Pepper

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a new one to me. I know and like pineapple with cayenne but hadn't heard of that combo before.

Stefan

That combi happens alot around here, when they serve cantaloup with proscuitto slivers. Black pepper gets grated all over the dish.

Haha yes Bruce is evil... I saw that set, but I wanted to see something with more variance between the salt and pepper mills, almost as dark as the amphora design.

At that price, and considering that I'll only make this purchase once in my lifetime... I'll just sit around and admire Bruce's handiwork for now. I'm confident a purchase will happen in the future when i see a set that just reaches out and gets me.

Once again, from my own individual feedback (sample size of 1) - I love the contemporary designs more than the traditional designs. I think contemporary designs really bring out the character of the richer woods and elevates them to a totally different level.

I see what you are saying Tristan. I prefer the B&W Ebony that is predominantly black, bu that has become harder to get. I will check the "woodpile" and see what I have. Your comments are interesting. I consider the Moderna to be more contemporary but also more limiting. Many people are strongly attracted to it and will not consider other designs. I consider the others to be more classical and could blend in anywhere.

Bruce

OK you Sons of B's, I finally ordered the black pepper sampler and a few salts from Pepper Passion.
I generally try to keep 4 pepper (3 black, 1 white) and 2 salt mills in service so that I have some options.
I should get a feel for the different types sooner that later. I'm excited for it.
I will try and remember to post some impressions.

I also ordered up a big order of New Mexico chilis and powders from Los Chileros, http://www.loschileros.com/chiles.html
They are the real deal if any of you are in the market. There ain't much better than super fresh NM chili powder! They have a southwest blackening rub that's the bees knees on fish too. That's actually what spurred my order, the Mrs get to jonesin' for blacked salmon and after last weekend we have run down to our last 2oz.

I think I've spent more money on pepper and chili powder this month than I have knives, ***?

Just a friendly holiday reminder, order your pepper.
I'm all out :beatinghead::cry:

Bruce here at Pepper-Passion. We have an all-new web site that went live about three weeks ago. It is faster, easier to navigate, and seems to work much better. We are still trying to figure out how to use the new coupon module. The coupon code is"malabar". It is case sensitive so use lower case. Hopefully it will work.

Bruce

I think Penzeys says 1 year on their site.

Picked up a black pepper sampler last time i was back in the states, it is awesome! Friends tells me i'm nuts and then i ask them to compare the standars "black pepper" that we get in Sweden with that from Pepper-passion. Usually the discussion changes direction after that.:laugh:

I've had a number of pepper grinders over the years. We have an Olde Thompson pewter set that has been going very well for about 33 years. I've since gotten an acrylic set from them that failed in a year or so.

The best I've used is a Trudeau. It cost about $70 here in Australia (everything is expensive here). It's comparatively heavy but grinds very smoothly.

Is it possible to visit pepper-passion in person? Wife and I travel to Everett and Sammamish a lot.

Send him a pm and find out. My monthly trip to penzeys is something I look forward to.

Met another peppermill maker last month. Jim Smith owns "The Peppermill Store" in St. Pete, FL. www.allaboutmills.com. His grinders turn out a lot of pepper -- closer to Magnum quantity then others I have seen. We got a spalted maple mill from him for the table. His online prices are similar to pepper-passion, but ours was a bit less as he was selling at a show. He just has mills though -- not all of the nice peppercorns that pepper-passion sells.

Sorry, I did not see the post above. I am subscribed to this thread but I have not been getting notification of new posts. We run out of our home but we do accept visitors by appointment. Our address is posted on the web site and you may contact me by email. I have a large number of wood blanks in stock and potential buyers can select what they want if they visit here. We are not exactly a "destination" business but we do enjoy meeting our customers when we can.

I love the snakewood salt and pepper grinder at pepper passion:thumbsup:

Were you referring to the single tall one or one of the sets? I have had those snakewood mills for a while and would like to move them. I am open to negotiate if you would like to give me a phone call. Bruce at 425-391-2430. Ther s nothing wrong with the mills but I was comparing the wood color and figure to a set I made about 5 years ago and these ones are not quite as spectacular.

