Pet peeves

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
from home cook's point of view...

-someone looking over my shoulders (to make sure that I'm doing things right)
-piling up dirty dishes and utensils (and this means I have to clean up afterwards)
-leaving knives (and yelling at the parents and friends for touching them)

also, i have to share my complaints about how my tiny kitchen is build
-i hate our electric stove
-counter is so high that i'm on my tip toe
-our sink is way too small
-ventilation doesn't help at all

okay, i have to say something nice also so that i don't sound too angry...

i love our tiny kitchen... cooking is always fun when someone is around :) my home in Japan and here in LA, I always have a good time cooking and sharing that time with my family.

Been wanting to add another one. People not watching their flame. Drives me nuts seeing a giant blue flame wrapped around a small pot. I spin into an even greater orbit when people aren't paying attention and yellow flames are under the pot. GRRR.....

-AJ

How about people who could do what they're doing twice as fast.

I have a dishwasher who, when we send him to pick up the ground meat from the butcher every morning, spends 30 minutes looking at snowboards in the ski shop. He also goes there to poop. I can't figure out why the boss wont fire him. That's sort of a pet peeve on two levels: dishwashers who walk across town for their daily constitutional, and owners who wont fire incredibly awful employees.

I asked my boss pretty much the same thing one day, about a dishwasher we had. He said "he shows up, and I can't find anyone to take his place."

I keep saying dishwasher is the best job in the house.

from home cook's point of view...

-someone looking over my shoulders (to make sure that I'm doing things right)
-piling up dirty dishes and utensils (and this means I have to clean up afterwards)
-leaving knives (and yelling at the parents and friends for touching them)

LMOL, I can see my misis saying similar things.

From servers:

hearing "not my table"
lack of comminication
those who do not aspire to be career servers and express it aloud or through their work
excessive perfume/cologne; no one wants to smell a french cathouse
lazy, whining, rambling
do not pay attention during pre-service/don't care to learn menu
catty BS

in the kitchen:
babbling, dirty (hands, station, uniform, coolers), disrespectful of coworkers,
"not my job" crap
unprepared; tools, sharpie, uniform, dull knives
thieves; wether it's taking things home or mise, side towels, etc.
garbage can movers; get a ****** bain marie and keep it at your station
moving my things/touch my things/leave my things dirty after breaking rule #1
cell phones; if your aren't on the phone with a vendor it's going in the fryer
houdini act; leaving the line/expo without saying anything and for stupid reasons.
fail to prep/fill station; you left a spit sip of sauce in that squirt bottle?
fail to label/consolidate/FIFO
"well at _______ we used to do it this way"...i dont care
cooks who complain about heavy metal during prep time
idiots in general

Customers:
those who bring their kids and dont know how to behave
those who lie about allergies; had a lady stay with us claiming to be allergic to chlorophyl and vinegar...3 days later i spotted her eating a green salad with vinaigrette. dont like it fine but dont BS me.

People who incessantly steel the CRAP out of their knives!
And I mean hard with like 30lbs of pressure!
And DINK! DANK! SSSSCCCCRRRAAPPPEEE, SSSSCCCCRRRAAPPPEEE, SSSSCCCCRRRAAPPPEEE !!!
DINK!
DANK!
AAARRRGGRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!
Like the harder you push on that soft German steel is gonna get it sharper????
And doing it every 2 freakin' minutes!!!
STOP IT!!!!
I may be a little crazy about knives, but that is just totally uncalled for!

People that have decent, good sharp knives but refuse to use them.
Hey, I went outta my way to refurb or sharpen that knife and you're still gonna use a turdly 1980's Henckel to butcher fish and (attempt) to cut sushi????
Seriously!!!!]
What good does that knife do if it lives INSIDE your knife bag????

Oh yeah and also,
please please please tie the freaking garbage bag around the can. you know it's gonna slip and fall into the can if you don't!
Don't throw super dirty, greasy or mayonnaise-ey dishes in my sink of soapy water. How can you wash dishes with dirty water????
Close the door to the dumpster!
Wash your f-ing hands too!!!

Almost all mine have been covered here. But apathy, laziness and a bad attidtude are at my top of the list. My top top, cologne and perfume. Pisses me off every time.

Even worse are the servers who come into the kitchen and comment on the music.... "what are you listening to?!?!? Bla bla bla" just shut up and go do something productive please.

Good call, ha ha. People who complain about other peoples music so much they get nothing done really bother me.

What's worse...the excessive sterling of knives or the tools that do it as fast as they can without regard to what they are actually doing just so they can look cool?

Had a few of those in my group at school years ago and it always made me shake my head.

When I say I don't like other people using my knives, this is why :curse: :no: :noway::headbonk::spankarse:

IMAG0419.jpg

IMAG0426.jpg

IMAG0430.jpg

I was nowhere near it when it happened, when I went over and I actually saw it all I could say was "Hooooooooly ****!" Ach it doesn't bother me that much, it happens, not like he meant it, he just knocked it off the bench. He was very apologetic, and I guess that's part of the chance you take with fancy knives in a small kitchen. The only slight silver lining is that it wasn't my new 270 Rottman, it's way way thinner than the Kono and it would have fared a lot worse

I could almost do a WIP on fixing it!

What tends to bug me most is when other people do things that I see as character flaws with myself.
I start to snap at them but usually catch myself with the thought "like I'm one to talk".

That's so true. While I explain to someone what I find frustrating half way through I think wow that's what I do.

Small update. After 10-15 mins this what the Kono looks like. Not perfect, it's a bit stubbier but I like it that way, makes it less likely to happen again

From this
IMAG0430.jpg

To this
IMAG0444.jpg

Didn't lose much length, think it was a little long anyway
IMAG0453.jpg

Thought I'd thin it a bit more while I had the stones out anyway
IMAG0448.jpg

BS allergies, customers and servers both.
Phonecalls while on cigarette break, no issue with smokers (was one), but its not free time
servers not knowing the menu. getting a "no *whatever*" on a dish that doesn't contain it is annoying as f***
BS allergies. So. Much. Anger.

We got a new guy at work who whistles. Lots of Andy Griffith. Now I understand.

-AJ

Have another one. When we do events, give me a number. It irks me to no end when you tell me 85 people and 115 show up and your mad we ran out of food. Likewise, I get pissy when you tell me 100 and we cook for 100 and 60 show up. And don't do like yesterday and say we are serving a party of 150 but that could go up to 300. I don't do loaves and fishes like that other guy.

-AJ

Small update. After 10-15 mins this what the Kono looks like. Not perfect, it's a bit stubbier but I like it that way, makes it less likely to happen again

From this
IMAG0430.jpg

To this
IMAG0444.jpg

Didn't lose much length, think it was a little long anyway
IMAG0453.jpg

Thought I'd thin it a bit more while I had the stones out anyway
IMAG0448.jpg

i would really suggest grinding from the spine and then thinning the tip, until it's back how it was.

Yes I did grind the spine. It is a bit better looking now than it was in the photo but it is going to take a long time even on my Atoma to get it like it was. I don't mind it being a little stubbier, but it's still too fat. I've been grinding it a bit here and there since these photos and it is very slow progress

Back