Pepper Mill Suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only reason I bother to grind salt is because I've been struggling to find unrefined salts in a fine / pre-ground form. Unless you pay 10x as much for it... and then it's often still on the coarser side.
Oh that's interesting! I've never understood salt grinders, but that's a really good reason for owning one.

Just ordered the Craig Lyn after ordering more peppercorns. I need a dedicated grinder for those long Kampot peppercorns doncha know! I seriously considered the pepper cannon, but like the looks of the CL grinder a bit better.
Initial impressions on the CL.
Positives: it works well, great adjustability, great consitency, good quantity, feels great to hold, love the magnetic cap, and adequately grinds long pepper.
Negatives: the long pepper puts up quite a fight and requires a bit of force to grind, but it does make consistent grounds. Probably the strongest negative is the feel when turning (before pepper was added) is not as silky smooth as the look and feel suggest it will be—the mechanism feels/sounds a bit metal on metal grindy.

Can it be tightened up too much? Perhaps a drop of oil in the central column may help? Other than that...I'd contact the manufacturer as at this price point it should be outperforming anything...
When empty (when I turn it upside down) mine (which IMHO is essentially identical) feels super smooth at setting 4.

Can it be tightened up too much? Perhaps a drop of oil in the central column may help? Other than that...I'd contact the manufacturer as at this price point it should be outperforming anything...
When empty (when I turn it upside down) mine (which IMHO is essentially identical) feels super smooth at setting 4.
Marcel,
It's only because of the price that the feel is even mentionable. I figure I'll use it a bit and then try it with other peppercorns as the long pepper may have something to do with it. (It had arrived when I was in Korea so I opened it and filled it when I got home. Jetlagged, I don't remember whether I tried the motion before I put the long peppercorns in it).

As an aside, I was quite taken aback with the smell and flavor of the long peppercorns. While still "peppery", they are a lot different than Kampot or Telicherry.

Last edited:
i have some long pepper i've been meaning to try but have been afraid to put in my CL SPM.

did you break them up into chunks first?

you're right. i just loaded my SPM with long pepper, and it takes it like a champ.

Latest posts

Back