Here I was happy with my shiny red Vic Firth pepper mill (being a drummer, I was drawn to Vic Firth from the start of my cooking career), then I had to read this thread and discover pepper passion and their bloodwood pepper mills.... now I have to go and buy one.

I ordered two of the black pepper "sampler packs" from Pepper-Passion (one of which I'll give to my father), which just arrived a few nights ago. I decided to try "Malabar" first, and so far, so good! Looking forward to trying them all in time, and settling on a favorite.

I am the owner of Pepper-Passion and saw a bunch of referrals coming from this forum so I thought I would check out what is going on. Being a part time professional woodworker I appreciate the virtue and the zen of seeking to obtain the perfect cutting edge, but let me say a few words about pepper.

As near as I can tell, we have the broadest selection of peppercorns available in the USA. We have eight black, three whites, two greens and rose. I know there are a few other obscure varieties out there but they are not available in the USA. It is true about the Talamanca Black no longer being available. We sold out last December and the farm no longer is planted in pepper.

The best advice I can offer a pepper lover is to try one of our sampler packs. The black peppercorn sampler pack is one of our best sellers and people love sampling the different varieties. The good news is that they are all unique and different in subtle ways just like good wines. It is a great way to compare and discover your personal favorite. Most repeat customers order the larger bags of their favorites after working their way through the samplers. We also have some "peppery" recipes to try. Best of all this is an affordable luxury.

Pepper mills is another topic altogether. My mills are handcrafted and downright expensive. Not affordable for all but a nice luxury if you like "jewelry"for your dining room table. The function is there but you are paying for art. I joke that the pepper "tastes better coming out of my mills".

Lastly, we have a permanent coupon code "MALABAR" for our repeat customers that will save you 10% off your order. Being a contrarian, I would prefer to give a better deal to my loyal repeat customers. I am also offering a $10.00 coupon to customers who register on our site and take the time to write a product rating/review for products that they have purchased from us. Hope you will give us a try. It is a fun ride.

Bruce Morgan
www.pepper-passion.com[/QUOTE
Hi Bruce,i live in Cairns in North Queensland and there is a pepper farm a few miles down the road from me.As far as I know it is the only pepper grower in Australia.I think they produce a beautiful pepper.They are called L+L pepper farm and you can read a little about them here - http://www.australiantropicalfoods.com/index.php/gourmet-foods/fruit-vegetables/
Thought this might be of interest to you?cheers.

Thanks for the tip. I sent them an email. I have also heard of a product called "Australian Mountain Berries". Not sure if this is a true pepper or something similar.

Bruce

Thanks for the tip. I sent them an email. I have also heard of a product called "Australian Mountain Berries". Not sure if this is a true pepper or something similar.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,mountain pepper is an Indigenous Berry.Its slightly peppery with a nice fruity taste.Goes great with red game meats in particular.You can also buy the pepper leaf from the same plant.Most of it comes from Tasmania as far as I know.It would be really nice in mulled wine but we dont really have the climate for that up here.Herbies spice is a well known Providore of high quality herbs and spices here in Oz,its usually who I get it from.Emu and Pepperberry are a match made in heaven.

I learned about Herbie a few years ago form an American expat and bought his book and contacted him. I asked where he sourced his red peppercorns and he was not very gracious about sharing information about his supplier. I understand that we are competitors in a sense but we are literally on opposite ends of the earth.

What about Long pepper ? I have some and it is awesome !! but difficult to grind.

Reviving an old thread:D. I was happy to see that PP is still in business and placed an order for a couple of blacks and a green pepper and am looking forward to trying them out.

yep, Pepper Passion still kicks butt as a great supplier. Next time one of us needs to order we should combine to share the shipping.

Thx Bill13 - I was just thinking about getting more peppercorns so this was most serendipitous! Ordered some for me as well today!
Reviving an old thread:D. I was happy to see that PP is still in business and placed an order for a couple of blacks and a green pepper and am looking forward to trying them out.

I just ordered from PP a month or so ago. The owner told me that they moved to a larger warehouse where the plan is to start carrying a whole line of spices. He has my attention.

Back