here will be addressed, however, without a passaround, I dont think i'd ever buy it because such systems are REALLY picky when it comes to individuals workflow, experience, and engineering savvy (what to adjust and where), so I would need to use it for 1-2 weeks before being able to take the plunge.

Back