Pepper

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, Pepper Passion looks like a good source. Keep us posted on how long it takes.

I moved to Cambodia a few months ago. Here they have Kampot pepper--Cambodia's first Protected Geographical Indication product. My wife and I visited a pepper farm in that area, and of course bought a ridiculous amount of pepper. Our plan is to make some smaller vacuum packs for gifts. It's a very nice pepper.

Sounds like a great gift!

Hey Brianh - I ordered on Sun 10/31 (so probably only went through on Mon) arrived in San Diego on 11/9 so really about a week which isn't to shabby for a reasonable shipment.

Hope it all works out!

TjA

Got mine yesterday. They did not have the "normal" size of the cheaper green peppers I ordered so they gave me the small plus the small of the more expensive freeze dried version:doublethumbsup: Shipped USPS so that explains the long ship time.

Finally got my order today. Mark at PP was very gracious and actually refunded my purchase for the long delay. Wasn't expecting that! The Madagascar peppercorns are especially good. Not a lot of heat but nice smoke flavor. Very similar to hickory, exactly as they describe.

Pepper Passion has a limited quantity of two holiday samplers - a trio of peppercorns and a trio of sea salts:

Limited Quantities of Holiday Samplers

Happy Holidays! We're doing something different this year -- deep discounts, but very limited quantities! This week we have two sampler packs to offer:
Holiday Salt Sampler (20 available)
Three (3) bags of our most popular salts (Murray River, Fleur de Sel, and Salish Pacific). Sale Price $19.95
Holiday Pepper Sampler (35 available)
Three (3) bags of our most popular peppercorns (Lampong, Vietnamese, and Indian Green). SALE PRICE $14.95

Only while they last!

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered a holiday gift pack. Hope it arrives before the grinder is empty.

Ok, you guys convinced me and I made an order with Pepper Passion. Got some of all they had in stock except tellicherry of which I already had some really good stuff. Took a week so not too bad but communication was a little lacking (no notice of shipment etc.) I can deal with that and the quality of the product is superb....really fresh and I've been biting peppercorns for the last hour....who knew there was such a difference. Totally satisfied.

Now...for you professional chef types with lots of creativity.....If I wanted to highlight the difference in taste between the corns, what would be a good way? I'm thinking a black pepper brittle which I found interesting in a restaurant I tried recently. Other ideas so I could highlight the taste and aroma of the different peppercorns...other than just eating them lol. Other idea is peppercorn marshmallows....my youngest is turning into quite the cook/entrepreneur. She is selling marshmallows and macaroons (i'll match hers against anyones...seriously!) and always looking for new flavors.

For you "tattooed chimps" (not my quote lol) out there she is also a talented artist with an interest in tattoos..

Octopus.jpg

goldfish.jpg

Reading some old threads and came across this one. I usually only cook for one or two people at a time, but I feel like I use much more pepper on things than your average person. That said, it took me more than three years to go through all the pepper in the large sampler I ordered from this place!

I just got a 1 pound of Malabar peppercorns from an Amazon seller with good ratings. Pepper is good, but I really enjoyed the Madagascar from Pepper Passion aka Sir Spice the bets so far. Low heat, but hints of smoke.

I narrowly avoided a purchase in the past. Just retread all this and bought the black pepper sampler from Pepper Passion, which is now Sir Spice. Looking forward to comparing it to the Costco Telicherry we have been using for years.

I realize that this is a very old thread. This thread, and in particular, the posts of mrdrinky is responsible for causing me to spend more money on peppercorns than I used to.
I enjoyed the Tellicherry and Lampong peppercorns from sirspice (formerly pepperpassion), but you may have noticed that their prices have skyrocketed.

I found an even better Tellicherry peppercorn that is more fragrant and has slightly more flavor that even the excellent SirSpice peppercorns. In addition, the peppercorns from ReluctantTrading are much less expensive, and the customer service and speed of delivery is outstanding. reluctanttrading.com

These peppercorns are very large, and my Unicorn pepper mill works well with them, but the might be slightly too large for some mills such as the peugeot.
reluctanttrader sells some other spices, but unfortunately for me, they don't carry other peppercorns such as lampong. I highly recommend reluctanttrader Tellicherry peppercorns.

Last edited:
I concur with Nife,
My fave peppercorns are Tellicherry. (Costco)
Definitely needed for KFC clone seasoning (avec the "secret" 99X)
Always use the Unicorn Magnum Plus mill ..& go through way too much! ;-)

Semi off topic..had crusty Italian bread with a tiny dipping bowl of EVOO at a nice Italian restaurant ..they had the tiniest sprinkles of finely crushed pink peppercorns in it..odd flavour but nice!

I have been using atlas grinder for the past 10 years. I have 1 for black and 1 for white. They have new broke, take a beautiful patina, grind the pepper beautifully and quickly and I'll probably have them my whole career

I see I need to try Tellicherry. Until now I am Kampot guy. This papper tastes really the best. Real pepper taste. Just this weekend I bought a few oz.

Back