Possible Lamson Collaboration Line of Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's no problem. It's always a trade off of price vs quality. Depends what's more important to more of us. The artifex falls under $100 made by L&S but apparently not very good either. I'm still very interested how this'll turn out

If we commit, make it happen and test it thoroughly, as we will, it's gong to be one hell of a knife.

So why doesn't Pierre just do it?

Or is it too many knives for a small operation?

IMHO It would make it even more special to be made by one of us.

Correct me if I'm wrong here Tom-

I think a big part of this process is to help Lamson improve their overall product quality.

Definitely carbon, 01 is awesome or 52100 maybe.
Love the profile/style ideas guys, but I say meh to a 240, so I'm out.
Peace

I understand why you'd do a 240 but I am in the same boat as knyfenerd, I just don't use 'em. I do still find the process and idea interesting

Ouch!

And yeah, a lot of it is because I think they can do a great job with it at Lamson (we are the designers and QC).

My $.02:

I love the profile of the sab that K-Fed posted

Any chance of this being laminate instead of monosteel? That would allow stainless clad carbon, which might split the difference between the SS and Carbon guys.

Having recently acquired a Mario Gyuto-hiki, I absolutely love the distal taper...my first with a very strong one, so I second that.

As a lefty, I'm also keen on a lefty-friendly grind (though I've not had any discernible problem of this type on anything I've tried so far).

Any thoughts for a name/logo to put on these? If I read the two threads right, it sounds like any form of "KKF" is out? Any graphic designers on the forum? I know someone who does that for a living, I can ask them to assist with this if it would be helpful.

I'll say again, this is a great idea. I'll put in a vote for western, carbon. Perhaps 250 on the edge would suit 240 and 270 people.

I'd love to see a KS clone profile. A forgecraft profile is nice and fun to use but what's stopping me from just getting a forgecraft on ebay? Same with a sabatier? I'd love to see a western handle KS profile, strong distal taper with a bit of heft to the knife, not a laser by any means, but not a brute, built to be a cutter. Convex grind to a flat behind the edge. Good height to it, not takeda high, but not a gyuto/suji hybrid as I'd love to see a suji and a scimitar down the line if it's a good line and a short gyuto would then make the suji a bit redundant. It would also mean that you could get more life out of it with a bit of height, not a concern for most, but still would be nice. Carbon would be cool and would separate it from other knife lines. This has to be marketable to the knife community and what I would guess to be pros and serious hobby cooks. Doesn't seem to be the goal to produce another knife block set. I'm thinking like how the zwilling kramer has found a niche but, more like a refined working man's carbon knife than a showy piece to impress your sur la table friends. No mosaic pins, no gaudiness, just a knife that's beautiful in its simplicity. I could go either way on the forgemarks, but picking a carbon that develops a nice patina (W2? something else?) would be ideal and I think in the long run it would look better without the marks. It should not have any type of integrated bolster, such a pain when sharpening. I'm picturing a 3 rivet handle western handle, brass rivets, with a good width to it but no sharp edges to it. My old Masahiro VC rosewood handle comes to mind after I rounded it out a bit. Something that initially feels a bit big in the hand, but sturdy and form fitting because it's been rounded over. As lamson is a new england company, you could get a good looking handle using the Mass state tree (elm) or some other typical new england wood like maybe cherry. I think this would fit the motif I have in mind better than some crazy burl. Even hickory or ash would be good, but I'd prefer something with at least a honey type hue or darker, maybe with a reddish tint. I think the handle should be non-stabilized wood, something that will patina over time with the knife and have more of a warmth to it. I'd love to eventually see a 270 and even a 300 come out as I'm more partial to longer knives. It would be nice to have a leather sheath or have it come with a leather strop or something to make it unique, but if it's raises the price considerably, I think it would be fine without. A sub $200 knife would be ideal, and I think with the right material selection it could be doable. I'd love to be part of the testing. I work in two kitchens with heavy prep demands and would love to put it through the wringer.

Seeing as there sounds like a split on edge length, lets put it out there. Pick a number. 220-270 mm Whats the general preference?

ps, smaller rivets not the larger ones they use on most of their knives.

I like the sab idea (third profile down in photo). Length: 265. It seems as if many custom '240s' are around 260 anyhow.

k.

Edit: I have a 270 in AEB-L already. O1 or 52100 is fine with me. I'd still buy with CPM154.

A forgecraft profile is nice and fun to use but what's stopping me from just getting a forgecraft on ebay? Same with a sabatier? .
Maybe a superior steel and HT? I love my Forgecraft, especially the profile. It doesn't hold an acceptable edge long enough though, I'm sure the same can be said for a lot of ODC knives.
Build it stronger, better, some TV show I'm ripping off now.......

250 on the edge is under 10" - I'd prefer 260 - 270 on the edge. Any of the steels mentioned are fine - I threw the lamson pic up because it's a Sab like profile and who knows - they might still have that profile on the books.

Edge ~250 and price about $200, western handle, Sab profile, ~61 hardness, either O1 or 52100 -- whichever they are best at heat treating. Would probably get one for the house and one for a gift. If CPM154 would probably buy one for a gift, but probably not one for me.

250 is good for me. No KKF affiliation, though. I'm thinking I'll handle the sales and we can come up with a title for it as a group.

I'm absolutely in. I'll go for multiple knives, keep one and a few for gifts. I'm ready to take a ride to Shelburne Falls. The idea of a joint effort of experienced users is promising. I would also like to thank Dave for being gracious . What next Lefty, discussion of type, size, steel etc?

250 length. I think it's a tad more versatile. It would be nice to see a thicker spine closer to the choil. It's much comfier over long prep sessions. I have to wonder though- are we trying to come up with something that works well for us as knuts? Or try to apply some of the things we appreciate into a mass production style knife?

Search my latest posts and you will see I clearly made a post.

Anyway from what I can salvage/remember...

A good compromising length is 255mm, it's smack in the middle of 240-270 and I'd be willing to settle on that. O1 or 52100 hardened to 62-63, modified Sab profile, 2.5-3mm at the spine, "s" shaped grind, real thin behind the edge, 52mm height, distal taper, tapered tang, integral bolster, no fingerguard/full bolster, fully rounded spine and choil, stabilized burl handle, 1 mosaic pin.

Back