Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm too digging that bottom Sab. It would be really interesting to go with a classic French profile, albeit a little thinner. Nt laser thin, but thinner than say the traditional French style

552396_10151109461012691_1757883574_n.jpg

old hickory profile wouldn't be so bad either =D

but yeah sabs is good

seems to me the top sab on is the original profile then when it got used the profile started to look like the one on the bottom.... just an observation (i'm more than likely wrong, lol)

Flat Sab/forgecraft hybrid. I think it should go with out saying at this point that there wouldn't be a finger guard style bolster. I'm thinking 3.5-4 mm at the spine choil point, convex grind down to 1mm or less at the heel. And a wicked distal taper. I'm trying to remember who had a custom updated Sab, I think it was Canadian, and I believe Pierre did it. I could be wrong on both those counts, but I really enjoyed the look of that knife in terms of profile. Anybody remember what I'm talking about?

If you are referring to this knife, I'd be happy to provide measurements. It is close to a Sabatier profile, but not exact. The tip is a little lower.

file_zps6a084c5b.jpg

file_zps682ba604.jpg

file_zps259490bc.jpg

I've got a question about the grind.

Why the "combo flat/upper convex (as I call it, almond) grind"? The best performing knives I've used/owned are extremely thin behind the edge, but were also convex ground on the lower half of the knife above the edge (e.g., SFGZ Carter - which is convexed in the lower half and concave in the upper half, Mario, Kochi, Gesshin Ginga - slightly convexed because it's a laser). Also, IIRC, the Tilman knife I used and the Gengetsu I used had convex grinds in the lower half of the blade above the edge.

Sab/KS shape sounds very interesting indeed. Skip the bolster for sure. Wa handle??? Nothing too flashy but utilitarian for the handle. I'm pretty attached to the flat left side in Japanese blades, but if the grind is right, I can get into a 50/50. I'd love to see something close to a Suisin IH in feel but with a bit more of the Sab/KS profile.

Technically, not flat...very very slight convex at the bottom. However, to go thin, it has to be fairly flat just above the edge. Convex up above "above the edge" for release. Though that will all be part of the testing stages. For now, profile is what we need to start with.

If you are referring to this knife, I'd be happy to provide measurements. It is close to a Sabatier profile, but not exact. The tip is a little lower.

file_zps6a084c5b.jpg

file_zps682ba604.jpg

file_zps259490bc.jpg

Yes! This is a nice profile IMO. Not to derail- but I think it's somewhat pertinent- how does it perform Rick? And I'm speaking strictly in regards to the blade profile btw.

Yes! This is a nice profile IMO. Not to derail- but I think it's somewhat pertinent- how does it perform Rick? And I'm speaking strictly in regards to the blade profile btw.

I agree. This profile looks really good. 01 somewhere at 61-63. I like both style handles but that'll be for later

Nah, I think we're gong with the whole kit on this one. Maybe it's ego, or a desire for order, but I want these to at least start out all the same. Don't worry, though, the handles will be great...when we get there. :D

Id like to be in on this, although I am not as knowledgable as most here on profiles and what not. Still love me a great knife.

I always loved the profile of the sab on the bottom. Nice flat spot without too much belly in the tip.
35sV6.jpg

+1 to that.

You can get vintage ones in carbon, though the blades are often bent. A new one in state-of-the-art semi-stainless, with an unbent blade and 3 brass rivets in the handle, would be a stone winner.

I would definitely be in on this! I really like the look of the bottom sab K-fed posted. And since it's an 'hommage' to ODC's I think it should be carbon and western handle. Maybe a take on forgecrafts handles. But what do I know? Great initiative, Tom!

The Sab profile seems to be a runaway favourite, so far. Do you guys like the slightly bellied tip, or is a flatter, more Kramer inspired tip better?

Pierre's interpretation of the Sabatier profile performs extremely well. The curve of the edge starts a bit earlier, and adds a "gyuto flavor" to the profile, if that makes any sense. I'd have to flip a coin to decide which I favor, Pierre's or the classic.

Pierre and I have bee discussing this all day, and we don't think it's a good idea to do an exact replica of anything. However, he would be more than fine with it being like his, but with a couple tweaks I'd like to see (and you guys). I'm thinking tighten up the ricasso, or even make it a bit angled, rather than curved. Thoughts?

Here is an old Lamson 10" - it has a very nice profile and I did not change anything when I refurbed and rehandled it.

attachment.php

Agreed that this knife should not be a copy, especially one of the custom makers we support on KKF.

k-fed's bottom sabatier profile in O1 @ 61 HRC sounds grand to me. I had suggested a forgecraft profile as that strikes me as an american knife (no doubt the result of KKF). And an updated version would be nice. However, a sabatier in harder steel is something that doesn't exist in the market (at least to my knowledge) and this would have much broader appeal.

Anyways, I'm down for a knife.

Last edited:
I wonder what the numbers are without even a sketch? This is great, guys!

Pierre and I have bee discussing this all day, and we don't think it's a good idea to do an exact replica of anything. However, he would be more than fine with it being like his, but with a couple tweaks I'd like to see (and you guys). I'm thinking tighten up the ricasso, or even make it a bit angled, rather than curved. Thoughts?

Honestly, the input seems fairly consistent and I think that with a little bit of 'help' from Pierre that you will wind up making something that works great for most everyone. That being said, I will show my ignorance (even after a site and google search) and ask what exactly is the ricasso? Seems to be near the handle, but I can't picture it even with pictures. :newhere:

It could also be the choil. Haha. To me, ricasso means anything past the bolster, towards the handle, in terms of kitchen knives, that doesn't have an edge.

Choil makes me think underside. Meh.

Hi guys, I'm with Tom on this one, with regards to copying a major brand. But tweaking, and changing thins enough to keep the "spirit" of the design is fairly safe. Don't be afraid of using my profile. Even tweaking it. I'm happy to use it.

Great, so this will be a true KKF knife. I'm in.

+1 for modern Sab: No bolster, CPM 154 or AEB-L steel, KKF etching, maybe really special lot of handle wood (from Burl Source perhaps?)

Saya or leather sheath to make it really special?

So why doesn't Pierre just do it?

Or is it too many knives for a small operation?

IMHO It would make it even more special to be made by one of us.

I've used the AEB-L that has come out of Lamson and it left a lot to be desired.

I'm totally in on this. Love the idea of the bottom Sab in carbon, but the singer cpm154 doesn't bad either. My choice would be carbon though.
As for the blade, a strong distal taper will be great! And I think a western "coke bottle" handle makes perfect sense, given the nature of the assignment, it's "origin" and the company making it. Lamson used to make a beautiful cherry wood handle, I have a couple, that wood look nice.

Tom, count me in!

I'd be nice if we could keep the steel, wood, etc. reasonable so that the price would be within the reach of some of us ordinary people...but I suspect that isn't likely to happen. ;-).

I'd be nice if we could keep the steel, wood, etc. reasonable so that the price would be within the reach of some of us ordinary people...but I suspect that isn't likely to happen. ;-).

I second this. Great idea though! If we can keep it under the $100 mark it'll be a knife for the people!

I second this. Great idea though! If we can keep it under the $100 mark it'll be a knife for the people!

Well, I think that would be too much to hope for (if even possible) but under 200 would be good. (Not gonna happen. <g>)

We'll try to keep it as low as we can. :D

Back